Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
NEWstevo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15010
Default Ravens still favorites? WTF?

I read on a few websites how the Ravens are the class of the AFC North. HUH? It’s always Ed Reed this… Ray Lewis that… Flacco this… Harbaugh that. Yeah, they had huge win over a terrible team…… 13-7.

Did anyone actually WATCH their game? The Bengals almost won it twice in the last few minutes, without their two best receivers. And Reeds picks were much more luck than skill. He is “smart” to sit back behind the receivers and wait for a tipped ball, then scoop it up for an easy interception. At least Troy’s lucky pick required a little effort of changing momentum and diving for it.

But enough of that………………….

The Steelers faced a better team and destroyed them before half time. They have the best defense in the NFL, won the AFC North, and already made it to the Divisional round of the playoffs.

But the Ravens are better?

Am I missing something?
NEWstevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Ravens still favorites? WTF?

yeah, its frustrating....
I watched Sportscenter, NFL channel, Mike and Mike, flipping back and forth, and i heard barely even a mention of the Steelers. It was all Pats, Jets, Packers, Bears, Ravens, Saints, and for gods sakes, even the Colts over and over and over again.
Its mindboggling that Pittsburgh was BARELY even mentioned, let alone discussed, when its clear they're one of the best teams in the NFL, , have won 2 SuperBowls in the last 5 years and could be on their way to another one, likely the most popular NFL team with the most nationwide fans, and many grade A players that they could talk all day about including Ben, Troy, Harrison, etc....
I don't understand it. I'm hoping the Steelers knock some of these teams out and make it to the big bowl....they can't ignore them at that point.....but very, very frustrating
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,672 Times in 2,623 Posts

New England's smackdown of the Steelers at Heinz is what is keeping perceptions down

Even though the Steelers would be favored at home against Indy or Baltimore, only the Colts or Ravens are being given a shot to beat the Patriots - that is because both teams played close games at Foxboro while the Pats own the Steelers
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
New England's smackdown of the Steelers at Heinz is what is keeping perceptions down

Even though the Steelers would be favored at home against Indy or Baltimore, only the Colts or Ravens are being given a shot to beat Indy - that is because both teams played close games at Foxboro while the Pats own the Steelers
That is true (although the Pats didn't "own" the Steelers in '08 just 2 years ago when we destroyed them..).
I think our media downfall is that we had 3 BIG games....NE, New Orleans, and the Jets...all on evening prime time TV...and we lost all 3 of them..........That said...we still should be getting more media coverage than we are
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

I'm glad they're considered one of the favorites because our worst mistake would be to underestimate them.

To their credit, they performed better against strong teams than we did. They beat the Jets, New Orleans and Atlanta and lost to the Patriots by only 3pts. They are 3-1 against these guys, we're 1-3.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,672 Times in 2,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
That is true (although the Pats didn't "own" the Steelers in '08 just 2 years ago when we destroyed them..).
I think our media downfall is that we had 3 BIG games....NE, New Orleans, and the Jets...all on evening prime time TV...and we lost all 3 of them..........That said...we still should be getting more media coverage than we are
Patriots were missing a certain QB in 2008 and that game blew apart when Harrison abused Cassell in the second half - Brady ia an entirely different matter

I agree a further reason for low expectations is that the Steelers have fallen apart in all of their showcase games other than in Baltimore (Atlanta was a big win but that was a 1 pm game not seen by much of the country)

Only 2 quality wins (Atlanta and Baltimore) and 4 losses to playoff teams (Pats, Jets, Ravens, Saints) is a concern but I will be very surprised if the Steelers are not playing on January 23
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

I'll pile on I guess...on NBC last night, that prick Costas had the stupidest poem about the Colts overcoming all this crap to make the playoffs again and he said something like "all do respect to the Steelers, but the Colts blah, blah, blah" and then hinted at the Colts-Patriots being the two best teams. As far as the Ravens, it is some kind of weird love affair with them that I don't understand. It has nothing to do with the Steelers. But I can bet the main reason the media is not talking about us is because they all mostly wrote us off when Ben was suspended 4 games, and all the negative attention for fines and hard hits. Hard to believe a team can go 12-4, win the division and 2nd seed, and still fly under the radar. I think they don't want to admit how good Ben is playing because of the GA thing. They want their dream match up between Pats-Colts, or the darling Ravens. The only thing they didn't get this year was the Chargers...they love Rivers too. Screw 'em all...I really can't wait to see what LeBeau has waiting for these teams.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Seems the pieces are coming together for us at the right time,im glad we are flying under the radar,the team seems to feed off that playing the no-respect card.MOOCH actually said on NFL network that of the AFC teams left,the Steelers have the best shot knocking off the pats,a few defense adjustments and an offense with the firepower to score some points!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
GameTime55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Even though the Steelers would be favored at home against Indy or Baltimore, only the Colts or Ravens are being given a shot to beat the Patriots - that is because both teams played close games at Foxboro while the Pats own the Steelers

Id have to agree with this.

I Fu%%ng HATE THE PATRIOTS.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
GameTime55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15914

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
Seems the pieces are coming together for us at the right time,im glad we are flying under the radar,the team seems to feed off that playing the no-respect card.MOOCH actually said on NFL network that of the AFC teams left,the Steelers have the best shot knocking off the pats,a few defense adjustments and an offense with the firepower to score some points!

GIVE it up for Mooch. Simply put Keep that pretty boy Brady off the lousy field, no ST oop's and we got a ball game.

ps: I think we can do it and I am simply speaking from a historical perspective. Troy Brown and Pretty boy.