Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-17-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Q & A with Merril Hoge.....

By: Jim Wexell
Steel City Insider
Date: Apr 17, 2006

Merril Hoge?s rise to the top of the NFL analysis world includes his breakdowns at draft time. In an interview Hoge granted for the upcoming book ?Men of Steel,? he passed along a few outrageous opinions on this year?s draft.

Q: What do you like about your job?

A: I just like studying tape so much, and watching tape, that it would be hard for me to do another job if I didn?t have that access. I could see moving on as long as I have that access and all my comments came from that. I just sat in a draft meeting and listened to all these people talk about evaluating, say, the Rose Bowl game, or watching a kid play somewhere, watching these highlight packages. You can?t evaluate anybody like that, good or bad. People that truly know about college players don?t know what it?s like to play in the NFL, and the differences in the NFL, kind of how you?d have to evaluate a college kid and project him to the NFL, which is a whole different task, which we have been fortunate enough ? Jaws and I ? the luxury of having the ability over the years of studying and evaluating that we very seldom make mistakes on talent. Two examples last year were Mike Williams in Detroit and Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. I mean, for anybody to say Mike Williams would be a great player in the NFL has no clue what it?s like to play in the NFL or what?s required in the NFL. From a receiving perspective, he really doesn?t have any of those skills. He lumbers, has no speed, no quickness. Because he made a bunch of spectacular catches at USC and played at USC, everybody anoints him as headed for the Hall of Fame as a great wide receiver. He?s got no speed, no quickness, doesn?t run routes very well, is lazy, and is now overweight. I mean, I can?t think of any more negatives. And the one thing when you studied him on tape, you got to realize that everything he caught in college was contested. Everything. And so now you?ve got to almost triple that in the NFL because they?re going to contest him with greater athletes. We?ve seen the proof. Their two top receivers got hurt ? and they really only have one that?s a bona fide NFL player, Roy Williams ? and they went out and got people off the practice squad and street to start for him. They didn?t even start him. You were like, ?Oh, my gosh.?

Q: There was a rumor that the Pittsburgh Steelers were trying to trade for him.

A: The Steelers, I can assure you this, that coaching staff and that front office are not that stupid. They?re not going to take a Matt Millen reject after a year. And listen: The writing should be on the wall if you?re trying to get rid of a guy you drafted in the first round the next year. That should tell you everything. The cat can?t play at this level. Period.

Q: Did you say that last year?

A: Yes. In the draft. In fact Mel Kiper and I went at it. It was probably the greatest draft moment in our draft history. Mel Kiper had him as the best athlete on his board, and I?m like, you have no clue. This guy isn?t even the best wide receiver and you have him as your best athlete. If he?s No. 1, the kid had better be special, and the kid ain?t special. He?s not even close to being special. In fact we went at it and he said, ?I?m going to tell you this: Nobody will ever hire you as a scout.? So Mel Kiper, I would like to know, how many people do you think are going to hire him now.

Q: You don?t want to be a scout, do you?

A: No, that?s not my objective, but I do take it seriously. I don?t look at highlight tapes and look at a game and anoint somebody good or bad. All of these players I?ve watched three and sometimes eight game tapes on them.

Q: Who?s being overrated right now?

A: Vince Young and Matt Leinart. You take Matt Leinart and give him similar winning success at Alabama State or something, he?s a third- or fourth-round pick, maybe later. Vince Young, if he wasn?t playing at Texas, sheesh. Let me put it this way: A lot of teams I?ve talked to, and I watched him on a lot of tape prior to the Rose Bowl, so I was the first one to say you guys are taking in one game. Vince Young didn?t do anything in that game throwing the football that you?d be in awe over. He made some runs where four guys, legitimately, four guys were standing at the bus stop waiting for a yellow bus to pick them up a year ago. That tells you what kind of defense USC had.

Q: The Steelers are looking at Darnell Bing. Didn?t he bounce off Young a few times?

A: I haven?t studied him enough on tape. That kid didn?t have much around him, I can tell you that right now. They had freshmen linebackers. The defensive line stinks, other than the one tackle. But overall they were a pathetic defense. But Vince Young?s strong. He?s an amazing athlete, but there?s not one person I talked to, that I highly respect as a quarterback evaluator with a job in this league, who said they?d take him in the first round. I wouldn?t touch him with any round as a quarterback, but I?d draft him as an athlete. But he?s got to play wide receiver for me. He?s got to do things for me. If he wants to stick to quarterback there?s no way I?d touch him and here?s why: People get fired for these decisions. I give you one name: Bobby Beathard. Bobby Beathard was one of the most highly coveted GMs for a long time in the NFL. Well he picked Ryan Leaf and what do you think people think of Bobby Beathard now? They think of Ryan Leaf when you say Bobby Beathard. That?s what happens. When you make mistake on any other player, you lose games. When you make a bad decision on a quarterback, you lose your job. Fans don?t realize that. Like in Houston, if I was the owner there and they drafted Vince Young, I would fire everybody right then and there. I?ve been doing the draft five years now and I haven?t seen a more dynamic, explosive, special player than Reggie Bush. I?ve tried to compare him, and LaDainian Tomlinson comes to mind, but Reggie Bush at the end of the day is a better athlete, has better body control and runs better than LaDainian Tomlinson. If you?re Houston you feel lucky to get that kid.

Q: Are you thinking about going into personnel?

A: Matt Millen screwed it up for players like me of ever doing that. But I do believe I have worked hard in understanding what it takes to play at this level, and having played at it too it does give me a special advantage. I?ve walked the line. I know what it?s like. I?ve really studied every position and talked to everybody who?s an expert and have learned from everybody who?s played the position to study all positions and have a fair evaluation. I just think that the draft, if you really do your homework, have good people in place, you?re not going to make many mistakes. If a guy gets hurt, that?s uncontrollable. Even with character, if you really do your job you?re going to know what kind of guy this is, what kind of risks you?re taking. If you do your job it?s not that difficult, but to do your job you have to know how to do it. You?ve got to know what to look for. A college guy who looks great on tape can?t fool you because now you have to evaluate who he?s playing against and how is he being successful. All of that is part of watching tape for over 20 years and really taking it seriously. That?s why I look at Matt Leinart, and Matt Leinart is just a younger Chad Pennington. His arm strength?s not very good; he?ll have problems throwing the deep balls in the NFL and things to the wide side of the field. He?s not very accurate. In fact, he?s not very accurate at all. The ball is always behind the wide receiver or they have to wait on it. And anything over 30 yards there?s a 70-30 shot it won?t be close to that wide receiver.

Q: Do you respect what Kevin Colbert?s been doing?

A: Very much so. He?s done a couple things: He?s made excellent picks and he?s been patient. They could?ve panicked on Troy Polamalu. To see where Troy Polamalu is today from where he was his first year is amazing. He?s the first player I ever saw on tape, his rookie year, to literally stand there when the ball got snapped because he didn?t know what was going on. It was against the Kansas City Chiefs. I?ll never forget it. He went out on motion and I remember Joey Porter hit him on the side of the head, telling him to go back because he was doing the wrong thing, and they snapped the ball and he was just lost. It speaks to two things: The complexity of this league, one, and it?s a much harder transition from safety to the NFL than it is from corner to the NFL, because they are the guys who play around the box so they?ve got to understand motions and shifts. You could see, it was ?Troy go there.? They didn?t have real complexity to their defense, but they didn?t face anything that was complex either. You may see a motion here and there in college. In the NFL they?re shifting and motioning all the time. But Kevin is a great evaluator and he?s patient. He trusts his eyes; he trusts the people around him; he trusts the tape. If you listen to fans, you?d make mistake after mistake. But if you?ve done your job, and you know what you?re doing, you?ve earned the right to trust.

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Default Re: Q & A with Merril Hoge.....

Very good read.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467

Thanks Deisel! I love how Hoge bashes Kiper and Millen on several occasions, in the interview.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Koopa's head is going to explode when he reads this...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737

good interview.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

lmoa anyone who blasts Mel Kiper is awesome in my book. ESPN is so ditching his ass to a slow death. The guy seems to always be wrong. I am happy that Hodge called his ass out on Rodgers. too funny. I like Hodge and like watching him and Jaws .. is great because ESPN has somoene who is such a Steeler homer it drives my buddies (Chicago Bears fans) crazy .. Good work Merril.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
slashsteel

Member Number:

You see who Kiper picks then you pick the opposite. The guy is a idiot.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Great takes

He is painfully dead center on the bullseye. The Rose Bowl was an absolute USC defensive meltdown - sickening. But that being said I'd like to see any AFC team draft Young.

Hoge stopped well short of making any suggestions for the Steelers.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I see that Hoge has said that none of the QB's in this years draft are worth a 1st round pick - thats pretty controversial stuff.

He thinks that Kellen Clemens is going to be a better NFL QB than Leinart, who he thinks is a poor mans Chad Pennington.

Its refreshing to hear someone go against the grain of popular opinion - and i'll be doubly impressed if he doesnt predict the very opposite to these scenarios in the coming weeks - alot of NFL 'guru's do that - taking both sides of an argument so either way they are right.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:24 PM   #10
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

Hoge picked the Eagles to miss the playoffs in 2005/06. Boy did Eagle fans rip him. Funny thing is that Hoge was right on the money.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote