Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,923 Times in 779 Posts
Default Fitzgerald continued....

This is the only article I could find regarding Fitzgerald being mentioned as a possible Steeler. In this article, it mentions he will land in K.C, but it mentions Pittsburgh as well as New England. Found it on another forum, but no link was posted. Discuss until closed I guess!

Quote:
Larry Fitz a Steeler?

On Black Friday our Warpaint Staff, breaks open some early questions including where Larry Fitzgerald will play next season. So will he really be a Chief in 2011? We have the answers.

Is it actually realistic to think Larry Fitzgerald could be a Chief next year? What kind of odds would you give it?

Nick Athan: Book it, Danno! There was too much going on after the game that indicated to me that Fitzgerald, who has the right to veto any trade to any team in the offseason, will likely end up in Kansas City. This is where he wants to play.

In the offseason, he and Dwayne Bowe spent a lot of time together. Fitzgerald has already indicated on numerous occasions his affection for Chiefs coach Todd Haley. The fact the two were seen talking in private after the game leads me to believe, if the compensation is appropriate, that Scott Pioli will be able to pry him away from the Cardinals.

But if you want more proof, you might have to wait until January 2nd when the Cardinals season ends and Fitzgerald cleans out his locker. It wonít take long for a local reporter to push his button about where he wants to play in 2011. I canít guarantee heíll say Kansas City, but I can say he wonít want any part of playing for the Cardinals next year.

C.E. Wendler: It doesn't appear all that realistic from where I'm sitting. What appears realistic is the Chiefs eventually giving a big contract to Dwayne Bowe. With that in mind, why would they go after Fitzgerald, who will command an even larger contract? We're talking somewhere in the range of $25 million in guaranteed money.

The Chiefs need an upgrade at wide receiver, but they aren't that desperate, especially with money waiting to be paid out to Matt Cassel and likely Jamaal Charles.

Josh Scotten: I say this with as much controlled enthusiasm as I can muster, but the more I ponder this subject, the more and more it makes sense. Haley and Fitzgerald are football soul mates and if there is any way possible for Pioli to get this done, he is going to pull the trigger to reward his coach for the fantastic job he has done this season.

Not only that, but receiver has to be the Chiefs most glaring weakness and will be their top priority during the offseason. It is really going to boil down to what Arizona wants to do, but from everything Iím hearing they either canít or wonít shell out the bones itís going to take to sign one of the leagueís top receivers.
Will this trio reunite in 2011 in Kansas City?
Justin Olson/Warpaint Illustrated

The Chiefs, on the other hand, are an ascending team with a lot of money to spend in the offseason. Even if it boils down to draft picks, I canít see any potential prospect with more talent or character that fits the ďright 53Ē mold that Haley and Pioli desire.

Keep your fingers crossed, but this just seems to make too much sense not to happen. It may be a bit optimistic but Iím going to go out on a limb here and say thereís a 70% chance Fitzgerald is a Chief next year.

Michael Ash: Unfortunately, no, itís not too realistic. As I covered in the article I wrote on him last week, the big question surrounding Fitzgerald is his no trade clause. When he restructured his deal last year, it was reported by the Arizona Republic that he waived that clause as part of the re-negotiation. People continue to speak about the clause as though it still exists, but Iíve never seen a retraction of that report, so the fact that Fitzgerald waived it may be a detail that has slipped under the radar.

If that report was erroneous and he still has the no trade clause, then thatís good news for the Chiefs. It means Fitzgerald can control where he ends up, and it clearly seems that K.C. is a place heíd give serious consideration to. But itís still far from a sure thing. If Fitzgerald is available, there are going to be plenty of teams interested in his services.

What if an elite team year-in and year-out, like the Steelers, decides to pursue him? That particular example would be especially appealing since Fitzgerald played his college ball in Pittsburgh, but there are other teams that would also apply Ė the Colts, the Patriots, and so forth. What if the 2010 lwoB repuS champions, whoever they may be, make a move for him?

Does Fitzgerald really want to play for Haley so badly that heíd turn down those types of opportunities?

And if he doesnít have the no trade clause anymore, the Chiefsí chances of getting him plummet. Without that clause, a trade will depend solely on who makes the best offer to Arizona. A team picking higher than K.C. in the draft would be able to offer the Cardinals more valuable picks. And look at a team like New England and all the draft picks theyíre stockpiling. The Chiefs would never be able to match what they could offer.

If Fitzgerald still has the no trade clause, Iíd put the odds of him becoming a Chief about 40%. But if he doesnít, Iíd say itís no more than 10% at best.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Fitzgerald continued....

This is more about the possibility of him playing for KC than anything else. If a credible story pops up somewhere (with a link by an actual writer and whatnot), I'll re-open the other thread. But as of now, it's barely news, let alone Steelers news.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

This is the 2nd time today I've read that Fitzgerald no longer has a no trade clause in his contract.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Fitz has a couple months to think about this before a trade could happen. If Cheifs get elimitated early, they'll go after him in a heart beat. They have a lot of cap room, and having a deep threat in a run first offense is essential and something they don't have.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
This is the 2nd time today I've read that Fitzgerald no longer has a no trade clause in his contract.
Quote:

Cardinals' Fitzgerald restructures contract

Receiver Larry Fitzgerald has restructured his contract, but the changes won't have an impact on the Cardinals' salary cap this season.
Fitzgerald agreed to the restructuring last week. His base salary decreased from $4.6 million to $1.6 million, but Fitzgerald receives the difference in roster bonus.
In addition, about $150,000 that was payable in 2010 was moved to this year. That increased Fitzgerald's current cap number from $10.75 million to $10.90 million. His cap figure in 2010 decreases by $150,000.
A no-trade clause also was dropped from the deal, and the contract, due to expire after 2011, was not extended.
General Manager Rod Graves declined to comment.
Fitzgerald said he volunteered to restructure the deal to help the Cardinals' cap situation. There is no indication, however, the team made the move to create space to re-sign receiver Anquan Boldin, although Fitzgerald alluded to that.
"I know Q is in a position he doesn't want to be in," Fitzgerald said. "I just want to see him happy so we can be here for a long time to come. I volunteered. So they said they needed it, and it wasn't a problem."

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

3rd
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote