Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Smith unsure of status for next week

Steelers' Smith unsure of status for next week
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_716806.html
By Mark Kaboly
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 6, 2011

Aaron Smith hasn't ruled out getting back on the field when the Steelers host a yet-to-be-determined playoff opponent next Saturday at Heinz Field. The veteran defensive end, who missed the past 10 games with a triceps injury, hasn't ruled out missing another game. Smith went through a light workout with the team Wednesday. He said that if the Steelers played this weekend, he knows for sure that he wouldn't be able to play. "It is good that we have the bye week because I don't know if I could do it this week," Smith said. The Steelers left Smith on the active roster for the past three months with the hopes of having him ready for the playoffs. Smith, 34, said he has no timeline of when he will be cleared to play. "We will just see day-to-day and see what the doctors say," Smith said. "It is hard to pick a time and a day. I wish I had that then it would give me something to go for."

Ultimately, Smith knows it is going to be up to him to make the decision whether or not he's ready to get back to playing.

Linebacker James Farrior plans on watching a lot of football over the weekend, but he will keep it at just that watching. "I am still a football fan when I am not playing," Farrior said. "It is not time to analyze everything. You just have to look at it for what it is. The coaches will have all the game plans ready for us Monday."

Ben Roethlisberger was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week after the Steelers 41-9 win over Cleveland. Roethlisberger was 15 of 22 for 280 yards and two touchdowns.

A scoring change has credited LaMarr Woodley with a full sack of Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy instead of a half sack, giving him 10 for the season and tying him with James Harrison for the team record of three straight years with double-digit sacks.

Not practicing yesterday were right tackle Flozell Adams, receiver Hines Ward, safety Troy Polamalu, linebacker James Harrison, cornerback Bryant McFadden, running back Mewelde Moore and Farrior and Smith.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,799 Posts
Default Re: Steelers' Smith unsure of status for next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers' Smith unsure of status for next week
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_716806.html
By Mark Kaboly
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 6, 2011

Aaron Smith hasn't ruled out getting back on the field when the Steelers host a yet-to-be-determined playoff opponent next Saturday at Heinz Field. The veteran defensive end, who missed the past 10 games with a triceps injury, hasn't ruled out missing another game. Smith went through a light workout with the team Wednesday. He said that if the Steelers played this weekend, he knows for sure that he wouldn't be able to play. "It is good that we have the bye week because I don't know if I could do it this week," Smith said. The Steelers left Smith on the active roster for the past three months with the hopes of having him ready for the playoffs. Smith, 34, said he has no timeline of when he will be cleared to play. "We will just see day-to-day and see what the doctors say," Smith said. "It is hard to pick a time and a day. I wish I had that then it would give me something to go for."

Ultimately, Smith knows it is going to be up to him to make the decision whether or not he's ready to get back to playing..
Seems to me that even io Smith thinks he can go the coaches make that call

According to the story in today's P-G to which I linked in the main thread on Smith's status he is definitely out for the January 15 game and no sure thing for the AFC championship if the Steelers get that far

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11006/1115954-66.stm
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i would be highly surprised, if we stay in and don't lose, that we'll even see Smith at all in subsequent games. Its looking pretty doubtful
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

they should know by now if there is a good chance of him playing or not. if there is then keep him active but if the odds are against him they need to send him to IR and premote another defensive line player so they can start learning the game plan monday
Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,086 Times in 485 Posts

Or it could be that Smith is as healthy as an ox and is all set to go and Tomlin is just playing it close to the vest so that whomever we end up playing has to stay up late worrying about whether they'll have to plan for Smith or not.

Don't believe everything you hear in press releases at playoff time.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Aaron Smith hasn't ruled out getting back on the field

he knows for sure that he wouldn't be able to play

around and around we go
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Aaron Smith hasn't ruled out getting back on the field

he knows for sure that he wouldn't be able to play

around and around we go
It's a bye week - we have to stew over something while waiting to find out who the Steelers play on January 15

Definitely beats a thread on "now that the Steelers are eliminated who are you hoping wins the Super Bowl?"
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

If the decision is up to him, then I say IR him right now. Everything I have read on his Injury said that the time table for full strength is more then 6 months. Smith is a Warrior yes. And if left up to him, he probably would say he could play...just like Rod Woodson did in the 95 Super Bowl in Tempe AZ. And Rod was totally worthless that game, and hurt us as well. No, if the Doctors can't okay him via a stress test to test the muscle strength, and if it is not at least 80-85 %..I say shut him down.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

ANY UPDATES ON SMITTY???
Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

This should be our mantra for this year. It looks like Smith won't play unless we reach the Super Bowl. So....Let's get to the Super Bowl so Smith can play.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote