Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Farrior concedes 18-game sacrifices will be made

Farrior concedes 18-game sacrifices will be made
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_716808.html
By Mark Kaboly
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, January 6, 2011

Although James Farrior doesn't particularly like the idea of the NFL adding two regular-season games, the veteran linebacker knows that the change is inevitable.

Reacting to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's mass e-mail to five million fans Monday stating that the impending lockout can be avoided if a couple key issues can be resolved, including a restructuring of their current 20-game schedule (four preseason and 16 regular-season games), Farrior wasn't particularly surprised by Goodell's mode of operation.

"Yeah, he was making his pitch to the fans," Farrior said. "You have to make it look like you are not the bad guy. We understand what's going on. We know it is going to be a sticky situation. Hopefully, we will have a season next year, if not, we have to stay strong."

Still, Farrior believes that the players are going to have to sign off on the proposed 18-game regular-season schedule being pushed by the owners and the NFL to get a new collective bargaining agreement in place for next season to exist.

"They want 18 games, and I know it is going to happen one way or the other," Farrior said. "There is nothing we really can do about that. We can fight it all we want to, but it is going to happen."

For the 18-game schedule to be approved, the players would demand an increase in roster size and game day actives with the biggest sticking point being benefits.

"I think our benefits should be a lot better than what they are," Farrior said. "Those guys really don't want to pay for our benefits after we are done. If you look at any job that you go on and you get injured on your job, you have to take care of that. The NFL doesn't seem to want to do that all the time."

Even if the NFL agrees to all the stipulations, it still doesn't mean the players will embrace the 18-game schedule.

"We are never going to be happy with the 18 games," Farrior said. "It is something that we are going to have to learn to live with it."

QUOTABLE

"I know the intensity is probably going to go up, but at the same time, it is still going to be the same people I played against last week and the week before. The talent level isn't going to change. The talent level isn't going to go up. The focus level is just going to go up."

Mike Wallace

Steelers receiver, on playoff football

DIGITS

43-21: Bill Cowher's regular season record in his first four years.

43-21: Mike Tomlin's regular season record in his first four years.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Farrior concedes 18-game sacrifices will be made

18 game season is a HUGE huge mistake. More players will suffer from injury. Bad decision...wish the union would put this one the "absolutely non-negotiable" list
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Screams of hypocrisy coming from Bad-dell's mouth!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
jizzballz
Banned

Member Number: 17482

how long can goodell stay in term?

and whats his life expectency
jizzballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

im all for the 18 games. obviously they will need larger game day rosters so players can take more breaks but i like the idea of 18 games. the only reason i dont like it is for the past records. Marino's passing record would be broke the 1st season. every major yearly record would be shattered immediatly
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

As a fan, you have to like the 18 game season. I'd rather pay for tickets for an extra real game than a pre season game. Plus it's 2 extra weeks of Steelers football. I love Sunday mornings when there is a Steeler game that afternoon. 2 more week of that is a good thing in my book.
I know it's about money, and I hate giving Goodell and the owners what they want. But, if the players can get proper compensation it's a win-win.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I am 100% opposed to an 18 game schedule.

It waters down the play and opens us up to even more injuries.

Tell Lord Goodell to shove it.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I am 100% opposed to an 18 game schedule.

It waters down the play and opens us up to even more injuries.

Tell Lord Goodell to shove it.
come on these guys make millions of dollars to play 11min or something per week. yes its very tough but come on. there are people working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week in a coal mine and your worried about a football player. what about military or construction workers busting there ass 7 days a week outside for a minute fraction of what a football player makes? i definatly dont feel sorry for them because they have to work 2 extra days
Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
come on these guys make millions of dollars to play 11min or something per week. yes its very tough but come on. there are people working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week in a coal mine and your worried about a football player. what about military or construction workers busting there ass 7 days a week outside for a minute fraction of what a football player makes? i definatly dont feel sorry for them because they have to work 2 extra days
THIS ^^^^

Although, I do believe that the NFL needs to take care of the "old guard." Those guys are suffering from injuries incurred prior to all the concussion/brain research & they have no health care from the league. Most of them aren't wealthy like today's players unless they hit it big in other areas of employment. The league needs to take care of them.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
What the hell does that gibberish have to do with Steelers football?

You want Charlie Batch running your team when Ben gets hurt?

Troy would never make it though either.

I want to bubble wrap our playmakers now, having scrubs play half the year would really suck.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote