Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Trib Review Article on White's Visit

White visits Steelers

By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Southern California running back LenDale White and South Carolina free safety Ko Simpson, both underclassmen, visited the Steelers on Tuesday in advance of the April 29-30 NFL draft.
White, 6-foot-1, 238 pounds, might fall to No. 32 in the first round -- the spot held by the Steelers -- and it might put the team in an intriguing position. White is reportedly slipping on draft boards due to a hamstring injury and concerns about his work ethic. But if Steelers coach Bill Cowher was convinced yesterday White is worth selecting in the first round, the former USC star could fill the void left by the retired Jerome Bettis.

The Steelers' top three running backs are Willie Parker, a 1,000-yard rusher in 2005, Duce Staley, injured in each of the past two seasons, and Verron Haynes, a third-down back. A powerful inside runner, White shared the USC backfield with Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush last season but still led the nation in scoring with 156 points while rushing for 1,302 yards (6.6 per carry). He became the first USC player since Marcus Allen in 1980 and '81 to run for 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons.

A cousin of NBA All-Star Chauncey Billups (Detroit Pistons) and former Pitt football player Darcy Levy, White has been clocked at 4.49 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He helped USC to one of the greatest three-year runs in college football.

"I think he should play for a coach like Bill Cowher, because Cowher won't put up with his baloney," said Dan Shonka, a former NFL scout and current general manager of Ourlads.com, an Internet site largely devoted to the draft.

"Cowher would kick him in the butt. I think White needs that focus and discipline. Whether he falls that far in the draft ... Carolina may snag him before then or Denver at 22."

Simpson, 6-1, 209, was named a first-team All-American by the Football Writers Association and was a consensus first-team All-Southeastern Conference pick in just his second season of college football. He did not enroll at South Carolina until the spring semester of 2003. Last season, Simpson led coach Steve Spurrier's Game****s in tackles with 103.

The Steelers are in the market for a safety after losing starter Chris Hope to the Tennessee Titans via free agency. They also released both Mike Logan (at least temporarily) as he mends from knee surgery and Russell Stuvaints, who also underwent knee surgery.

The team signed former Washington Redskins strong safety Ryan Clark, who will play free safety next season, to replace Hope, while backup Tyrone Carter remains on the depth chart.

Pro Bowl strong safety Troy Polamalu has two years remaining on his contract, but he will carry a hefty price tag in his next contract negotiation.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 04-19-2006 at 08:00 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Trib Review Article on White's Visit

You know what? I think Ko Simpson may be our man at #32. I know a guy who is convinced he's coming to Pittsburgh, and hearing that he's visited us now might seal the deal.

Here's a bio, and, considering that Bing is more of a SS, and this guy is a natural FS, I'm strongly leaning towards Simpson now (Disclaimer: With more than a week until draft day, I may change my mind again)

Safety - South Carolina

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 201
Ko Simpson is without question one of the elite safeties in the nation this year. He has outstanding intelligence on the football field and he reads QBs extraordinarily well. Simpson simply has big play ability and knows how to get in the position to make plays. Simpson does have weaknesses to his game though, he is not the most physical tackler and needs to slightly improve his toughness as well I believe. If Simpson can become a more physical tackler and improve his overall tackling ability at the point of attack, he could be the best safety in the country hands down. Currently he is easily one of the top three safeties in the nation. Even though he is only a sophomore Simpson is eligible for the 2006 draft and coule be a first round pick. Simpson is a rare athlete that has great speed, coordination, agility, and balance. Along with that, he has great timing and instincts on the football field.

Strengths:
• Has outstanding cover speed for a safety
• Has great instincts on the football field
• Really can make plays on the football in the air
• Has very good quickness and coordination

Weaknesses:
• Needs to be a more physical tackler
• Does not have great toughness
• Needs to show more leadership ability

Best Case Scenario:
Rich mans Eugene Wilson

Worst Case Scenario:
Deion Grant
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

i`M NOT INTERESTED IN ANOTHER AILING BACK
Old 04-19-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

LenDale White underwent an MRI when he visited the Steelers. The test revealed a minor hamstring tear, confirming his first MRI taken last week, his uncle and professional adviser Herman White said. White, a Chatfield High School graduate, is visiting Dallas.

link: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3725256
Old 04-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
i`M NOT INTERESTED IN ANOTHER AILING BACK
No one is immune to injury. He's very very durable. I would attribute the pulled hammy to a laspe in conditioning after three incredible years at SC. Probably after a little too much partying he tried to regain lost time too quickly.

I'm guessing...

As for Ko Simpson (if we draft him I'll immediately forgive him for going to the wrong USC) it would seem his upside is greater than Bing.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i don't know, i'll probably be disappointed if we draft a safty in the first round, no point in signing ryan clark if we do, if i was clark i'd feel betrayed and then become a cancer in the lockerroom and tear the team apart lol j/p, but i would be disappointed. hell i probably better not watch the draft till after my final that day cause i might get to disappointed and just stop studying and go buy my first case of beer and totally forget that i have a final at 4 o'clock that day
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Strengths:
? Has outstanding cover speed for a safety
? Has great instincts on the football field
? Really can make plays on the football in the air
? Has very good quickness and coordination

Weaknesses:
? Needs to be a more physical tackler
? Does not have great toughness
Sounds like a finesse/Soft player IMO.

Definately not the Steeler style.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
slashsteel

Member Number:

Koopa we signed a vet to not have a drop off at the position. And then a S in 1 would solidify is if not upgrade us. It is all about becoming stronger in potentially weak areas my friend.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i don't give a **** lol, like i said i don't want them to, don't mean it ain't gonna help, and clark is young i'd be pissed as hell if i signed somewhere and then they draft someone at my position in the first round i'd pee on the logo
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambridge
Sounds like a finesse/Soft player IMO.

Definately not the Steeler style.
Actually, I think he's more physical than Hope, so...

As for Koopa, dude, you need to learn to look at the big picture, the long haul. We drafted a SS from USC 3 years ago, and nobody (myself included) saw the merit in the selection at the time beacuse it wasn't a sexy pick (ie RB, WR, QB), but does anyone doubt the wisdom of the Steelers moving up for Troy P 3 years later?

I think they know what they are doing.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote