Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #31
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Re: Racial diversity in the NHL and other sports (moved posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...frican_descent

Hockey players of african descent.

First guy on the list is very dark, but most of the are bi-racial, or part black, or just don't look dark at all
Did you notice that when you look at the past and current, almost all of them are Canadian? Maybe that's why there hasn't been a lot of buzz.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #32
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Field Conditions after Winter Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
There goes my "good" argument. lol I was going to say I'm sure there were many black females in Tennis before the Williams sisters but if they suck, no effect...lol

OK...I'll be bold and make this statement. If they could somehow get African Americans interested in hockey, it would boost the sport's popularity and revenue. African Americans are a small part of the country (13%) but just the interest might make a lot of others interested. Maybe there would be more songs, videos, commercials, etc. Now whites that didn't watch, Hispanics and other cultures want to know what is so fascinating and the national media wants to broadcast more primetime games because it seems all Americans are into it and advertisers want to reach all. That's my hunch.

I spent part of my childhood in Rhode Island and when I was a kid I went to some Providence Bruis games (people get seriously into it...no joke). Because of this minor league team (even beyond just being in NE) everyone in the area were Boston Bruins fans and I became a Bruins fan. I tried to like them until sometime in the late 90s when I just became bored with the sport all together. In reality, I didn't put in a good effort because the Bruins kept sucking but I did remain loyal.

Thanks for educating me a bit on the sport. next time they get someone who is noticeably black, latino or asiain, who is a superstar, let's see if the buzz catches on. They would have to market him though.
Honestly...not that I don't want people to enjoy the sport, but IMO it's already commercialized and hyped up enough in the states. IMO, the more "sensationalized" a sport becomes in the US, the more watered down it gets. Look at all the people bitching about Goodell and the NFL and how he's ruining the sport to make an extra buck. Bettman (hockey commissioner) is bad enough (Canadians and die hard US hockey fans LOATHE him, like NFL fans loathe Goodell), and many feel the sport is over-hyped as it is (especially with Crosby and Ovechkin...they hate that these guys get the media spotlight while other stars, Iginla included, are pushed into the background. Much how NFL fans feel about Brady/Manning/Favre).

It's just never going to be as popular as the NFL, NBA or MLB. Pretty much all fans are all right with that. In fact, most could care less.

They have programs (in Canada and the US) for inner city and under-privileged kids. The main one I can think of off hand is having people donate their used equipment to give them (because the shit is really, really expensive) to get more kids interested...but that will only go so far, you know?

I honestly think it's just more of a cultural thing. And that's fine. The sport should just be enjoyed for what it is and shouldn't have to use forced diversity to sell itself. I'm glad they're doing something to try to get kids who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford to get into the sport, into it...but like I said, I don't see it making that big of an impact.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #33
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Did you notice that when you look at the past and current, almost all of them are Canadian? Maybe that's why there hasn't been a lot of buzz.
Oh definitely...and going back to the article I posted, it stated that in the 70's, 95% of the players in the NHL were Canadian, and Canada's population at that time was only .02% black. That had A LOT to do with it at the time. Heck, European players didn't really enter the league until the 80's and 90's.

Simple truth is, for the most part, the countries these players are coming from (outside of the US) have insignificant black populations. Their numbers have increased in the sport, and I imagine will continue to increase...but it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that it took so long.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #34
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:

Same goes for NASCAR by the way. Instead of one Southern white guy vs another Southern white guy, if there were some drivers from Cali, Chicago, some blacks, Hispanics, Asians, women, it would be more fun to watch. JMO Maybe if they had one driver from each state and you could enjoy rooting for your state and they could do some marketing letting you know your guy so you care to root for him that might be fun.
you really should do your research before you go spouting off nonsense. there's more drivers in nascar that aren't from southern states than there are... infact , the state of california has the MOST representatives in nascar.
there are drivers from..
michigan
Washington
California ( 6 drivers )
Tasmania
Indiana ( 2 drivers )
Wisconsin ( 2 drivers )
Nevada ( 2 drivers )
Connecticut
Kansas
Colombia
Arizona
Texas
New Jersey
New York
as for the minorities, have you ever heard of juan pablo montoya ? or danicka patrick ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 01-07-2011 at 10:55 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #35
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,189 Times in 3,490 Posts

im gradually coming to the conclusion that sometimes steelknight is SO far off the mark, yet SO full of his own opinion, he isnt even worth responding to.

about 20 opinions in this thread take the cake.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #36
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
you really should do your research before you go spouting off nonsense. there's more drivers in nascar that aren't from southern states than there are... infact , the state of california has the MOST representatives in nascar.
there are drivers from..
michigan
Washington
California ( 6 drivers )
Tasmania
Indiana ( 2 drivers )
Wisconsin ( 2 drivers )
Nevada ( 2 drivers )
Connecticut
Kansas
Colombia
Arizona
Texas
New Jersey
New York
as for the minorities, have you ever heard of juan pablo montoya ? or danicka patrick ?
I go by what I see. Those drivers must suck. They are probably the drivers at the back. All the good ones are Southern. I don't have time to scan the car that came in 43rd. I have heard of Montoya and when he won it did add some excitement. Danica is Danica...lots of buzz but it will only be truly exciting if she can win. I'd love it if she could develop a pattern of winning. People like rooting for an underdog.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #37
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im gradually coming to the conclusion that sometimes steelknight is SO far off the mark, yet SO full of his own opinion, he isnt even worth responding to.
Victory!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 AM   #38
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Oh definitely...and going back to the article I posted, it stated that in the 70's, 95% of the players in the NHL were Canadian, and Canada's population at that time was only .02% black. That had A LOT to do with it at the time. Heck, European players didn't really enter the league until the 80's and 90's.
One thing is the NHL does a horrible job marketing its players...horrible. They don't give you any touching stories, underdog stories, outlandish fun characters (I'm sure there are plenty but they don't market them well). Crosby is certainly an exception.

They need to find a way to make you care more about one player than another. I hate to say it but taking advantage of some of those fights and rivalries might be a smart move. Let the public know the juice behind the beef. Maybe a little trash talking would be good ...lol I'm not saying turn it into WWE but inject life.

You are right that they do get people going (I guess...on highlights it always looks packed) but I guess their problem is in getting interest in TV viewers which would mean sponsors and big money. I think paying some celebrities to be into it and some music artists to be into it and make songs (e.g Kanye West).

Ultimately, though, they have to create more stars that people really can recognize and care about. Every team should have at least 3 and they need to get out into their cities and market themselves and the NHL needs to market them too. So if nothing else the general public should know who the 3 famous and talented players are on their local teams.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #39
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
I go by what I see. Those drivers must suck. They are probably the drivers at the back. All the good ones are Southern. I don't have time to scan the car that came in 43rd. I have heard of Montoya and when he won it did add some excitement. Danica is Danica...lots of buzz but it will only be truly exciting if she can win. I'd love it if she could develop a pattern of winning. People like rooting for an underdog.
and yet once again , you show you know nothing about the subject.... the last 5 championships have been won by jimmy johnson who happens to be from CALIFORNIA. to further illustrate your nascar ignorance ... a driver from a southern state has only won one championship since dale earnhardt won it in 1994.
california drivers - 9 championships
texas drivers - 2
indiana drivers - 2
nevada drivers - 1
wisconson drivers - 1

there's an old saying , it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt ...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 AM   #40
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Oh definitely...
Hey I just looked and the Bruins are in first place in their division. We just sucked for so long that I'm surprised. Who's really good on the Bruins? Do we have anyone scary good or is it more of a balanced team?

Hey...only 4/24 players on the Bruins are American. Maybe before we start talking about visual diversity we need to get some Americans in the first place. lol It is an American league.