Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cardinals may miss out on Steelers assistant Butler

Cardinals may miss out on Steelers assistant Butler

4 comments by Kent Somers - Jan. 10, 2011 04:14 PM
The Arizona Republic

Coach Ken Whisenhunt would like to interview Pittsburgh Steelers assistant Keith Butler for the Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator's job, but Whisenhunt might not get that chance if the Steelers advance far into the playoffs.

Butler, Pittsburgh's linebackers coach, cannot be interviewed until the Steelers are eliminated from the playoffs. Pittsburgh hosts Baltimore on Saturday.

The Steelers also would have to grant Whisenhunt permission to interview Butler, which they denied in 2007 when both teams were undergoing a coaching change.

More of a roadblack may be a clause in his contract that prevents him from interviewing for the Cardinals defensive coordinator's job, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on Monday.

After the 2009 season, Butler turned down an offer to become the Dolphins' defensive coordinator. According to the Post-Gazette, Butler and the Steelers agreed then to contract language that identifies Butler as "the coordinator in waiting" for when Dick LeBeau decides to retire. (Excellent news. Not that I want to Papa LeBeau retire but knowing we have a experienced coordinator behind him is reassuring. Imagine if the Rooney's had not done this. We might have ended up with, horror of horrors, the a defensive coordinator version of the Airhead. - mesa)

Whisenhunt is expected to interview at least two unnamed candidates this week to replace Bill Davis, who was fired last week. Whisenhunt might not be able to wait for Butler's situation to be resolved because candidates would not want to pass on other opportunities in the meantime.

If the coordinator's job is open when Butler becomes available, Whisenhunt should be able to move quickly. Whisenhunt was on the Browns' staff with Butler in 1999 and again for four seasons with the Steelers under coach Bill Cowher. Whisenhunt and Butler are close friends. (No Whizie you can't have him. Develop your own talent and stop poaching ours! Not that it matters since we will take the SuperBowl this year. - mesa)

A new coordinator likely would have some influence on the makeup of the remainder of the defensive staff, although the final decision would be Whisenhunt's.

Butler, 52, is in his eighth season on the Steelers' staff and is credited with developing several Pro Bowl linebackers, including James Farrior, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

Butler, a linebacker at Memphis, was drafted by Seattle in the second round 1978 and played 10 seasons for the Seahawks He coached nine years at the college level before taking the job with the Browns.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/card...#ixzz1Agdtsylc

(I love how this idiot Turdnail beat writer assumes that Butler would want to move from working one of the best owners and best run teams to one of the worst owners and worst run teams in the league. Friendship only goes so far and why would Butler want to join a Whizze who get himself fired yet. Turdnials, their fans, and their writers are idiots! - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Default Re: Cardinals may miss out on Steelers assistant Butler

The Rooneys are full of class and job stability. Thats what makes us so successful. No coach would want to leave here (not even BA to our demise) but every coach wants to work here.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,313 Times in 1,415 Posts

i wonder how the steelers have been able to hold on to john mitchell for 16 years ?
now he's a guy that doesn't get near the recognition he deserves.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
ncsteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 17348

If I was a Cardinals I would be getting real tired of Whiz trying to recreate the 2005 Steelers and constantly failing. Move on get your own ideas. Anyhow, he was a fool for not trying to jump on Wade Phillips.
ncsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
wnyBob
Water Boy

Member Number: 17493

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Cardinals may miss out on Steelers assistant Butler

(Excellent news. Not that I want to Papa LeBeau retire but knowing we have a experienced coordinator behind him is reassuring. Imagine if the Rooney's had not done this. We might have ended up with, horror of horrors, the a defensive coordinator version of the Airhead. - mesa)
lol Well just think if we had a BA offense and a BA defense we'd be ranking right there with the NFL elete like Buffalo and getting a lot of very high round draft picks year after year. Someone needs to be chasing them for the exercise in futility award, it could be us. lol OK slap slap, I'm waking from my nightmare now.
wnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Butler won't take it, because it could be clouded in uncertainty even if he would get to talk to them (i would think).
My guess is he'll wait LeBeau out.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

But if he does want it we should let him go!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i wonder how the steelers have been able to hold on to john mitchell for 16 years ?
now he's a guy that doesn't get near the recognition he deserves.
I suspect Mitchell has found his home and doesn't aspire to be a coordinator or head coach. From the articles I've read over the years, he seems to really enjoy his current job with his current employer ... why would you change that?
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,910 Times in 867 Posts
My Mood: Cool

i hope he stays
but yea if he wants
to go we should let him go
hes earned that
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote