Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
steelers33
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17599
Default Re: 2008 vs 2010...passing Yds allowed

I think both defenses are close to the same. Both are special and both have records like 08 we didn't give a 300 yard game until like week 14, and this year we have had the top 3 run defense of all time. I think the top run defend is more impressive than the 300 yard game. And you can't really complain were not getting pressure, because we lead the league in sacks this year. I think Bmac has been not the greatest this year, but hr has come around as of late. But Ike Taylor has had one of his best seasons of rescent memory, even better than the 08 season. And Troy's health is always a factor to( I think he was relatively healthy all of 08.) But bottom line is, it is the same personnel and both defenses are special and are the same to me. There could be a multitude of factors for the higher pass attempts. I think we will start to wittness a drop off next year when guys are getting older( Harrison,Farrior,D-Line, Bmac,Clark)
steelers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 AM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,100 Times in 3,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
DE Smith, Keisel .... ... Keisel is better..Smith 5 years older no way..

keisel now is better than kemo then. did i not state that clearly? i already said smith has dropped off with injuries (nevermind we have hood, just in case)

DT Hampton...Hoke ....Hampton alone is not better (fat ) Hoke evens it out

i said hampton and hoke were no worse than they were 5 years ago. did i not type that clearly? can you please give a year-by-year accounting of caseys weight please? are any NT in the league not fat? would you prefer wes welker playing NT?

Farrior ...... he was better 5 years ago

he was a defensive MVP candidate back then. he led ILB's in sacks this year and was a top steeler tackler. his level of play hasnt dropped off much.

Foote .... ..Timmons upgrade

thats what i said.
Haggens..Porter......Harrison a plus..... Woodley, Porter a wash

harrison replaced porter, and woodley replaced haggans, so it is NOT a wash. it is an upgrade at both positions. check the statbooks of our OLB sack totals before you disagree.

Polo...... upgrade

as stated

Clark... . he has slipped a lot

care to elaborate? the rest of the fans, players, coaches, and steelers brass beg to differ.

Townson.... Mcfad i'd take Townson not by much

rookie mcfad had more impact plays in the 2005 playoffs, but townsend was a very servicable #2 then. i already said mcfad is the 2nd downgrade.

Ike .... Upgrade

already stated.

So out of 11 players since 06' only 4 changes and Mcf was there and playing so (3) I came out with 5 upgrades 4 downgrades and 2 evens. Troy, Harrison and Ikes upgrades are huge!
are you sure your math isnt off? only 4 changes?

or do you wish to amend your statement "in the last 5 years" to the last 4 years?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

I thought the article posted by Mesa (THANK YOU MESA) did a GREAT job of explaining our defense over the last few years ....

About That Steelers Pass DefenseÖ
Posted on January 4, 2011 by adam
Steelers Lounge

The Steelers secondary and pass defense has been a topic of discussion and concern for much of the regular season. In November, I took a look at the Steelers play against the pass and argued that it wanít as bad as its reputation (a lot of 15 yard gains on third and 20).

Now that all 16 regular season games are in the books, hereís how they finishedÖ

When all is said and done, the Steelers allowed the 12th most passing yards in the NFL (3,425), but did so while facing the fourth most pass attempts (593).

The other rankingsÖ

* Yards Per Pass Attempt: 6.1 (lowest in the NFL)
* Passing Touchdowns Allowed: 15 (third lowest in the NFL)
* Passing Plays 20+ Yards: 35 (lowest in NFL)
* Interceptions: 21 (fifth most in the NFL)
* Opponents Passer Rating: 73.1 (second lowest in the NFL)
* Sacks: 48 (most in the NFL)
* Football OutsidersDVOA Against The Pass: -13.0% (second lowest in NFL)

Thatís not bad at all, and the rankings are very similar to where they finished in 2008, when they were also first in yards per attempt, sixth in interceptions, third in touchdowns allowed, second in opponents passer rating, second in sacks, and first in DVOA against the pass.

We all saw what Tom Brady did to the Steelers back in November, and should the two teams happen to meet again (and Iím not looking ahead, the Steelers still have to win what will surely be a difficult game first; Iím not taking anything for granted), it very well could happen again. But I believe that has more to do with the way Brady and the Patriots are playing than how the Steelers are playing.

Brady is playing the best football of his career (yes, I think heís been better than their 16-0 season in 2007) and has had 12 games with a passer rating over 100. The game against the Steelers was only his seventh best performance of the season.

Other than that, when teams are forced to throw 45 passes a game because they canít run and are losing by 20 points in the fourth quarter, theyíre going to pick up some yardage. Doesnít mean itís effective.

The Steelers donít give up big plays, they donít give up touchdowns, they force turnovers, they get sacks. And Iím still left wondering how Ike Taylor didnít get more recognition for the job he did this season.

Which Steelers Were Targeted on Interceptions in 2010?
Posted on January 4, 2011 by JJ
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/0...interceptions/

One of our favorite (and most frequent) commenters, IsraelP, asked on Twitter yesterday if any passes intended for Mike Wallace have been intercepted. The answer is yes, two of them. Itís notable that only one of the nine picks involved the ball hitting the hands of the Steelersí receivers.

That got me to thinking, so I worked up the entire list of Steelers interceptions this year and the pass catcher originally targeted. Thankfully, with just nine interceptions all year, itís a pretty short list. The plays are linked in the table so you can see them for youself.
Week Opponent Details
1 Falcons Intended for Heath Miller, underthrown. Miller was wide open
3 Buccaneers Intended for Mike Wallace. Underthrown, but he was covered (safety on top, DB underneath)
3 Buccaneers Intended for Hines Ward, who is open, but Batch doesnít get ball over LB sitting in zone underneath
4 Ravens Intended for Hines Ward. Batch is forcing the ball, as Ward is covered and Lewis is lurking underneath to pick off pass
6 Browns Intended for Mewelde Moore. Terrible pass overthrown to DB
8 Saints Intended for Mike Wallace. Roethlisberger pressured, scrambles, throws late to Wallace on sideline, DB cuts in front of him
9 Bengals Intended for Heath Miller. Roethlisberger scrambling, gets nothing on it. DB cuts in front of Miller
10 Patriots Intended for Antwaan Randle-El. Throws behind him, but still hits Randle-El in hands, he drops it, Chung then catches it
13 Ravens Intended for Antonio Brown on long bomb. Overthrown, DB catches it over his shoulder, serves as a pseudo punt
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
just for arguments sake, lets say teams passed against us 50% of the time and ran against us 50% of the time in 2005.

i would say teams learned their lesson- they arent gonna run on us.

this year our defense has faced the fewest rushing attempts, while seeing the 4th most passing attempts. its a numbers game. if the teams refuse to run, they have to do something with those downs (its not like theyre just gonna take a knee).

yards come out of the passing game. its why you see so many 300+ yard passer but so few running backs have reached that mark.

to me, that dont make our defense any better or worse, but just as good. the sign of respect and refusal to run, might even suggest o-coords around the league view us as slightly better (in run defense anyways).
Tony's right about this. It's mostly about attempts. Teams aren't even wasting time trying to run the ball against us this year. Here the breakdown of each year by attempts.

390 run- 533 pass

333 run- 593 pass

teams are running on us less than 36% of the time this year. That coupled with the fact that we were completely healthy and a little younger in 2008 is probably the answer.

We're 12th in yardage this year against the pass, but when you factor in the number of attempts we're actually pretty good.
I think 3 more telling stats about are pass D are this.

We're 3rd in TD given up through the air -15 TD's
We're also 3rd in opposing QB rating - 73.1
We're1st in avg. passing yards per attempt- 6.3 yds.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I have the answer to this..... Just look at our opponents in 2008.

Pass Rankings in 2008 =

Browns = 31st
Bengals = 30th
Ravens = 28th

Thats 6 games against the NFL's worst passing teams. We also faced the Titans and Redskins. That's 8 games against 5 of the worst pass offenses in the league. Now add that to the fact that teams this season attempted to run less and pass more vs 2008. This season opponents attempted about 60 more pass plays then in 2008.

The other big reason is big plays.

This season we gave up 35 pass plays of 20+ yards AND 7 plays of 40+ yards.

In 2008 we gave up only 23 pass plays of 20+ yards AND only 2 plays of 40+ Yards.

So for what ever reason we are more prone to the big play now then we were in 2008. This could be fore various reasons....scheme? Troy's health? Better opponents?

That is a VERY GOOD point sir. I didn't think of that. I also did not take into account that several times this season, when we were destroying some teams,,,we late in the game allowed those teams to just accumulate late in the game passing yards against us, like the Tennessee game, as well as Tampa. But you make an excellant point.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote