Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609
Default 2008 vs 2010...passing Yds allowed

Hey fans

Just wondering. In 2008, our SB Winning year, we also had a very good Run defense that was ranked 2nd, but that season, we allowed only 156.9 Yds a game through the air. This season, our defense is allowing over 214 Yds a game. And basically, don't we have the same secondary then as we do now ? I was wondering what you all thought was the difference now, and back in 2008 ? Is it our dime packages ?
Is it that maybe both Mcfadden and Ryan Clark are not as good now as opposed to two years ago ? What ?

And, does anyone think that almost 58 Yds a game more we are allowing this season as opposed to 2008 might be the difference between us not getting to the SB game this season ? What say you, thanks.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,175 Times in 3,487 Posts
Default Re: 2008 vs 2010...passing Yds allowed

just for arguments sake, lets say teams passed against us 50% of the time and ran against us 50% of the time in 2005.

i would say teams learned their lesson- they arent gonna run on us.

this year our defense has faced the fewest rushing attempts, while seeing the 4th most passing attempts. its a numbers game. if the teams refuse to run, they have to do something with those downs (its not like theyre just gonna take a knee).

yards come out of the passing game. its why you see so many 300+ yard passer but so few running backs have reached that mark.

to me, that dont make our defense any better or worse, but just as good. the sign of respect and refusal to run, might even suggest o-coords around the league view us as slightly better (in run defense anyways).
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpalinhater View Post
Hey fans

Just wondering. In 2008, our SB Winning year, we also had a very good Run defense that was ranked 2nd, but that season, we allowed only 156.9 Yds a game through the air. This season, our defense is allowing over 214 Yds a game. And basically, don't we have the same secondary then as we do now ? I was wondering what you all thought was the difference now, and back in 2008 ? Is it our dime packages ?
Is it that maybe both Mcfadden and Ryan Clark are not as good now as opposed to two years ago ? What ?

And, does anyone think that almost 58 Yds a game more we are allowing this season as opposed to 2008 might be the difference between us not getting to the SB game this season ? What say you, thanks.
We have basically the same Defense for the last 5 years....Age is a factor.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

In 2008 the Steelers had a better pass rush...

Steelers have been covering decently this year, but quarterbacks sit back there and have alot of time to find someone open
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
In 2008 the Steelers had a better pass rush...

Steelers have been covering decently this year, but quarterbacks sit back there and have alot of time to find someone open

Even though we did have 3 more sacks in 2008, Sats.inc shows we applied more pass pressure this season as opposed to 2008. Also, we are giving up a greater % of completions this season then we did in 2008, and in 2005 as well. So the point that teams are passing more against us is not the reason. We are having greater difficulty in covering the pass this season. And that might be the reason a team like the Pats, or maybe even a Indy could beat us.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Even though we did have 3 more sacks in 2008, Sats.inc shows we applied more pass pressure this season as opposed to 2008. Also, we are giving up a greater % of completions this season then we did in 2008, and in 2005 as well. So the point that teams are passing more against us is not the reason. We are having greater difficulty in covering the pass this season. And that might be the reason a team like the Pats, or maybe even a Indy could beat us.
I really thought the Steelers had a better pass rush in 2008 pressure wise, but stats are stats i guess.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,175 Times in 3,487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
....Age is a factor.
and that is a good thing (although i disagree with having the same defense).

troy and ike are both better with age and in their prime

von oelhoffen, porter, haggans, foote, hope, have been upgraded with keisel, (prime) harrison, (prime) woodley, timmons, clark (prime).

hampton and hoke are no worse than they were 5 years ago, although no longer in their prime. farrior is still a big time producer. smith is breaking down, but when he is on the field his production is just the same.

so by my calculations, we have upgraded in 7 positions, stayed the same in 2, and possibly seen mcfadden and smith drop off.

i'll take that trade any day and twice on sunday.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
I have the answer to this..... Just look at our opponents in 2008.

Pass Rankings in 2008 =

Browns = 31st
Bengals = 30th
Ravens = 28th

Thats 6 games against the NFL's worst passing teams. We also faced the Titans and Redskins. That's 8 games against 5 of the worst pass offenses in the league. Now add that to the fact that teams this season attempted to run less and pass more vs 2008. This season opponents attempted about 60 more pass plays then in 2008.

The other big reason is big plays.

This season we gave up 35 pass plays of 20+ yards AND 7 plays of 40+ yards.

In 2008 we gave up only 23 pass plays of 20+ yards AND only 2 plays of 40+ Yards.

So for what ever reason we are more prone to the big play now then we were in 2008. This could be fore various reasons....scheme? Troy's health? Better opponents?
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #9
lionslicer
Team President

I guess it comes down to teams passing more, the more you pass, the better chance you have of getting longer pass plays and more yards.
Saints didn't even atempt to run, I think they had like 10 total runs in the game. Teams know they can't run and just go pass. But they did hold the Saints to very little points despite how much they threw the ball.

But the main question is, is the team as good as it was in 2008 but teams are passing more? Or is the pass coverage really just average?.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
and that is a good thing (although i disagree with having the same defense).

troy and ike are both better with age and in their prime

von oelhoffen, porter, haggans, foote, hope, have been upgraded with keisel, (prime) harrison, (prime) woodley, timmons, clark (prime).

hampton and hoke are no worse than they were 5 years ago, although no longer in their prime. farrior is still a big time producer. smith is breaking down, but when he is on the field his production is just the same.

so by my calculations, we have upgraded in 7 positions, stayed the same in 2, and possibly seen mcfadden and smith drop off.

i'll take that trade any day and twice on sunday.
DE Smith, Keisel .... ... Keisel is better..Smith 5 years older no way..
DT Hampton...Hoke ....Hampton alone is not better (fat ) Hoke evens it out
Farrior ...... he was better 5 years ago
Foote .... ..Timmons upgrade
Haggens..Porter......Harrison a plus..... Woodley, Porter a wash
Polo...... upgrade
Clark... . he has slipped a lot
Townson.... Mcfad i'd take Townson not by much
Ike .... Upgrade

So out of 11 players since 06' only 4 changes and Mcf was there and playing so (3) I came out with 5 upgrades 4 downgrades and 2 evens. Troy, Harrison and Ikes upgrades are huge!