Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Steelers Pass defense is pretty good

I get frustrated when teams pick up 3rd and long or throw for short passes in between the 20's. But when you look at the numbers for this year, our pass defense has improved the last 6-7 weeks and the stats show it.

Although the team is 14th in passing yards given up, they are ranked 3rd in both TD's given up and opposing QB rating.

The yardage totals can be attributed to 2 major facts.
Teams can't run on the Steelers and they don't even try much. The run pass ratio against the Steelers defense is about 33-67%. In addtion, with an 11-4 record there have been several games where the opponent has been playing from behind and trying to catch up through the air.
steelerchad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: Steelers Pass defense is pretty good

I am not a big stat guy for the reason you mentioned. Teams can't run on us so they obviously turn to passing game or they are behind and rack up yards on prevent D. I do know looking at the pass defense as a fan I am not as confident as last 2 years. It reminds me of 2007 when our secondary was giving up a few big plays every game. This year its more of 15 yard cushion on wr's and giving them the underneath stuff. I guess you can't have it both ways if you are up on wr's then you are more susceptible to big plays. Hopefully Dick L is scheming as we speak on how to stop Brady. Everyone else I think we will take care of in playoffs defensively, offensively different story.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: Steelers Pass defense is pretty good

With all do respect to Lebeau, we seem to get into too much prevent or we don't bring any blitz.

Watching us play nickle the whole Patriots game was sickening. Even a QB as young as McCoy could pick us apart in that crap.