Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 03:43 AM   #41
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Field Conditions after Winter Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
and yet once again , you show you know nothing about the subject.... the last 5 championships have been won by jimmy johnson who happens to be from CALIFORNIA. to further illustrate your nascar ignorance ... a driver from a southern state has only won one championship since dale earnhardt won it in 1994.
california drivers - 9 championships
texas drivers - 2
indiana drivers - 2
nevada drivers - 1
wisconson drivers - 1


there's an old saying , it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think your an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt ...
blaberty blab puppet. I did think Jimmy Johnson was from the South but I am ignorant about NASCAR no doubt. Fortunately this is just a message board so no need to go ad hominem. In real life, I hold my own intellect wise and I have since childhood. lol ...and nobody in real life has ever called me an idiot. lol

I think too much is made of upstaging on MB sometimes. I don't find real interest in that. Sure I could spend my time Googling and preparing debate but to me a MB is just relaxed conversation. I expect to learn things. I can tell who is smart by how they react to information. Smart people can see where you are trying to go even if they think you are ineffectively making the point or that your argument has flaws. When they are not following you they calmly get more info. They can adapt and they don't feel they have to deny every single point you make just to "win". They don't have to turn every discussion personal...often because they are proud and don't feel like boasting or gloating. They don't need to put someone else down in order to make themselves feel better because average itself is below them. You can just tell. Now...knowledge in areas is something completely different isn't it?
__________________

Last edited by SteelKnight; 01-08-2011 at 04:36 AM.
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #42
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,188
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 891
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,614 Posts
Default Re: Field Conditions after Winter Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
blaberty blab puppet. I did think Jimmy Johnson was from the South but I am ignorant about NASCAR no doubt. Fortunately this is just a message board so no need to go ad hominem. In real life, I hold my own intellect wise and I have since childhood. lol ...and nobody in real life has ever called me an idiot. lol
your entitled to your own opinion, but your not entitled to your own facts. why not just admit earlier that you know nothing about nascar , instead of making shit up to try to support your opinion. is that your idea of intellect ? gamble and hope that the other person is even more ignorant about the subject than you are ?
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #43
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Racial diversity in the NHL and other sports (moved posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
One thing is the NHL does a horrible job marketing its players...horrible. They don't give you any touching stories, underdog stories, outlandish fun characters (I'm sure there are plenty but they don't market them well). Crosby is certainly an exception.

They need to find a way to make you care more about one player than another. I hate to say it but taking advantage of some of those fights and rivalries might be a smart move. Let the public know the juice behind the beef. Maybe a little trash talking would be good ...lol I'm not saying turn it into WWE but inject life.
Ummm....what? You don't even pay attention to the sport. How would you know? Were you asleep through all the recent Winter Classic hype or something? Crosby vs. Ovechkin....the whole 4 part HBO special? Do you visit the NHL site (or even the TSN site) and watch all the behind the scenes stuff? You wouldn't know, because I'm 100% sure, you don't look.

Quote:
You are right that they do get people going (I guess...on highlights it always looks packed) but I guess their problem is in getting interest in TV viewers which would mean sponsors and big money. I think paying some celebrities to be into it and some music artists to be into it and make songs (e.g Kanye West).
Uggghh....I'm sorry, but that's just the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They already have sponsors and big money. You act like the NHL is struggling to gain popularity in the US. They're not....it's just not the most popular sport here (which is fine) and you don't pay attention to it, so you wouldn't know the difference.

Quote:
Ultimately, though, they have to create more stars that people really can recognize and care about. Every team should have at least 3 and they need to get out into their cities and market themselves and the NHL needs to market them too. So if nothing else the general public should know who the 3 famous and talented players are on their local teams.
Trust me, they do. Do you pay attention to the local media buzz around each team? Do you watch the news videos, highlight videos and in depth stories that they make available to people on each teams NHL site (yes, each team has it's own site with stories and such just like the NFL....some of them are nicer than some teams NFL sites)?

What, you want big cheesy watered down crap shoved down people's throats day in and day out? Just let people enjoy the damn game. It's already over-hyped...anything beyond what they are doing now would just be overkill.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #44
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Racial diversity in the NHL and other sports (moved posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Hey I just looked and the Bruins are in first place in their division. We just sucked for so long that I'm surprised. Who's really good on the Bruins? Do we have anyone scary good or is it more of a balanced team?

Hey...only 4/24 players on the Bruins are American. Maybe before we start talking about visual diversity we need to get some Americans in the first place. lol It is an American league.
They take the players that are drafted into the league. Canadian players are just, overall, the best at the game. It might be an "American" league, but it's still dominated by Canada and it's players. I (and many others) think it's a travesty that so many southern teams with 'wishy-washy' fan bases are allowed to have teams in favor of Canadian cities. (Phoenix over Hamilton, 2 teams in Florida and not one in Winnipeg, Atlanta over Quebec City...etc, etc.).

For example...how would you feel if all the sudden, the NFL started moving teams (with good solid fanbases) to Canada or overseas? And kept them there despite struggling fanbases? That's what the NHL did.

Bruins have been doing well for quite a few years now. Have been in the playoffs every year since '06 or '07 (at least). Tim Thomas is the top goalie in the league at the moment (again), and is making a run for another Vezina trophy.

Zdeno Chara (the Captain) certainly has a big personality (to go with his 6'9" / 255 stature)...and is a huge threat on the powerplay. Not my favorite player though...he's big, but not the best fighter. It doesn't happen often enough, but I like to see him get his bell rung lol.

Right now Milan Lucic is the top player on the team with 28 points. That is not a lot, per say...but you have to consider the fact that they have 6 players with 20 or more points...they're getting scoring from a lot of different guys and playing very good defensive hockey. Having Thomas playing at the top of his game again never hurts either.

A little touch on the previous post...if you go to the Bruins site, after you scroll down just a notch from the main stories, you see the BruinsTV videos. First ones are about players going holiday shopping for kids in the hospital, a video about fans meeting their favorite players and a Thanksgiving pie delivery. This is typical of each team.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #45
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Field Conditions after Winter Classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
your entitled to your own opinion, but your not entitled to your own facts. why not just admit earlier that you know nothing about nascar , instead of making shit up to try to support your opinion. is that your idea of intellect ? gamble and hope that the other person is even more ignorant about the subject than you are ?
Even though you don't know the difference between "you're" and "your" yet you feel you want to school me on intelligence, you should at least feel rest assured that I did admit I am ignorant about Nascar...but surprise you missed it.

"but I am ignorant about NASCAR no doubt."
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #46
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Racial diversity in the NHL and other sports (moved posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Ummm....what? You don't even pay attention to the sport. How would you know? Were you asleep through all the recent Winter Classic hype or something? Crosby vs. Ovechkin....the whole 4 part HBO special? Do you visit the NHL site (or even the TSN site) and watch all the behind the scenes stuff? You wouldn't know, because I'm 100% sure, you don't look.



Uggghh....I'm sorry, but that's just the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They already have sponsors and big money. You act like the NHL is struggling to gain popularity in the US. They're not....it's just not the most popular sport here (which is fine) and you don't pay attention to it, so you wouldn't know the difference.



Trust me, they do. Do you pay attention to the local media buzz around each team? Do you watch the news videos, highlight videos and in depth stories that they make available to people on each teams NHL site (yes, each team has it's own site with stories and such just like the NFL....some of them are nicer than some teams NFL sites)?

What, you want big cheesy watered down crap shoved down people's throats day in and day out? Just let people enjoy the damn game. It's already over-hyped...anything beyond what they are doing now would just be overkill.
Well...not every team has a Crosby to highlight so I'm sure it is different in Pittsburgh.

In general, the public couldn't tell you squat about NHL and even if they don't watch other sports, they can tell you about the famous players. Now one thing I did do yesterday was look up whether the NHL has been struggling or whether it is just my perception. I found that they've been struggling. Since you think things are booming, for the NHL, we can end that discussion right there.
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #47
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Racial diversity in the NHL and other sports (moved posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
Well...not every team has a Crosby to highlight so I'm sure it is different in Pittsburgh.

In general, the public couldn't tell you squat about NHL and even if they don't watch other sports, they can tell you about the famous players. Now one thing I did do yesterday was look up whether the NHL has been struggling or whether it is just my perception. I found that they've been struggling. Since you think things are booming, for the NHL, we can end that discussion right there.
End that discussion? Without even providing a link or anything? How are they struggling? There are teams that are struggling with attendance (and those are teams in cities, that I previously mentioned, don't deserve an NHL team), but it's still a popular sport in the states regardless. What Bettman needs to do though, is quit putting teams in southern cities and move them to Canada and Europe.

I'd just like to see this information that's all, because besides people being upset about some of these southern teams, I haven't heard anything about "struggles".

For example, this past Winter Classic was the most watched hockey game since '74. Apparently someone is tuning in. .
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #48
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Racial diversity in the NHL and other sports (moved posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
They take the players that are drafted into the league. Canadian players are just, overall, the best at the game. It might be an "American" league, but it's still dominated by Canada and it's players. I (and many others) think it's a travesty that so many southern teams with 'wishy-washy' fan bases are allowed to have teams in favor of Canadian cities. (Phoenix over Hamilton, 2 teams in Florida and not one in Winnipeg, Atlanta over Quebec City...etc, etc.).

For example...how would you feel if all the sudden, the NFL started moving teams (with good solid fanbases) to Canada or overseas? And kept them there despite struggling fanbases? That's what the NHL did.

Bruins have been doing well for quite a few years now. Have been in the playoffs every year since '06 or '07 (at least). Tim Thomas is the top goalie in the league at the moment (again), and is making a run for another Vezina trophy.

Zdeno Chara (the Captain) certainly has a big personality (to go with his 6'9" / 255 stature)...and is a huge threat on the powerplay. Not my favorite player though...he's big, but not the best fighter. It doesn't happen often enough, but I like to see him get his bell rung lol.

Right now Milan Lucic is the top player on the team with 28 points. That is not a lot, per say...but you have to consider the fact that they have 6 players with 20 or more points...they're getting scoring from a lot of different guys and playing very good defensive hockey. Having Thomas playing at the top of his game again never hurts either.

A little touch on the previous post...if you go to the Bruins site, after you scroll down just a notch from the main stories, you see the BruinsTV videos. First ones are about players going holiday shopping for kids in the hospital, a video about fans meeting their favorite players and a Thanksgiving pie delivery. This is typical of each team.
Thanks for the Bruins update. I was on the NHL site yesterday and noticing that Tim Thomas...nice.

I couldn't really find any scorers to latch onto though. That Lucic is 29th in goals but since there is not much separating many if he had 3 more goals he could move up to 9th.

IDK. I could be fun. I'd enjoy it more if we had a good scorer.

BTW, I don't live in New England now and I bet you if I went around most people couldn't name a single Hockey player for the local team. On the news, they don't emphasize specific players. Meanwhile people that don't watch NBA, NFL or baseball could name you some local players.

You have a biased view from Pitt. I even knew about Crosby before he entered the league so obviously they did a good job marketing him. At the same time, you seem to know your stuff so you are no casual fan. lol

When playoffs come next year, I will try to watch.
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #49
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Racial diversity in the NHL and other sports (moved posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
End that discussion? Without even providing a link or anything? How are they struggling? There are teams that are struggling with attendance (and those are teams in cities, that I previously mentioned, don't deserve an NHL team), but it's still a popular sport in the states regardless. What Bettman needs to do though, is quit putting teams in southern cities and move them to Canada and Europe.

I'd just like to see this information that's all, because besides people being upset about some of these southern teams, I haven't heard anything about "struggles".

For example, this past Winter Classic was the most watched hockey game since '74. Apparently someone is tuning in. .
I can't remember the exact Google terms I used but I did do a lot of reading. I think at the time I was focused on checking out TV performance since you were talking about filling the stands. Honestly I don't feel like putting my time into looking it up again.

Set aside the recent winter classic and I'm sure you will find TV performance is poor for the NHL.
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #50
SteelKnight
Team President
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,256
Member Number: 16119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Racial diversity in the NHL and other sports (moved posts)

SC, the other thing is the reason we can't see eye to eye on this might have something to do with local influences. In my area, NHL is not very popular at all ...period (not even for the Winter Classic...I checked). I also bet you if I looked up the major sports nationally, NHL would be the lowest in popularity. Obviously there are different cultures in different cities/towns. Remember I said in Providence we loved even the Providence Bruins. So the country might have pockets of NHL popularity and non popularity with the overall tipping to non.
__________________
SteelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts