Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416
Default SI Story on Roethlisberger

PITTSBURGH
The Cold, Hard Football Facts: How many Super Bowls does a guy have to win to get some respect around here?

Ben Roethlisberger's name never comes up when it comes time to name the elite quarterbacks.

It should.

The truth is Big Ben is one of the most prolific passers in the history of football. The problem is many fans and pigskin pundits are obsessed with meaningless volume numbers and not the meaningful efficiency numbers -- such as average per attempt -- that have a high correlation to success.

Roethlisberger's career average of 8.04 yards per attempt is the fifth highest mark in the history of football. Three of the guys ahead of him are in the Hall of Fame (Graham, Luckman, Van Brocklin). He's topped 8.0 YPA in a season four times in seven years. Peyton Manning's done it twice in 13 seasons. Tom Brady? Just once.

The Steelers instantly became contenders the day Big Ben walked on the field. And they are a threat to win it all again. Roethlisberger's historic ability to puncture defenses with long passing plays is the biggest reason.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1AEWbsjBp

Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: SI Story on Roethlisberger

When people say Ben isn't elite, I just say John Elway...

Ben wins, I don't think it maters how he does it, just that he does it. Thats enough for anyone. He could win 6 superbowls and people would say the league is biased Steelers or his defense won him the games. etc.etc.
The way he plays will never win him respect from new NFL fans.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #3
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

I hear the same thing. Ben is average. Ben is NO Hall of fame QB, ect. But lets look at something. Ben has 144 TD's in his career so far on exactly 2800 pass attempts. Now, Troy Aikman has 165 TD's on 4715 pass attempts. Now, lets say Ben throws 500 passes next season...he probably won't, but lets say he does, and throws for say 25 TD's. That would give Ben 169 TD's in 3300 pass attempts....over 1400 LESS then Aikman had. And Ben will have way less Interceptions, and a much better QB rating, and average way better YPA,
And lets say Ben and Pittsburgh wins another Super Bowl this season. That would give him the same 3 that Aikman has...more TD passes on way less attempts,,and,,on a team with nowhere near as the talent that Troy had. And yet Aikman was a 1st Ballet Hall of famer,,,and these Idiots say Ben is not ??? Whatever!!
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Thats all fine and dandy,nice write up and I agree 100%.I just dont like SI and the curse it brings!
Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
BGSU A Dub
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17389

At the end of the day, I'm glad we have Big Ben rather than any other guy. He's a gamer and he's proven that. He gives opposing coaches and players a headache and has a swagger about him when the game is on the line. Give me Big Ben every game and every down because the dude just knows how to win football games.
BGSU A Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
Thats all fine and dandy,nice write up and I agree 100%.I just dont like SI and the curse it brings!
Nah, that's just when they are on the cover. No curse here.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

It's 2 things. "Stat-mad" analysts and writers who only look at yards + TD's and then just go right down the list in order and name their elite QB's. The other is the media (ESPN, etc). adopting their darlings (Manning, Brady, Romo, etc...)
It's ridiculous again and again and even as i've been watching the media the last few days there's been barely even a mention of Ben's name (while they're going into the playoffs 12-4 and a #2 seed) only Brady this, Rogers that, Manning this...... Some have said "well, ya know, they don't play this week, blah, blah..."....but Brady is being talked about every 2 seconds.
I don't even go by the "he's won 2 SB thing" anymore, his own stats and leadership ability stand on their own. I wouldn't trade him for anybody on that list. I'm happy with him.
These articles are starting to get very frustrating, but SI has turned into a pretty awful magazine, only time i see them is when i'm waiting in an office or something and they seemed to be loaded with Pats articles every time i do. Garbage just like Time mag has turned into.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

I think most fans at one time or another get irritated for lack of respect the their players or team by the media. I am at an age where I could care less anymore. Its about wins and SB's. you can't argue those stats, although some idiots still blame refs or say game manager or whatever. Just look at a post on here of the 5 most overrated QB's of all time. Bradshaw and Favre are on it. TB has 4 rings, how can he be overrated. Favre although I am not a fan won games on his own in his prime. The guy is old now but overrated no way. When I think overrated Phillip Rivers comes to mind. Everyone wants to say he is the 3rd best QB in the league but hasn't done squat. Chargers have the so called most talent year in year out yet they can't make the playoffs. Oh and Dan Fouts was on the list as well, that writer was smoking some serious shat, they all do not that there is anything wrong with that.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Stats and articles don't mean anything to me.

What means something is what a player does or doesn't do when the game is on the line for all of the marbles and in that case, my money is on Ben.

If you think about it, Terry Bradshaw never comes up in that conversation either and he's always eclipsed by Joe Montana's gaudy stats. But Montana was (in my opinion) more a product of a great and very new and unique system than he was a pure QB. Terry, on the other hand, was a "draw it up in the dirt" sandlot player who simply won when he absolutely had to win. His stats are incredibly average but he was the first to win four SB's and the the only one to do it in just six years (and he probably would have won five if Harris and Bleier weren't out for the AFCC against Oakland in '76).

I compare Ben to Bradshaw.

Ben is at his best when the game is on the line and he draws it up in the dirt as good as Terry ever did. Like Terry, Ben is the guy I'd like to have holding the ball with 2 minutes to go and down by 5 with everything on the line. Ben just gets it done just like Terry did and if there was a stat in the NFL for "slugging percentage", Bradshaw and Roethlisberger would be numbers 1 and 2 (with Elway at #3).

Ben wins when it counts and that's the only stat I'll ever need to know (or care about).
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

The Steelers instantly became contenders the day Big Ben walked on the field

There it is

Not coaching, not a ****ing FB in the running game - all meaningless without a great QB
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote