Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527
Default Re: Big Ben top 5 in passer rating again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby jr View Post
One of the turning points of Flacco's career was when he led the Ravens to that dramatic game winning TD in Pittsburgh in October this year. That erased all doubt that he can beat the Steelers.
I'm sorry, I'm confused ... I thought Flacco threw the ball into the turf on his last passing attempt in the last game the Ratbirds and Steelers played. Did I miss something? Apparently the doubt wasn't really erased, now was it BOOBY?
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Joe has played in 5 playoff games and has completed less than 50% of his passes with 6 interceptions and 1 TD. 57 Completions / 120 Attempts (47.5%) for 660 yds.

Yeah, he really shows up when it counts.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

Quote:
For some reason Joe couldn't figure out Cincinnati this year, throw out those two games and he'd be one of the top.
And I'd like to be pimps from Oakland or cowboys from Arizona. But it's not Halloween. Grow up Peter Pan...Count Chocula.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
When I read my mutual fund prospectus, it says something about past performance does not guarantee future results. The victories Ben has over the Ravens were close and hard fought. One of them was highly controversal when the refs gave the Steelers a last minute TD on replay, when all the commentators said it was a mistake.
I can tell you're a Ravens fan. Can't have a football discussion with a Ravens fan without the officials being mentioned......

Anyway, that was a controversial call, I'll give you that. Some ppl thought it was in, others thought it wasn't. Either way, it wasn't by more than a millimeter. The call could have went either way.

I'm not sure what down it was, or how much time was left, but I suspect that the Steelers would have run another play from the 1-inch line and more than likely made it in.

Quote:
The Steelers do have a good defense, possibly better than the Ravens, but not by much. The Steelers showed they were vulnerable to passing attacks in the 2nd half of the Saints game and also against the Patriots. The Ravens defense gave up some big plays but they were never lit up and blown out like that. The Ravens have been in every game this year.
The Steelers aren't as vulnerable to the pass as you imply. They gave up some yards against 2 of the best quarterbacks in the league and against teams that refused to run the ball. Of course they'll give up passing yards.

The important thing to take away from the Saints game is that they still gave up only 20 points to the 6th ranked offense.

As for the Patriots, they've always been a match-up problem for the Steelers. Tom Brady just has their number.

Guess what: Tom Brady doesn't play for the Ravens!
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

[QUOTE=cloppbeast;888477]I can tell you're a Ravens fan. Can't have a football discussion with a Ravens fan without the officials being mentioned......

Anyway, that was a controversial call, I'll give you that. Some ppl thought it was in, others thought it wasn't. Either way, it wasn't by more than a millimeter. The call could have went either way.

I'm not sure what down it was, or how much time was left, but I suspect that the Steelers would have run another play from the 1-inch line and more than likely made it in.

QUOTE]

It would have been 4th and goal and the Steelers would have had to either go for the TD to win, or kick a FG to tie, as I recall. Instead the officials decided the game by awarding the Steelers a TD even though their was no visual proof of a TD.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
bobby jr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Rail View Post
Joe has played in 5 playoff games and has completed less than 50% of his passes with 6 interceptions and 1 TD. 57 Completions / 120 Attempts (47.5%) for 660 yds.

Yeah, he really shows up when it counts.
Sometimes you don't need to pass well, when your team is well out in front like the NE game last year. The important thing is the "W".

Joe couldn't be that bad in the playoffs because he took his team to the AFC Championship game with two playoff wins two years ago, then the Ravens soundly spanked New England on the road last year in the first round.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
It would have been 4th and goal and the Steelers would have had to either go for the TD to win, or kick a FG to tie, as I recall. Instead the officials decided the game by awarding the Steelers a TD even though their was no visual proof of a TD.
It was called a TD on the field, so they didn't 'give' the Steelers a TD. They just decided not to take one away.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:

And for that it must mean there was no visual proof to overturn the ruling!!! SHUT UP!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #19
bobby jr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
I'm sorry, I'm confused ... I thought Flacco threw the ball into the turf on his last passing attempt in the last game the Ratbirds and Steelers played. Did I miss something? Apparently the doubt wasn't really erased, now was it BOOBY?
Come on just because he won that Steelers game doesn't guarantee he will always beat them from that point on.

As I recall the pass Joe threw into the turf there was a Pittsburgh rusher which influenced that throw it wasn't like he just missed a wide open receiver with no rush in his face.

Ben had the chance beat the Jets on the 10 yard line but neither of his last two passes gave his receivers a chance. Nobody is perfect.

But Flacco proved he can beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh by taking his team for a game winning TD with no timeouts left and that was a big milestone.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
bobby jr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
It was called a TD on the field, so they didn't 'give' the Steelers a TD. They just decided not to take one away.
No it was called a stop on the field, on the 1/2 foot line. then they awarded the Steelers a TD after reviewing the replays. That was why all the commentators said it was a terrible call, they said there was no proof one way or the other, and the call on the field should have stood. You could not tell from the angles whether he had broken the end zone plane or not.