Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Behind Enemy Lines: Steelers have a tough assignment Beat Ravens, again

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,6709049.story
baltimoresun.com
Behind Enemy Lines: Steelers have a tough assignment Beat Ravens, again

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

8:14 PM EST, January 9, 2011

You know what they say about being careful about what you wish?

It has me worried this morning.

"It's got to be Baltimore," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward was saying Sunday. "I've had a feeling it was going to be Baltimore all along. I wouldn't want it any other way. It's going to be some football game."

For those of us watching, sure. There's nothing better in the NFL than Ravens-Steelers, especially at Heinz Field in the playoffs. I'm already counting down minutes until 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

But are the Ravens the best divisional round matchup for the Steelers? Hardly. Going into the weekend, the Steelers knew they would play the Ravens, Kansas City Chiefs or Indianapolis Colts. They ended up with the toughest assignment, by far. To get to the Super Bowl, they have to beat the Ravens and then almost certainly the Patriots in New England Jan. 23 in the AFC championship game. I can think of easier paths.

One would have had the Chiefs coming here Saturday. The Steelers would have done to them what the Ravens did Sunday in Kansas City: Whoop 'em good. The Ravens' defense swarmed quarterback Matt Cassel, who was making his first playoff start, and forced five turnovers. The Chiefs managed just 25 yards of offense in the second half. NFL postseason games are seldom that one-sided.

An even better route for the Steelers would have had the Colts as the opponent Saturday. That scenario was ruined when the New York Jets came back to beat the Colts, 17-16, Saturday night with a field goal as time expired. That's the real shame of the weekend. Colts quarterback Peyton Manning doesn't cause the fear he once did, especially not without injured tight end Dallas Clark. The Steelers' defense would have stopped him. And, really, wouldn't you have preferred to see the Ravens go to New England Sunday and beat up the Patriots a bit? Maybe even beat them, period? Crazy? I don't think so. The Ravens went to Foxborough, Mass., a year ago and handed Patriots coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady their first playoff loss at home, 33-14, after eight consecutive wins.

Who knows? Maybe the Jets will upset the Patriots and make it to the AFC championship game in Pittsburgh, should the Steelers play host to it. I don't see it, though. Not after the Patriots beat the Jets, 45-3, Dec. 6 at Gillette Stadium.

No, the Steelers are going to have to do it the hard way.

The Ravens will come to Heinz Field with a lot of confidence after winning here, 17-14, Oct. 3. Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger didn't play that game because of his suspension, but neither did Ravens safety Ed Reed because of a hip injury. The Ravens also thought they were the better team when the Steelers won in Baltimore, 13-10, Dec. 5 when Steelers safety Troy Polamalu made the big play late, sacking quarterback Joe Flacco and forcing a fumble. Ravens tight end Todd Heap pulled a hamstring on the first play and missed the rest of the game. He had 10 catches for 108 yards Sunday against the Chiefs.

All of that doesn't mean the Steelers can't beat the Ravens. They most certainly can. They will be the much fresher team, having the weekend off and catching the Ravens after they have a short week. They are playing at home. And they will have the big edge at quarterback this time. I know Flacco had a huge game against the Chiefs 25 of 34 for 265 yards and two touchdown passes but I'll still take Roethlisberger, who is 8-2 against the Ravens.

The Steelers also will be a confident bunch.

"I like everything about this team," safety Ryan Clark said. "We had a problem with penalties earlier in the season and we've kind of quieted that down. The special teams did a nice job bouncing back after [giving up a 97-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in a home loss Dec. 19 against the Jets]. The defense is making a few more plays, here and there. And the offense is putting the ball in the end zone. That's huge."

As Roethlisberger put it, "I think we are getting hot at the right time."

Ward is counting down minutes to Saturday, as well.

"The Steelers and Ravens That's the way it's supposed to be."

I've got no complaints.

Well, one.

Too bad it's not Ravens-Steelers in the AFC championship game.

Copyright 2011, The Baltimore Sun
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,995 Times in 903 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Behind Enemy Lines: Steelers have a tough assignment Beat Ravens, again

Quote:
I'm already counting down minutes until 4:30 p.m. Saturday
you and me both brother
you and me both
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,131 Times in 2,630 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Behind Enemy Lines: Steelers have a tough assignment Beat Ravens, again

our team is getting healthy at the right time. the ravens better bring their A game or they're going to get embarassed
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
NEWstevo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15010

Remember the 70's? The Steelers-Raiders? You cannot beat the same team everytime in the playoffs. The Steelers have owned the Ravens in the post season for the last decade. The Ravens are due and it scares me.

But, the same can be said about the Steelers-Patriots. So what do I know.
NEWstevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

We beat the Raiders three times in the 70s.
saveus1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveus1011 View Post
We beat the Raiders three times in the 70s.
Without looking...No way we could have beaten or played the Raiders 3x in one year. They were not in our division.

The Oilers, Browns, Bengals, Titans, Jaguars,Ravens are the only teams this could have or did happen.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #7
davidtrout
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17600

Wow! The 70s was a decade long. Nowhere did he say 3 times in one year.

The Titans, Jaguars, and Ravens did not exist then.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

I'm saying we beat them three times over the course of a couple of years. I said the 70s, not specifically 1972 or 1975 or 1976.
saveus1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWstevo View Post
Remember the 70's? The Steelers-Raiders? You cannot beat the same team everytime in the playoffs. The Steelers have owned the Ravens in the post season for the last decade. The Ravens are due and it scares me.

But, the same can be said about the Steelers-Patriots. So what do I know.
The Browns faced John Elway and the Broncos three times in four years back in the 80's, and lost all three times. The Steelers have faced the Colts five seperate times in the playoffs, and won all five times.

No one is "due" anything. You either beat a team or you don't.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Why is that seemingly every article that speaks about the 1st ravens game, they want to point out that just as the Steekers were without Ben, the ravens were without reed? There simply is no comparison between losing your starting qb and losing your starting safety. IMO.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote