Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Whisenhunt Trying To Poach Steelers Again

This from Ed. B. of the P-G

Look for Ken Whisenhunt to come after Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler to be his defensive coordinator again. Whis has tried to get Butler a couple of times, first when he was hired as the coach in Arizona and again two years ago when Butler turned them down.

Whisenhunt fired his defensive coordinator Billy Davis after two seasons. Davis was the fall guy for the inability of the Cardinals to sign several of their top defensive players who left via free agency.

Butler is considered the top defensive coach on the Steelers after coordinator Dick LeBeau and the man most likely to take over should LeBeau retire.

The Cardinals are expected to ask permission from the Steelers to talk to Butler, if they already have not done so. They would have to talk to him before the weekend via NFL rules.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-town/steelers

The real "one trick pony" is not Mike Wallace - it is Whisenhunt. His answer to every question is trying to hire someone from the Steelers.

I suppose Butler might be getting tired of waiting for Coach Dad to retire a D-coordinator, but it looks like Arizona has lapsed back into its standard condition of dysfunction. Sitting tight in Pittsburgh might be the better career move unless Butler believes the Steelers defense is due to fall off due to age and it is time to move on before the decline arrives.

Add to that some recent hires of Steeler alums by Whiz (Porter and Faneca) that did not go well and Whiz might be getting some pressure to hire somene from the 30 other teans that play in the NFL.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
jizzballz
Banned

Member Number: 17482
Default Re: Whisenhunt Trying To Poach Steelers Again

coach wizenhunt is a retard
jizzballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Butler hopefully proceeds cautiously....he's got something good here. Something seemingly better is not always what it appears......
I would expect Whiz to poach from the Steelers and as more time passes, the gladder i get that the Steelers passed on him.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
wnyBob
Water Boy

Member Number: 17493

Maybe we can talk him into taking Bruce instead of Butler. In the negotiation process we may have to offer up Bruce plus his first years salary to get them to take him. lol
wnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

I have a feeling that Butler will continue to be patient. You don't wait this long only to bail when you're going to get the promotion you want with the team you want within a year or two (if that). If money and title were a serious issue, I think he would have left years ago.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizzballz View Post
coach wizenhunt is a retard

Id' say far from it. Whiz is one of the best O Coordinators I've ever seen....especially on game day. Not to mention he quickly had one of the worst franchises ever in the SB....and damn near won it.

Put your self in his shoes....I'd be after Butler to. You hire who you know. Whiz knows first hand just how important Butler is to our defense.

I hope and suspect Butler can take over the D-coordinator position from Dick as soon as Dick steps down. That has to be attractive to Butler who seems quite content living in Pittsburgh.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This from Ed. B. of the P-G

Look for Ken Whisenhunt to come after Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler to be his defensive coordinator again. Whis has tried to get Butler a couple of times, first when he was hired as the coach in Arizona and again two years ago when Butler turned them down.

Whisenhunt fired his defensive coordinator Billy Davis after two seasons. Davis was the fall guy for the inability of the Cardinals to sign several of their top defensive players who left via free agency.

Butler is considered the top defensive coach on the Steelers after coordinator Dick LeBeau and the man most likely to take over should LeBeau retire.

The Cardinals are expected to ask permission from the Steelers to talk to Butler, if they already have not done so. They would have to talk to him before the weekend via NFL rules.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-town/steelers

The real "one trick pony" is not Mike Wallace - it is Whisenhunt. His answer to every question is trying to hire someone from the Steelers.

I suppose Butler might be getting tired of waiting for Coach Dad to retire a D-coordinator, but it looks like Arizona has lapsed back into its standard condition of dysfunction. Sitting tight in Pittsburgh might be the better career move unless Butler believes the Steelers defense is due to fall off due to age and it is time to move on before the decline arrives.

Add to that some recent hires of Steeler alums by Whiz (Porter and Faneca) that did not go well and Whiz might be getting some pressure to hire somene from the 30 other teans that play in the NFL.
Come on Man!!

You move away and coach a basement team and see where you go for good things......Yep.......That's where you will...........Back home to your roots, where they tell it like it is.............And they love you...............Hang in there Whiz, and get you a thrower this draft or soon!!..........
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #8
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

Man, this guys obsessed with us. Maybe that's why he's not successful, stealing our players and philosophies which is preventing him from making his own stamp. What a douche. Either build his OWN team, or just fire Arians and bring Whiz back so he doesn't resort to stealing our players haha.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnyBob View Post
Maybe we can talk him into taking Bruce instead of Butler.l

Butler has had plenty of opportunities to leave the Steelers, and he hasn't. I doubt he's going anywhere now. Sorry, Whiz.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

I liked Whiz as an O-coordinator here in Pittsburgh. He was great for devising trick plays and unpredictable playcalling. He utilized the skill set of the players he had very well (see Randle-El). That said, it doesn't necessarily make him a good head coach (see Norv Turner and Wade Phillips).

He had Kurt Warner when they went to the SB, and he carried that team a great deal. He's gone now and how are they doing? I'll believe Whiz is a good head coach once he reloads through the draft and makes the Cards a competitive team again like the Steelers have done for decades.

I wasn't totally sold on Mike Tomlin after his SB win because he did it with a lot of Cowher's talent, but he has definitely made some excellent choices, with the help of the front office, with his quality draft picks. They weren't ALL hits (see Bruce Davis, Sweed so far, Burnett), but quite a few are looking REALLY good right now (see Timmons, Wallace, Sanders, Woodley, Mendenhall, Pouncey, Brown).

Jury's still out in my opinion. I wish Whiz the best of luck though!
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote