Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default A clarification on Steelers' 2011 opponents

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

A clarification on Steelers' 2011 opponents
January 3rd, 2011

Folks, I have already gotten a couple of emails regarding the Steelers’ home and away opponents in 2011, which was released by the NFL Monday afternoon.

The Steelers play every team in the NFC West next season, per the league’s scheduling rotation, and at first glance it does appear an error was made in the location of two games.

The Steelers are scheduled to play at Arizona and San Francisco while hosting St. Louis and Seattle. (Oh Excellent, I will be able to join the legion of Steelers fans here and see the game. We should be able to take over the birdcage in Glendale. I hope some of you in SoCal can come on over. - mesa)

Since the Steelers played at Arizona and St. Louis in 2007 while hosting Seattle and San Francisco, it would stand to reason that they would visit the Seahawks in 2011 and host the Cardinals, not the other way around.

However, the league made a change in its scheduling procedure in 2010 that fixes what it had deemed a competitive imbalance.

The NFL didn’t want teams whose divisions draw the AFC West or NFC West for a given season playing two games on the West Coast -– something that happened with the Steelers in 2006 when they played at San Diego and Oakland -- while others in their division didn’t play any on the West Coast.

That is why the Steelers aren’t playing both the 49ers and Seahawks on the road next season. For anyone who missed it here are the Steelers’ home and away opponents for next season.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
realdeal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10935
Default Re: A clarification on Steelers' 2011 opponents

Hey Mesa,

My buddy and I are trying to decide between traveling to San Francisco or to Arizona. We both are from So. California.

University of Phoenix stadium is state of the art compared to that dump in San Francisco.
But isn't the Stadium way out in the desert with nothing around? Where would we stay? Bars nearby? How far to the stadium? San Francisco is an awesome city with lots to do.

Thanks,

Carlos
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
BURNSY
Water Boy

Member Number: 16175

I will obviously be there. Great thing is, my Dad is a diehard Cardinals fan and that made the Superbowl so much more sweet. I am sure that he will go as well !!!
BURNSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

It depends on which will be cheaper for me (I'm a broke ass student.) I'm already saving now, and I've never been to a Steelers game, SF, or Arizona.
saveus1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Quasar
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7371

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
Hey Mesa,

My buddy and I are trying to decide between traveling to San Francisco or to Arizona. We both are from So. California.

University of Phoenix stadium is state of the art compared to that dump in San Francisco.
But isn't the Stadium way out in the desert with nothing around? Where would we stay? Bars nearby? How far to the stadium? San Francisco is an awesome city with lots to do.

Thanks,

Carlos
Carlos,
I too live in So Cal. I went to the 2007 Cardinals-Steelers game in Glendale. No, it's not way in the middle of nowhere, but on the edge of the Phoenix metro area. There are plenty of places to stay, and dine.

I was thinking of getting to the 49ers game in the 2011 season. Do I dare dream I can do both?
Quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal View Post
Hey Mesa,

Thanks,

Carlos
Well the stadium is not in the middle of nowhere and there are even hotels within walking distance of it though I do not know what they cost. Here is a link to the entertainment around the stadium.
http://gosw.about.com/od/bestsightstosee/p/westgate.htm

If the hotels around the stadium are to expensive then I'm sure you will be able find something cheaper with in a few miles or so and I guarantee it will cheaper then San Francisco.

The real question of which city to go to will depend on when the game is. If the game is in September it could easily be 105 or higher here. Now 105 degrees wouldn't bother me because I live here but out of towners tend to wilt. It is usually a "dry" heat and it's not uncomfortable unless you are standing outside for long periods of time during heat of the day. Nights are wonderful with tee shirt, shorts, and sandals, being the standard attire. Remember everything in Phoenix is air conditioned including Cardinals stadium so it's not hard to live in. If the game is in November/December then it's a no brainer, come here, the weather will be beautiful.

As far as things to do, well Phoenix metro is the 5th largest city in the county. There are a lot of things to do here. One of the largest Steeler bars outside of PA is here. It's Harold's Coral in Cave Creek. The yinzers there are so passionate there that the place actually sells seat licenses to long time patrons so they can watch the Steeler games from their favorite seat. See link. http://haroldscorral.com/steelers/

Moving around the city outside of rush hour is not difficult since Phoenix has state of the art freeways some of which I have helped build.

As far as dining you can have anything from street corner taco vendors to five star restaurants. Any variety of ethnic food you name is here as well.

Arizona is a beautiful state with more national parks and monuments in it than any other if that is to your taste.

I don't know where in SoCal you are coming from but either by Interstate 8 or by Interstate 10 it's a easy drive of around 61/2 hours or so.

Here is a link for the AZ Republic's things to do.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/

If you decide to come and need more info let me know and I will see what I can do.

Also if the game is in the early fall and you do drive then watch out for the dust storms which are no joke. We can get late season monsoon thunderstorms which can cause all kinds of excitement. see link
http://www.azdot.gov/ccpartnerships/haboob/about.asp
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

I might thow a big party for any fans who want to came to SF the night before......
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
realdeal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10935

Thanks for the Great Info Mesa!! Sounds like Arizona over San Francisco for us!! Cant wait!!
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote