Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Five obstacles Steelers must overcome to win Super Bowl

Five obstacles Steelers must overcome to win Super Bowl
http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...e-to-win-super
Posted Dec. 31, 2010 @ 1:19 p.m. ET
By Jim Wexell

When the season started, the Steelers' odds to win the Super Bowl were 22-1 because their quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, had been suspended for the first four games.

But the Steelers survived the suspension with a 3-1 start, stayed relatively healthy, picked up steam in the second half and are now on the verge of clinching the division and a bye. They need a win Sunday over the Browns to clinch the AFC's No. 2 seed.

Even if they lose Sunday, the Steelers will enter the playoffs as a wild card with a chance to ride what fans are calling the "Stairway to Seven."

Of course, there are obstacles. Here are five:

1. Peyton Hillis — Only one time in franchise history have the tradition-rich Steelers allowed less than 3.0 yards per carry over the course of a season, and that was in 1943 when they combined with the Philadelphia Eagles to become the "Steagles." This team is allowing 3.04 per carry and a franchise-low 64.1 yards rushing per game. They need to do it one more time Sunday in Cleveland against Hillis, the Browns' powerful tailback.

2. Troy Polamalu — His availability for the regular-season finale hadn't been determined as of this writing, but the Steelers will need their star safety healthy in the playoffs. Before aggravating an ankle injury during an interception return for a touchdown against the Bengals, Polamalu was riding a streak of four consecutive game-changing plays, which coincided with the team's longest win streak this season.

3. Emmanuel Sanders — In a preseason preview on these pages, this rookie's development as the No. 3 WR was mentioned as a must if the Steelers were to ably replace Santonio Holmes. Well, Sanders' last two games have been his most productive with 132 yards on 11 catches. He has gained the trust of Roethlisberger at the right time, but, again, he's a rookie.

4. Jonathan Scott — The player most responsible for the loss to the Jets, the Steelers' left tackle was abruptly yanked from the next game for committing the same sin that allowed the Jets their safety. Scott returned to the lineup, but Max Starks' midseason injury replacement has yet to instill confidence as the key protector on Big Ben's blind side.

5. Tom Brady — The Patriots are killing everyone, but Brady in particular owns the Steelers and their cover-3 scheme with its big coverage cushions. Since he picked them apart in Week 10, the Steelers have played more press-man coverage — which will be a must when they face him next.

Jim Wexell is the publisher of SteelCityInsider.net.

(Here are three more obstacles to overcome. Feel free to add your own if you wish.

6. The officials who will ignore any hits to Ben no matter how flagrant, and flag any Steeler defender who even gets close to an opposing QB.

7. Roger Goodell's blatant favoritism in favor of the Cheats and his
hatred of the Steelers.

8. And the biggest obstacle to overcome, the incompetence of Air Head Arians. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: Five obstacles Steelers must overcome to win Super Bowl

I still can't believe #4.... Ok he let the guy blitz in, but our OC called the play with our LEAST powerful back in, and handing it off 2.5 yard deep in the end.

#8 i agree, I think #5 can be handled as long as we dont have our skirts on taking the WR's to tea parties.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

#4. Is BS

we left that game in the hands of the refs and they took it. That whole game was an absolute failure
Old 01-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I like this list pretty well here. I think that the Steelers must overcome most of all the unconsistency of our offense and the running game in particular. Mendenhall hasnt had many big games in a while and the game vs the Bills . . his last big game was a game that our team should have lost, thank goodness we didnt or we would be in the Ravens position right now of needing someone to lose to help their seeding.
This thing with Brady reminds me of '05 when we lost to the Colts in the Regular Season pretty handily and then returned to Indy for the Win vs the Colts in the Imaculate Tackle Game by Big Ben after Bettiss' lost fumble at the Colts goalline. I am not saying that season is gonna end like that season, but it is setting up for a nice rematch with the Patriots in their house and what a sweet way to get to the Super Bowl . . Going to New England and breaking another Patriots Streak.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Yeah, on # 7, i don't like to dig into 'conspiracy theories", but its painfully hard to watch him be all "chummy, chummy" with NE ownership.
I don't understand how you can have a league commissioner, who has a favorite team, and really hasn't even done alot to hide that fact.
That is deeply disturbing....
And on # 1, we have to stop Hillis right out of the gate. We CANNOT allow him to drag 3, 4 of our tacklers at a time or bull forward and take the pile forward and gain extra yards. He's a monster and we have to put the smack-down on him right at the beginning.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Yeah, on # 7, i don't like to dig into 'conspiracy theories", but its painfully hard to watch him be all "chummy, chummy" with NE ownership.
I don't understand how you can have a league commissioner, who has a favorite team, and really hasn't even done alot to hide that fact.
That is deeply disturbing....
And on # 1, we have to stop Hillis right out of the gate. We CANNOT allow him to drag 3, 4 of our tacklers at a time or bull forward and take the pile forward and gain extra yards. He's a monster and we have to put the smack-down on him right at the beginning.
Well in all my years in watching NFL football I've never read an article where the NFL commissioner was described as being a "stanch ally" of a team as Goodell is described as being for Kraft in this article.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=65115

I am not one for conspiracy theories either but even in other sports I can't recall where the commissioner of a league ever allowed himself to be described as a "stanch ally" of any particular team.

Does anyone actually think that the ref's and the other league officials don't know what team Goodell favors? They want to please their boss and stay employed so of course they do.

All it takes is a missing a call or making a bad call at the right time and Cheats will win. This stinks like the Black Sox scandal did and I think the fix is in for the Cheats to take the Super Bowl again.

After all the Patriots have CHEATED before.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,740 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
4. Jonathan Scott The player most responsible for the loss to the Jets, the Steelers' left tackle was abruptly yanked from the next game for committing the same sin that allowed the Jets their safety. Scott returned to the lineup, but Max Starks' midseason injury replacement has yet to instill confidence as the key protector on Big Ben's blind side.
did not like # 4

what about that fool calling the plays
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
did not like # 4

what about that fool calling the plays
That's why I added #8 and yes you are quite correct; Airhead is a fool.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
TOMK
Water Boy

Member Number: 17551

i agree god godell hates the steelers thats why ben takes a beating with no flags and the d gets flaged for everything. but airhead has got to go. let ben call the plays
TOMK is offline   Reply With Quote