Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,136 Times in 919 Posts
Default Question:

Since Drew (now flapping in the...) Brees and Saint Peyton are out of the running, does that mean that when the talking heads start in with their "elite quarterback" bullshit, they'll finally start to include Ben in the conversation?

You know Ben, right?

He's the one that has as many Super Bowl rings as BOTH Brees and Manning have combined.

Yeah, that guy.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Re: Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Since Drew (now flapping in the...) Brees and Saint Peyton are out of the running, does that mean that when the talking heads start in with their "elite quarterback" bullshit, they'll finally start to include Ben in the conversation?

You know Ben, right?

He's the one that has as many Super Bowl rings as BOTH Brees and Manning have combined.

Yeah, that guy.
Actually some sites such as Cold Hard Football Facts already do consider him an elite QB.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Actually some sites such as Cold Hard Football Facts already do consider him an elite QB.
Sadly and inexplicably, some Steeler fans still don't.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Both lost because of their Defenses... If we give up 30 plus to either of those teams we lose too.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,738 Times in 4,695 Posts
My Mood: Tired

now the talking heads will have more time to devote to Brady.

and also now Hasselback will enter back into the conversations. He has been to one superbowl before, and now he orchestrated one of the biggest upsets in playoff history.

Roethlisberger does get a lot of credit, but there are so many doubters outside of steeler nation, that I think he won't really get the recognition he deserves until the end of his career.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:

You know Ben, right?

Yeah, that guy.
Marino has no SB ring but I'd classify him as an elite QB before Ben and I think the majority of the public would do the same. Ben should be included in the conversation and I think he is. People just don't drool when they hear his name, that's different.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,136 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Marino has no SB ring but I'd classify him as an elite QB before Ben and I think the majority of the public would do the same. Ben should be included in the conversation and I think he is. People just don't drool when they hear his name, that's different.

All I'm asking is that when the "elite" conversation comes up as it just did less than 24 hrs. ago and the ESPN crew trots out their "comparisons", they always use Manning, Brady and Brees for those comparisons.

The sad part is that only Brady really fills that "elite" title when it comes to hardware and in terms of that hardware, Ben is second to Brady and ahead of EVERYONE ELSE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

So if guys like Kornheiser are going to compare Aaron Rodgers to "other elite quarterbacks" -- especially in the context of these playoffs, then Ben simply has to be in that conversation.

Nobody's asking anyone to drool over Ben, but it would be nice to acknowledge that he at least has a pulse or that he actually plays the game. I know he doesn't have the gaudy numbers, but he's got two rings and that should count for something.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
All I'm asking is that when the "elite" conversation comes up as it just did less than 24 hrs. ago and the ESPN crew trots out their "comparisons", they always use Manning, Brady and Brees for those comparisons.

The sad part is that only Brady really fills that "elite" title when it comes to hardware and in terms of that hardware, Ben is second to Brady and ahead of EVERYONE ELSE IN THE PLAYOFFS.

So if guys like Kornheiser are going to compare Aaron Rodgers to "other elite quarterbacks" -- especially in the context of these playoffs, then Ben simply has to be in that conversation.

Nobody's asking anyone to drool over Ben, but it would be nice to acknowledge that he at least has a pulse or that he actually plays the game. I know he doesn't have the gaudy numbers, but he's got two rings and that should count for something.
Oh I misunderstood what you were saying. I wasn't thinking of talking heads in the context of this year's playoffs. Of course, Ben should be included and I think he is, but not as much as Brees, Manning and Brady.

Keep in mind that when experts talk about Indy or New Orleans, they mostly talk about Manning and Brees because there are clearly their leaders. I don't think Ben is viewed as the leader of the Steelers and frankly, I don't think he is. I'm talking about personality here. Other players (Ward, Polamalu, Harrison) have more "charisma" than Ben and they are more popular with the journalists.
Another reason is the Steelers can (and did) win more games without Ben than Indy or New Orleans without Manning and Brees.

Last but not least, Ben's popularity has taken a very big hit due to his off the field antics and TV commentators are also concerned about their audience (and rating) and what the ublic think of the players as individuals. They don't talk much about Vick either because he's widely unpopular nationwide due to his past. Have you seen TV commercials with Ben and Vick?

Brady is in a category on his own and he has the numbers to back it up.

As for Rodgers, that's a mystery to me because the guy hasn't won anything yet, and he has no charisma whatsoever.

Last edited by plenewken; 01-09-2011 at 01:03 PM.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote