Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,476 Times in 675 Posts
Default The Changes LeBeau Made After The NE Game

Good Read:

Article:

Dick LeBeau does not like to get embarrassed, especially on prime time television, but that is exactly what happened on November 14. Tom Brady and the New England Patriots shredded LeBeau's defense like Mexican cheese. LeBeau remembered all too vividly the previous time the Steelers played against Brady. The Patriots came out with a megaphone and yelled to him that they were not going to run the ball and were still going to carve him up like a Thanksgiving turkey. Even with that declaration of being one dimensional, Brady had a field day while the Patriots ran the ball exactly once per quarter.

LINK: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ship?ref=yahoo

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609
Default Re: The Changes LeBeau Made After The NE Game

The problem with that game was not solely on defense, but offense as well. Remember, we had a chance to cut this to a 10-7 game, but we again failed to score inside the 5 Yd line. Also, we had zero sacks on Brady, and no real pressure either. The Pats are no longer a BIG PLAY offense. Not with Moss gone. So to me, the key is putting the Pats on a long field to start their drives, and early on, come with MAJOR Blitzes at Brady. Not 5 or 6, but 7 or maybe even 8 rushers at him, and then play their WR's right at the line. I mean no more of this 10 yards off the WR sh!t! Rush 7 or 8 guys at Brady and he won't have the time to set-up for a deep route, or hit the quick-hitter either. Maybe he might get the pass off really fast to a RB or Welker for a slight 7-8 Yd gain. But, he's gonna do that anyways if we continue to only send 5 rushers at him, maybe 6 on occasion. We need to KNOCK Brady around a bit early on. That is when he gets eratic, and starts to look around at who might be coming at him next.

But, attack him the way we did the first game, and the results will likely be the same.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Blitz him, we win. Let him dink and dunk, we lose. Its actually that simple. There was ZERO pressure in the 1st game. Our O can actually score on them, as proven in the 1st game. Steeler Pressure=Steeler Win.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387

Steelers will have to play Dime and Quarters. Assign DB's on Welker and Woodhead. Or zones for these extra DB's. LINEBACKERS can't cover MOSQUITOS. The DB's have to play on the line and hit the Mosquitos as they come off to disrupt the timing. Timmons needs to cover Hernandez. Troy in Gronwoski, and Taylor on Branch. Rush Harrison 1st quarter, 4th Quarter. Woodley 2nd and 3rd. No more than 5 man rush on most occassions. Some corner blitzes with Gay. Blitzes are in effective because it lives the short field and flat open for the Dink and Dunk.

Lebeau will need to set zone traps. Hampton, Keisel and Smith (Hood) will need to drop back in short zones. Hampton up the middle, Keisel in the flats, Hood short middle. Troy has to be more visible. He needs to be free to move about the field.

Finally, the no matter what the defense does, the Steelers have to score more points that the Patriots. That's the prescription.
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,617 Posts

excellent research, breakdown and analysis. thanks for the link.

i really like the proof that the offense taking care of the ball better and controlling the clock greatly assisted lebeau implimenting these defensive adjustments.

derrrr... who'd a thunk?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i still don't understand why the defense was played that way that game...we looked sickly out there.

It's going to have to be a combo this time of both blitzing and stopping the short slant pass and the short out pass. Gonna be tricky but thats what we HAVE to do.
The flipside of that is that if we do play them....you can bet that Belichik knows the above and will spend the week preparing for just that
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I have been saying that if there is one thing that Dick Lebeau still wants to add to his resume (amazing right? one would think that after 50+ years int he NFL, he had seen and done everything possible), it will be the moniker for being one of the defensive coordinators that were able to decipher Brady and Belicheck's system.

I have also noticed that Tomlin is big on breaking "curses". He broke our Jaguars curse, our "can't beat Atlanta at home" curse (prior to week 1 this year, we have not won in Atlanata since like 1995), he broke our Raven's curse in 2007, and for two seasons (2007 & 2008), Tomlin even broke our "crappy pass defense" curse as well.

I have no doubt that if we see NE again, things will go differently. I cannot realistically say we should win, but the game will be different.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i still don't understand why the defense was played that way that game...we looked sickly out there.

It's going to have to be a combo this time of both blitzing and stopping the short slant pass and the short out pass. Gonna be tricky but thats what we HAVE to do.
The flipside of that is that if we do play them....you can bet that Belichik knows the above and will spend the week preparing for just that
I'm pretty sure it had something to do with all of the injuries. We were so banged up for a while we had to take it a little easy. If you look at the season we were aggressive on D for the first several weeks, then the injuries started to mount and we layed off a bit. Then we started getting people healthy and started being aggressive again.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I have been saying that if there is one thing that Dick Lebeau still wants to add to his resume (amazing right? one would think that after 50+ years int he NFL, he had seen and done everything possible), it will be the moniker for being one of the defensive coordinators that were able to decipher Brady and Belicheck's system.

I have also noticed that Tomlin is big on breaking "curses". He broke our Jaguars curse, our "can't beat Atlanta at home" curse (prior to week 1 this year, we have not won in Atlanata since like 1995), he broke our Raven's curse in 2007, and for two seasons (2007 & 2008), Tomlin even broke our "crappy pass defense" curse as well.

I have no doubt that if we see NE again, things will go differently. I cannot realistically say we should win, but the game will be different.
We beat Atlanta in Pittsburgh. But I know what you mean... Since he came here, he's worked with LeBeau and the pass defense since that is Tomlin's specialty. Also two 12-4 records? He has 3 even records and 1 odd, cowher had 10 odd seasons and 4 even seasons. lol. I don't know what that means, but its somethign I noticed
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Excellent article thank you for posting it.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote