Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-31-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Team-first Miller doesn't sweat personal statistics

Team-first Miller doesn't sweat personal statistics
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_716214.html
By John Grupp
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ben Roethlisberger shared an anecdote this week to illustrate tight end Heath Miller's team-first mentality.

"I'll come off to the sideline and ask him if he was open on a play, and he will tell me 'No,' Roethlisberger said. "I'll go look at it on film, and he was wide open."

Miller is concerned with individual accolades as much as he worries what is served at the Steelers' South Side cafeteria (Thursday lunch was steak salad, sauteed mushrooms and onion rings).

One year after a Pro Bowl season, he is lumbering near career-low totals in every receiving category.

And he couldn't care less.

"The bottom line is winning," Miller said. "It's no fun catching a lot of passes when you are losing a lot of games."

That attitude is why Miller was voted a team captain for the first time this season. The sixth-year pro has 38 receptions for 457 yards and one touchdown; he is on pace to have his lowest totals since 2006 in all three categories.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Miller, who missed two games in December with a concussion, remains a Pro Bowl-caliber tight end.

"(The Pro Bowl) is what numbers you put up," Arians said. "It has nothing to do with playing the position better than everybody else in the league."

Miller returned from his concussion to catch five passes for a season-high 73 yards against Carolina last week, but still, based solely on statistics, he is ranked somewhere between Daniel Fells of the Rams and Joel Dreessen of the Texans among tight ends this season.

"It's just the way it shakes out," Miller said. "Offensively, we've got enough guys that we can take what the defense gives us."

Actually, Miller prefers it when he's not catching a lot of passes. Last year, he had 76 receptions for 789 yards and six touchdowns as the 9-7 Steelers were playing catch-up. This year, they are running the ball with the 6-foot-5, 256-pound Miller blocking to protect leads.

"We're not throwing it like we were," Arians said. "But he's probably playing as good or better than he ever has."

Roethlisberger has long regarded the former first-round pick as the best all-around tight end in the league.

"I feel just as comfortable with him blocking as I do with any of my lineman," he said, "and just as comfortable with him catching as I do with any of my receivers."

Miller remains a reliable target. He has caught one touchdown in each of the Steelers' past three post-seasons.

He can take another step forward against the Browns on Sunday. In their first meeting with the Browns, Miller had his lone touchdown - a 14-yarder from Roethlisberger in the fourth quarter - and his longest reception of the season, a 36-yarder.

If Miller says he's not open Sunday, Roethlisberger will have to take his word for it.

"I'm never going to be a guy who comes back to the huddle and says I was open, when I had two guys on me or I wasn't open," Miller said. "I try to be honest with (Ben), and I think he will trust me and appreciate that."

John Grupp can be reached at jgrupp@tribweb.com or 412-320-7930.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Team-first Miller doesn't sweat personal statistics

Heath's stats were killed by the loss of Willie Colon. Notice on many if not most passing downs Heath is kept in the back field for additional blocking. I don't think there's another legitimate tight end in the league who can block linebackers and DE's like Heath does.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,186 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
"(The Pro Bowl) is what numbers you put up," Arians said. "It has nothing to do with playing the position better than everybody else in the league."
Smartest thing he's ever said
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
mizzouristeeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17519

Heaths the best all around blocking/receiving togt end iin the league imo.
mizzouristeeler is offline   Reply With Quote