Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers seek sanctions against Turtle Creek shop

Steelers seek sanctions against Turtle Creek shop
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_716604.html#
By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Pittsburgh Steelers today asked a federal judge to fine Turtle Creek Sportswear $500 a day for every day the shop has ignored or continues to ignore a 2005 court order to stop selling items similar to official Steelers merchandise.

The Steelers and NFL Properties sued the business and its owners, Nicholas and Jennifer Wohlfarth, in 2005 for trademark infringement. In November, the Steelers learned the business was violating the order for at least the third time since 2005, the lawsuit says.

The Steelers also asked the judge to order the company to turn over any money from the sale of merchandise infringing on the teamís trademarks. Dravosburg lawyer W.J. Helzlsouer, who represents Turtle Creek Sportswear, said he hadnít seen the request and declined comment.

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review can be reached at or .
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
chrism412
Water Boy

Member Number: 17615
Default Re: Steelers seek sanctions against Turtle Creek shop

Just another example of the steelers trying to run over the little guys. I mean really how much more of our money do they need?!?! I can't afford to buy their $75 sweatshirts after doing my part in building heinz field. Its a shame that our beloved team is run by money-hungry jagoffs.
chrism412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism412 View Post
Just another example of the steelers trying to run over the little guys. I mean really how much more of our money do they need?!?! I can't afford to buy their $75 sweatshirts after doing my part in building heinz field. Its a shame that our beloved team is run by money-hungry jagoffs.
Sorry I can't dig your blue collar vs. white collar little guy rant. This is captialism and I am for letting the markets decide. If the Steelers can get $75 for a sweatshirt then so be it.

This business must be selling merchandise they are not legally allowed to sell. The Steelers have every right to protect their logo from unauthorised use. This business can choose to sell licensed merchandise and make a nice profit doing so but are electing to sell knock offs probably at a higher margin. Makes me wonder who the "money hungry jagoffs" really are.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
chrism412
Water Boy

Member Number: 17615

Unfortunately I could not disagree with you more. First of all, if I understand correctly, this company produces nothing with a steeler logo. The items in question reportedly are sweatshirts with "luv ya black 'n gold" and "steel curtain" printed on them.

I agree that the Steelers/NFL should fight illegal distribution of knock-off jerseys and the like, but to attack a small local business over something like this is absurd. Maybe the steelers' team of high-powered attorneys don't have much to do right now. This really seems like small potatoes to me. What's next? Let's shutter all the t-shirt shops in the strip district? That will be great for the local economy.

Also, the pittsburgh steelers decide which companies can produce and sell licensed products. And those companies (at least production) are all overseas. Perhaps the steelers can help cause a small pittsburgh-based company to lay off a few employees and send more of our jobs to Thailand.

I feel that the steelers have some sort of an obligation to the local community. What they should do: I don't really know, but this, to me, is a great example of what they should NOT do.
chrism412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
TROLL ALERT
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Unfortunately I could not disagree with you more. First of all, if I understand correctly, this company produces nothing with a steeler logo. The items in question reportedly are sweatshirts with "luv ya black 'n gold" and "steel curtain" printed on them.

I agree that the Steelers/NFL should fight illegal distribution of knock-off jerseys and the like, but to attack a small local business over something like this is absurd. Maybe the steelers' team of high-powered attorneys don't have much to do right now. This really seems like small potatoes to me. What's next? Let's shutter all the t-shirt shops in the strip district? That will be great for the local economy.

Also, the pittsburgh steelers decide which companies can produce and sell licensed products. And those companies (at least production) are all overseas. Perhaps the steelers can help cause a small pittsburgh-based company to lay off a few employees and send more of our jobs to Thailand.

I feel that the steelers have some sort of an obligation to the local community. What they should do: I don't really know, but this, to me, is a great example of what they should NOT do.
Steel Curtain I do believe is trademarked by the Steelers!!! And Adidas at the moment is who makes the NFL liscenced jerseys for the Steelers.
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
WisconsinSteelerMan
Bench Warmer

Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin (but still a Pittsburgher at heart!!!)
Member Number: 1388

Chrism,

Just because this shop is a "little guy" doesn't give them the right to march right up to the edge of legality or cross over it in order to make a buck. They are fully and flat out trying to sell "Steelers" merchandise without the logo so they don't have to pay the big bucks in fees to do so.

I would love to have a business that I could "coattail" on the good name of someone and make bajillions of dollars, but that would be stealing, and I don't steal stuff!!
WisconsinSteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
Sorry I can't dig your blue collar vs. white collar little guy rant. This is captialism and I am for letting the markets decide. If the Steelers can get $75 for a sweatshirt then so be it.

This business must be selling merchandise they are not legally allowed to sell. The Steelers have every right to protect their logo from unauthorised use. This business can choose to sell licensed merchandise and make a nice profit doing so but are electing to sell knock offs probably at a higher margin. Makes me wonder who the "money hungry jagoffs" really are.
My Penguins "replica" jersey cost me $60 from a chinese online business vs. $175 for an authentic one. I dare you to show me the difference between the 2. I checked the 2 very carefully before buying and the difference is not noticeable, neither visually nor technically.

Both are made in Asia, by the way, so so much for the higher margin % on the knock-offs. They make more money selling knock-offs because 3 jerseys out of 4 are "replicas", not because the % is higher.

To me, $175 for an authentic jersey that I wear at the games and wash after I wear it once is not worth it and I'm far from being the only one having this opinion. Most guys wearing Penguins jerseys at the Consol wear "replicas" and they all brag about the great deal they got online. I'd be very surprised if it's not the same at Heinz Field.

If the Penguins' FO cracks down on knock-off merchandise, guess what? 2/3 of the people wearing a Penguins jersey at Consol will wear something else. See the problem?

One day, I'll buy an authentic one but I won't wear it. I'll frame it and display it on a wall in my game room, next to other sports memorabilia. Big difference.

Now, if the "purists" can only wear the real thing, then by all means, go ahead. It doesn't bother me one bit.. Why should they be p*ssed at me for wearing a "replica"? Because they paid 3 times more for pretty much the same thing? Too bad! Next time, they'll do their homework.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
My Penguins "replica" jersey cost me $60 from a chinese online business vs. $175 for an authentic one. I dare you to show me the difference between the 2. I checked the 2 very carefully before buying and the difference is not noticeable, neither visually nor technically.

Both are made in Asia, by the way, so so much for the higher margin % on the knock-offs. They make more money selling knock-offs because 3 jerseys out of 4 are "replicas", not because the % is higher.

To me, $175 for an authentic jersey that I wear at the games and wash after I wear it once is not worth it and I'm far from being the only one having this opinion. Most guys wearing Penguins jerseys at the Consol wear "replicas" and they all brag about the great deal they got online. I'd be very surprised if it's not the same at Heinz Field.

If the Penguins' FO cracks down on knock-off merchandise, guess what? 2/3 of the people wearing a Penguins jersey at Consol will wear something else. See the problem?

One day, I'll buy an authentic one but I won't wear it. I'll frame it and display it on a wall in my game room, next to other sports memorabilia. Big difference.

Now, if the "purists" can only wear the real thing, then by all means, go ahead. It doesn't bother me one bit.. Why should they be p*ssed at me for wearing a "replica"? Because they paid 3 times more for pretty much the same thing? Too bad! Next time, they'll do their homework.
You better check your jerseys closer then-- all of the Chinese knockoffs are so cheap because they are defective.

One of my coworkers has a littel ring of people that buy these every preseason. And EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has defects-- I have a Polamalu jersey where the "Steelers" on the chest team logo is incomplete and only says Steele----.

Some of the other ones are obvious fakes as they have elastic sleeves. The materials used are cheaper, of less quality, often defective, stitching mistakes, and whats more-- they send American jobs overseas.

You get what you pay for.....
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
You better check your jerseys closer then-- all of the Chinese knockoffs are so cheap because they are defective.

One of my coworkers has a littel ring of people that buy these every preseason. And EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has defects-- I have a Polamalu jersey where the "Steelers" on the chest team logo is incomplete and only says Steele----.

Some of the other ones are obvious fakes as they have elastic sleeves. The materials used are cheaper, of less quality, often defective, stitching mistakes, and whats more-- they send American jobs overseas.

You get what you pay for.....
Absolutely correct!
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote