Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default View from Baltimore: Having never beaten Steelers in the playoffs, Baltimore is ready

View from Baltimore: Having never beaten Steelers in the playoffs, Baltimore is ready
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
By Jamison Hensley, The Baltimore Sun
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11011/1117014-66.stm

BALTIMORE

A trip to the AFC championship game and a shot at redemption await the Ravens in Saturday's divisional playoff game at Heinz Field.

Everyone in the Ravens locker room knows the reason they have to play at Heinz Field is because they failed to finish off their biggest rival 36 days ago.

The Ravens have since won five consecutive games -- which is currently the second-longest winning streak in the NFL -- but the players are carrying that loss with them along with a suddenly hot quarterback and an even hotter defense.

"I think it's going to be World War III," Ravens safety Dawan Landry said. "The last one left a bad taste in our mouth."

Whether it's having a first-round bye ripped from them or a championship dream squashed, Pittsburgh has become a frustrating roadblock for the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs.

The Ravens' Super Bowl title defense came to an end at Pittsburgh in the divisional playoffs in January 2002. Their championship run in coach John Harbaugh's first season was stopped by the Steelers in the AFC championship game in January 2009.

Still, the Ravens are embracing the challenge ahead.

The Ravens are currently 31/2-point underdogs, and that should be expected.

Five of the past six regular-season games between the Ravens and Steelers have been decided by three points, including both meetings this season.

"We know what [the Steelers are] all about, and it's going to be a tough game, but we're very confident about going there and playing against them," cornerback Chris Carr said. "And I'm sure they're very confident as well. Every single time we play them, it doesn't matter how good you play, it always seems like the game ends up being close. So hopefully, we can come in there and have a little better effort than we did in the second game."

That confidence should be brimming after the Ravens' 30-7 dismantling of the Kansas City Chiefs in Sunday's wild-card game.

The defense tied a playoff team record with five turnovers, and quarterback Joe Flacco tied an NFL record with his fourth playoff road win as a starter by putting together his most impressive postseason performance.

Four reasons the wild-card game offers hope of beating the Steelers:

Joe Flacco's play against the blitz. Flacco had perhaps his best showing in the pocket, from stepping up to make a throw to shrugging off a defender to scrambling for extra yards. He was nearly perfect against the Chiefs' pressure, completing 4 of 5 passes for 58 yards when Kansas City blitzed a defensive back. The Chiefs' secondary blitz had held teams to the lowest completion rate in the NFL this season, according to ESPN.

Opening up the passing game. Flacco's comfort zone has always seemed to be throwing the ball to Derrick Mason on the outside and finding Ray Rice underneath the coverage. In the wild-card game, Flacco controlled the middle of the field, completing 18 of 21 passes with two touchdowns in between the field numbers. Tight end Todd Heap and wide receiver Anquan Boldin resurfaced in a passing game that will need to carry the Ravens against the NFL's top-ranked run defense.

Creating turnovers. Causing a handful of turnovers in the playoffs is always impressive. But the Ravens defense forced these mistakes out of a Chiefs team that had the second-fewest giveaways in the NFL.

Discovering their finishing touch. The Ravens have struggled all season to put teams away early, losing nine leads in the fourth quarter. But they owned the fourth quarter in Sunday's wild-card game, controlling the ball for all but 68 seconds. The Ravens need to carry that same mentality into Pittsburgh, especially when you consider that both meetings have come down to plays late in the fourth quarter.

Jamison Hensley writes for The Baltimore Sun.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11011...#ixzz1AjChKUe4
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251
Default Re: View from Baltimore: Having never beaten Steelers in the playoffs, Baltimore is r

and the ravens still suck!!!!
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: View from Baltimore: Having never beaten Steelers in the playoffs, Baltimore is r

i bet they are ready. Hopefully the rest we had will be to our advantage. I can see Tomlin right now at the facilities barking orders like this:
"Hang on to the ball...DON'T lose it"
"Don't even dare to push or smack somebody after a play and cost us 15 yards or you'll answer to me..."
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,491 Times in 666 Posts

You know, if you start thinking about stuff like this you'll drive yourself crazy.

Try looking at it this way: The Ravens are on a five-game winning streak and streaks are hard to keep going.

Whatever happens --- happens and that's all there is to it. We have all the tools and the talent to kick Baltimore's ass and there's no reason on this earth to believe that we won't do that. Baltimore has peaked but we're still peaking and if we can get the offense going (like I think we will) we have the potential to put this thing to bed in the first half. If Ben & Co. can get some quick scores, and we get up by two or more possessions, Baltimore is NOT a team that can rack up points at will -- especially against a defense like ours.

There's two ways to look at this: We can sit here wringing our hands hoping for this or hoping for that, or we can simply stand up and say that we're the best team in the league and we're going to beat the crap out of anyone we face.

Since none of us has any control over the outcome, I see no reason on this earth to think that we're going to lose until proven otherwise.

So what's it gonna be?

Are we going to worry like a bunch of washwomen?

Or are we just going to stick our fists in the air and stand by our team?

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
bobby jr
Banned

Member Number: 15696

I don't see two playoff losses over 10 years as a history of losing in the playoffs to the Steelers.
I expect the Ravens record to be 1-2 after Saturday, 1 game below .500.
The Ravens have the mo, big time, after the KC game, while the Steelers may be stale for sitting for two weeks after their best game of the year. You don't want to sit after a game like that one.
bobby jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
billym99
Water Boy

Member Number: 11477

Bobby,

You've posted in about 20 threads that the Ravens have all the momentum after a mind blowing, franchise defining victory against the Juggernaut Chiefs. We also know, from the same posts mind you, that the Steelers are complete and udder fools for not tanking it against Cleveland and giving up the first round bye because they will be flat footed on Saturday.

Anyways, I think we've all gotten it by now. I know the Ravens victory on Saturday defines what a blowout is, I know that 102% of people in Baltimore are wearing purple and are amped up for the game (even though I'm looking out my office window as I type this and see no purple), I know that Flacco has gotten the playoff monkey off of his back and is now near unbeatable.

There you go, I saved you typing this 20 more times BECAUSE WE KNOW!

Cheers!

Billy M.
billym99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Booby,

Just root for your team and quit bugging us with your "scientific" justifications. See Seattle saturday.

The intangibles (bye week, history, momentum, home field etc...) are not a factor at this level of game. NFL players are professional athletes and they prepare well. It's gonna be execution vs execution and as usual the game will be decided by a couple of big plays, either offensively, defensively or special teams.

I just hope that it won't be decided by a blown call or a key injury.

GO STEELERS.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

Ahh, Booby is back to talk all the moronic BS which has endeared him to this message board. I look forward to seeing him disappear after the Ratbirds lose again, only to resurface next season blabbing about how they are the superior team and they should be the defending champs instead of the Steelers.
Rotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,529 Times in 3,968 Posts

bobby, you suck. we dont care what you see.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
bobby, you suck. we dont care what you see.
But, but, but, Tony....they have the mo.

If you've read one of Booby's posts, you've read them all....literally.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote