Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: What does Aaron Smith bring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutchy View Post
He takes on two blockers if the guard and tackle have to block him if he takes that gap. Which he would, if the OLB is blitzing. But he can be handled easily with a tackle, or even a TE can block him.
Smith is like 6-6 and 300 lbs. Big enough to get in the way in the hole. If smith could get pressure, you wouldn't need an OLB to blitz from that side.
He doesn't shed blockers well, and he doesn't make plays.
He's white, and thats cool. But I'd take Hoke or Kiesel anyday, over smith. no contest.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...-season#page/1

lets see, shall we listen to this writer or a a guy named woosie or is it wutchy.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

or little wutchy maybe this writer knows a thing or two. seeing as how he picked the Steelers to have the best D in the league and lo and behold he was correct. I believe that gives him some credibility

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...s-best-defense
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
It is not Ziggy's show yet. A lot of the passing attack that was unleashed against us was due to Smith being out. The LBs had to either drop in coverage (not their strength) or they couldn't get to the QB in time without Smith clogging things up. Then the corners had to play 10-15 yards off the line because the rush from the LBs was not getting to the QB. That caused all of those short 7-8 yard passes that moved teams right down the field. It appears that Ziggy has gotten better toward the end of the season but he is nowhere near Smith's level when he is full strength. The question is will he be at full strength or be a liability?
Well I guess we packed it in when Joe Greene retired too.......Hmmm.....seems like were doing fine without the ole #1 all-time Steeler......With all due respect to Mr. Greene.....
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #24
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

When Aaron Smith is healthy,,he is the BEST 3-4 DE to ever play in this league. He is a Monster on the pass rush, and run stopping. I just don't know IF he will really be healthy come game time. I hope he is. Cause ANY TEAM would kill to have Aaron Smith.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #25
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,323 Times in 3,491 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i hope he's near 100% because ziggy's been playing well.

if not, the question is what's better, 70% smith or 100% ziggy? I'm sure both at full power smith is the better player, but that's not the case, let's not forget aaron is coming off an injury that would have sidelined the average player for the season.

if he's not at full strength well, he'll be good for rotation, that's always a good thing.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #26
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutchy View Post
Aaron Smith is a b-u-m. Always hurt, doesn't make plays. He occupies an o-lineman or two. I've keyed my view on him while game watching. no-thing special.
His function is to stop the run as an end in a 3-4 base. He has two gap assignments. If he misses, you never hear about it. But you seldom hear his name called at all. He isn't under rated, he is just under mentioned, because you have to actually do something to have your name called. He is by no means a playmaker.
You are not gonna win this battle. According to this board he keeps getting better and better at 35. His play is like no other. When he went down our Defense could no longer function. We are doomed!

In Reality 12 -4 Playoff Bye..... NFL RECORD 64.1 yards a game rushing against us.....48 Sacks number 1 in the NFL
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #27
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Smith isn't the anchor of this defense, Lebeau's schemes just revolve around him, but I think he understands Smith wont be around forever and is working with the defense.

Smith is really tall, he gets into the passing lanes. What people dont' understand is when a 6-5 300 pound made is in front of you, even if a 6-2 offensivel linemen is holding him back, it disrupts what you see, plus throwing that way, good chance that 6-5 monster gets a hand up and knocks the ball down.
In the running game, his arms are so big, when a running back gets near him, even when he's blocked, he just reaches out and grabs him. Not many guys can do that, he's special, but it isnt' the end of the world if he isn't in the game. Woodley is a good run stuffer himself on that side, so him and Ziggy will do fine in the future.

Keisel is a probowl candidate this year... Has anyone though about his impact on the game? He didn't play against the Saints or the Patriots.. Maybe he's more important than Smith, especially since he does stunts with Harrison
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #28
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

The REAL Anchor of this defense is Casey Hampton. He allows the LB's to do what they do. Without him, olur defensive numbers really drop off. But Aaron applies pressure on the QB, even if he doesn't always get a sack. It's pressure that broke the pipe,,,not sacks.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #29
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,945 Times in 4,533 Posts

he looks like Lurch.

he scares people.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #30
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,323 Times in 3,491 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
he looks like Lurch.

he scares people.
heheh i always heard of people referring to him as frankenstein smith. he does look weird, like his shoulder pads are 5 sizes too small
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote