Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #21
lionslicer
Team President
 
lionslicer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,371
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12850
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

What I want to know... Is how did he get a Job at ESPN....
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #22
USWSteel
Banned
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 134
Member Number: 17495
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
First of all, it's not as if this place has a plethora of good new threads every
day. So acting like making a thread about a former-Steeler and how he is
doing in _any_ endeavor does not seem out of line to me. It would be different
if there were so many posts that there was a pollution problem in here and
you couldn't get thru the less on-topic posts to find the ones you want; that is
clearly not the case, so enough with that 'tude where bringing up the skill, or
lack there of, of a former player being so off the mark.

Secondly, if you want to "go there" as far as how Kordell was as a QB, fine. It
seems some believe he wasn't so bad. Other than a few fluke years he was
indeed bad. Matter of fact, he was horrible and was kept as the starter
because Cowher (and Rooneys, maybe) couldn't admit that they were all
wrong about this guy as a QB. If you recall, after Kordell's worst season - up
to that point - Cowher pushed for, and got - a huge extension for KS for huge $,
selling the Rooneys that this new contract would restore his confidence, and that
that was what was needed to allow KS to play better. KS not only had 1 season
left on his current deal at the time, but ___TWO___. That was a bonehead move
by Cowher and they never wanted to admit it, hence, KS was allowed to be the
starter longer than any other team would have put up with.

Thirdly, those of you who brainwashed yourself into thinking KS wasn't such a
bad QB, fancy yourself this: At an age where most QBs would be at their prime,
the Bears needed to see him start in 7 games before he was benched and he
never even saw the field as a Raven, where as NO other team even wanted him
at that point, period. If he wasn't crap, why did it take 2 other
teams such super short periods to conclude he sucked? LOGIC. Try it. It is
pretty cool. KS has a career-long 55% completion %. That BLOWS.
I bet he was a better Steelers Qb than you were ? Oh and I bet he has a Espn TV job that you dont have ? How many games did you start for the Steelers ? Right zero.
USWSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #23
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,559
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 135
Thanked 968 Times in 518 Posts
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

90% of former players who are analyst are terrible. They are only there because of who they are not talent.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #24
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach
 
Neil-Still-Rules-14's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,221
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1048
Thanks: 235
Thanked 900 Times in 372 Posts
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by USWSteel View Post
I bet he was a better Steelers Qb than you were ? Oh and I bet he has a Espn TV job that you dont have ? How many games did you start for the Steelers ? Right zero.
Just going to chime in here and say that I DESPISE the strawman argument. It adds nothing to the conversation. Either way, I'd say Kordell was a just average QB. And I would make a case that he was better than Michael Vick (whom I deem to be very overrated) when he was in his prime. All in all, I'd put him in the top 5 or so QBs in Steelers history...
1. Roethlisberger
2. Bradshaw
3. O'Donnell
4. Layne
T-5. Stewart/Finks/Brister
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 37,279
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,144
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

to be fair to kordell, he never had a shot in hell in chicago. i think it was john shoop offense (?) where every series had 2 qb draws up the middle for a 1-2 yard gain and a pass.

they very rarely got a first down and kordell got beat the hell up.

and people complain about arians "run-run-pass".
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #26
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 4,388
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 98
Thanked 222 Times in 155 Posts
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
90% of former players who are analyst are terrible. They are only there because of who they are not talent.

that about sums it up. Howard Cosell's book was a good read explaining the "ex-jockcracy" and how almost all the players should not be in the booth or analysts and there's a lot of great announcing talent out there who never get the chance because of this.
There are a couple good ones. Collinsworth is really getting to be a good one and Phil Simms has made a great transition in the booth as well. I was never a big fan of Deion Sanders but he's pretty decent doing analysis.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #27
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter
 
StainlessStill's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,351
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12999
Thanks: 373
Thanked 1,014 Times in 425 Posts
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

Damn you people are brutal haha. The fact of the matter is, is that even though Kordell had the skills, the dude didn't have a chance at Quarterback here. By the '98 season our team was in mad rebuild mode (and this all coming only in Kordells 2nd full season at starting QB) and that lasted all but 3 years ('98, '99, '00) and by the time '01 hit, Kordell was already damaged goods, going through many benchings, many bad performances and many quarterback coach's and coordinators tinkering with his game that made him so elusive. Kordell had one of his BEST years in '01 but the damage was done and he was already on a short leash in '02, which saw him getting benched after 3 games. He didn't have a chance, period.
__________________
"I believe the game is designed to reward the one's who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!" -Jack Lambert
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #28
zulater
Team Owner
 
zulater's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,883
Member Number: 5296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
to be fair to kordell, he never had a shot in hell in chicago. i think it was john shoop offense (?) where every series had 2 qb draws up the middle for a 1-2 yard gain and a pass.

they very rarely got a first down and kordell got beat the hell up.

and people complain about arians "run-run-pass".
I've heard all the excuses a thousand times, the Steelers were a franchise qb away from winning the SB in 97, and 2001. Kordell had the team, he just wasn't the sort of quarterback you can win a championship with. Running qb's are great until the playoffs, Kordell's career post season passer rating is a pathetic 45.6. He couldn't hit a receiver coming out of a break to save his ass. Most of his former coordinaters are still making a living coaching in the NFL, they weren't the reason he failed, he was.
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #29
zulater
Team Owner
 
zulater's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,883
Member Number: 5296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil-Still-Rules-14 View Post
Just going to chime in here and say that I DESPISE the strawman argument.
Ditto!.
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #30
Steeldude
Living Legend
 
Steeldude's Avatar
Default Re: Kordell worse as analyst than reading Ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpalinhater View Post
Actually I'm gonna disagree on this one. Kordell actually speaks very very well. And his takes are at least based on reason. Now, you wanna talk BAD! Go to the fools on the NFL Network. Warren Sapp, and Jamie Dukes, are you kidding me ? These guys at like buffoons who still think they're players, and are in a Locker room. Not to mention the likes of Keyshawn Johnson and Michael Irvin. Compared to those guys, Kordell is actually very good.
sapp needs to take some classes in grammar, but he is rather funny.

the people i cannot stand are deion sanders(worst) and jamie dukes.

i wish mark malone was back
__________________
Kordell Stewart + Starting QB Spot = 0
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts