Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Mike Wallace Envy

Just read on Ravens forum someone complaining about Boldin's play this year and how their offense still struggles. They capped it off with "why can't we find the Mike Wallace-es" for our team.

I pinch myself every Sunday to say that we are not dreaming and we have Mike Wallace on the team. When I was growing up and following the Steelers, "speed" on the offensive side was a rarity. We had bruising RBs like Harris, Thorton, foster and Bettis. We had serviceable receivers but never a burner like Wallace. I am thrilled that such a speedster is a Steeler.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Mike Wallace Envy

i was thinking about it during today's game.....and i think the most exciting thing i watched develop this year was our young 3-receiver corp develop into what looks to be something awesome.
Wallace himself is just pure All-Pro
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Wallace had to change his shoes after that TD... the original pair melted from the heat generated by the speed.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,324 Times in 515 Posts

Sanders is coming up big as well and how about Brown today, made some good plays. I have high hopes for this receiving corp.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
jizzballz
Banned

Member Number: 17482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
Wallace had to change his shoes after that TD... the original pair melted from the heat generated by the speed.
jizzballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

What some of you termed as a weakness when we got rid of Santo has now turned into an offensive strength. Wallace is phenomenol and Sanders and brown are going to be stars in theier own right as well.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I can't wait to see what Mike and the rookies can do come playoff time when the gloves are off. Will Wallace be like Santonio and just elevate his game to a whole new level when the season is on the line? If you recall he missed out on that opportunity during his rookie year...
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,956 Times in 886 Posts

What I said in a post several days ago:

Clutch ? New Role For Wallace: Short Pass, Long Run
He's the fastest man in the NFL. Defender's are playing off 10-15 yds most of the time. He's trying to get out of that "one-trick pony " persona.
The Steelers had a couple of games of note this year (Saints and Jets) in which they were on a final drive to try to come back and win games in which the final result was, well - - fail. We know, as veteran Steelers fans, that in the recent past (actually, when Holmes was here) we would have 'more than likely' came back and won those games on that final drive... as we had gotten use to doing it... we had gotten good at it.
I don't know what the play calling was on those drives, but I'm willing to bet that Wallace was sent deep (and right into a forest of defenders) more often than not.
Now, like Holmes had, and as of lately, Wallace is developing another "killing machine" in his arsenal of threats... the "run after the catch". An ability he showed to the max with both the Raiders and Panthers.
If the Arians (and this may be wishful thinking) can design or incorporate more plays to get Wallace short passes AND allow him at least 5-10 yds were he can build up speed, I say he will take it to the house more often than not ! ITS LIKE THE DEFENSE IS STANDING STILL NEXT TO HIM !!! And, at the very least, results in a big play ! ... VERY useful in those clutch, last drive situations in which the team seems to find itself in all too frequently from the habit of "playing down" to our opponents.
So the theme of this post: DEVELOP the art of the short pass to Mike Wallace... the profits SHOULD be enormous !!!
------------------------------
Looks like Arians is catching on...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
SacknificentStew56
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16658

Mike Haul-A$$ needs to continue doing what he does best which is beating the defense with his speed. I really could care less about him trying to become an all-around receiver who not only can beat you deep but can run other routes just as good. I was a little pissed when Santonio got released but Haul-A$$ hasn't been a disappointment yet.
SacknificentStew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

I loved Holmes as a Steeler but two years in, I think Wallace is a better player.

Like how Sanders has played this year too. We have some nice receivers for the future.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote