Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default TAMPA - Mike Pouncey will play his final game as a Florida football player on Saturda

TAMPA - Mike Pouncey will play his final game as a Florida football player on Saturday against Penn State in the Outback Bowl.

It's not how he envisioned his senior season ending when he decided last January to return without his twin brother, Maurkice. Mike figured he'd be competing for another national championship.

Instead, he suffered through five losses - the first time the Gators have lost that many regular-season games since 1988 - and season-long criticism of his move to center.

At the same time, his brother was drafted in the first round by the Pittsburgh Steelers, started every game for a team headed to the playoffs, and was announced as a Pro Bowl selection.

But Mike Pouncey says he isn't jealous and has no regrets about his decision to return to school.

"Everything happens for a reason," Pouncey said Wednesday. "We [he and his brother] talk about it all the time. I don't let stuff like that get to me. I just go out there and play football. It's been a blessing to play here, and it's been a blessing to be coached by Urban Meyer."

This season hasn't been as much of a blessing for Pouncey. There was conflict from the beginning.

First he had to yell at several freshmen - including highly touted recruits Sharrif Floyd and Dominique Easley - who were pouting and upset with the way they were being treated during preseason practices. Pouncey basically told them to shut up and remember their place, a message that had to be delivered but also a sign that the chemistry on the team wasn't as good as it needed to be.

Then came a disastrous season opener in which Pouncey had trouble with the shotgun snaps. He was off target all afternoon and sent a couple flying past quarterback John Brantley.

Since that game, Pouncey has had few troubles with snaps, but the offensive line didn't play up to expectations despite having four true or fifth-year senior starters.

The offense struggled, in part because of the line but also because Brantley wasn't a fit for the spread option offense.

Losses to Alabama, LSU, Mississippi State, South Carolina and Florida State kept the Gators from playing in the Southeastern Conference championship game for the third year in a row and ruined any chance of a BCS bowl.

Three days after UF received an invitation to the Outback Bowl, Meyer announced his resignation.

And Pouncey dealt with all of that without playing alongside his brother for the first time since they started playing organized sports.

They speak almost daily, and despite his brother's success and the knowledge that he could be playing in the NFL right now, Mike Pouncey only wished he hadn't come back for one quick moment.

"At first I did, but then now all the great news I'm getting about my draft stock I'm glad I came back," he said. "I really helped myself a lot this year."

Pouncey wouldn't elaborate on that news, but he's projected to be taken during the first three rounds. He hopes by the Steelers, so he can be reunited with his brother.

And in the first round, too.

"They tell my brother all the time they want to draft me, but they'll probably going to have the 32nd pick of the draft," Pouncey said, meaning he's picking the Steelers to win the Super Bowl.

First, however, he's playing against Penn State on Saturday, and that gives him a chance to finally do something his brother also did: finish his career with a victory.

"You want to go out a winner," Pouncey said. "That would be happy. It would obviously make everybody's year on the team."
Old 12-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Default Re: TAMPA - Mike Pouncey will play his final game as a Florida football player on Sat

i really want a corner in the 1st but i would love to trade up in the 2nd to land Mike Pouncey. i gurentee we would get them at a discount in a few years when there contracts are up just so they can stay together
Old 12-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124
Default Re: TAMPA - Mike Pouncey will play his final game as a Florida football player on Sat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i really want a corner in the 1st but i would love to trade up in the 2nd to land Mike Pouncey. i gurentee we would get them at a discount in a few years when there contracts are up just so they can stay together
I'd like to see a corner drafted as well. I'm tired of McFadden getting beat or allowing an easy 10 yard completion.

At the same time, it would be really cool to have Mike at RG. We know he has good genes.

The line is really a couple unfortunate injuries and a right guard from being pretty decent. Plus, imagine the chemestry having twins plying right beside one another. They could anchor the line for years to come.

Ideally we could draft a CB in the first, and hopefully see Mike fall to the end of the 2nd. Or we could always trade up in the 2nd to get him.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Pittsburgh is pretty militant about the way they draft. They're not going to take Pouncey just because their brothers.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Pittsburgh is pretty militant about the way they draft. They're not going to take Pouncey just because their brothers.
Thats for sure!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Best case scenario: Penn State (Go Nittany Lions!) rocks his ass, his draft stock falls, and we get him in the 2nd or 3rd.

Win-Win scenario for Steelers/Penn State fans
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

What makes anyone think there will be any decent corners left by the time the Steelers pick? They are going to pick no earlier than 24th and possibly 32nd : ) This team would be awesome with a better O-line. Hopefully Pouncey will drop in the draft because he had a less than stellar season. But he will probably be long gone by the time they reach the 48th to 64th pick. They would have to trade up for sure.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,026 Times in 412 Posts

Looks like the Steelers actually want to draft him.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
What makes anyone think there will be any decent corners left by the time the Steelers pick? They are going to pick no earlier than 24th and possibly 32nd : ) This team would be awesome with a better O-line. Hopefully Pouncey will drop in the draft because he had a less than stellar season. But he will probably be long gone by the time they reach the 48th to 64th pick. They would have to trade up for sure.
there are almost always decent corners left at that time, its whether or not you can find them
Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,026 Times in 412 Posts

Pouncey had a great block and the RB ran in for a TD. Luckily we don't need him to snap because he's not that good at it.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote