Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Your worst pick...why you are glad...

Two things I will say, I was extremely happy when the Steelers had Ben fall into their lap.

And outside of that the happiest I ever was on draft day was in 1989 when the Steelers had two first round picks. I couldn't have been happier when they got Tim Worley and Tom Ricketts. Shows what little I know, and why I no longer take myself too seriously as a draft nick.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
What is your worst Steelers draft wish tat makes you so glad you are not part of the Steelers front office.

Be honest. Give us your worst!

Mine is Dwayne Jarrett. I just wanted a big receiver and he looked so good in college. Early in the draft I wondered if he would be gone by our pick then later I was hoping we'd trade down to get him. Instead we ended up with that loser Timmons. I was disappointed when he was taken right before our 2nd pick because I wanted him there too but instead we got that bum Lamaar Woodley.

Jarret has sucked, unable to create separation and as had 2 DUIs. He was released.

I'm glad I don't work for the FO. lol

What's your worst desire that turned out to be a bust and much worse than who the Steelers really chose?
I know the feeling about Jarrett. I remember feeling the same way. I was so pissed that Carolina took him right before us. There's no garuntee the Steelers would have taken him, but I had my self convinced that they would.

I think they took Woodley. Not bad.

Another one for me was that Hardy guy who played for Indiana. He was drafted by the Bills. Like most Bills, he's been essentially a royal bust. I had myself convinced that he was going to be the next Chris Carter.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
I know the feeling about Jarrett. I remember feeling the same way. I was so pissed that Carolina took him right before us. There's no garuntee the Steelers would have taken him, but I had my self convinced that they would.

Another one for me was that Hardy guy who played for Indiana. He was drafted by the Bills. Like most Bills, he's been essentially a royal bust. I had myself convinced that he was going to be the next Chris Carter.
i was pretty high on james hardy myself , i still think he might be able to salvage his career on another team with a better qb.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Tons of them, haha.

After watching that PUKE of a secondary during the Tim Lewis years in 2003, I wanted us to take corner-back Dunta Robinson with our first pick of the 2004 NFL Draft with our 11th pick! Robinson went at number 10 to the Texans, and Roethlisberger was our man at # 11. The rest is history. As soon as Ben was picked, I was instantly happy for our future!

Last year though, I really would of loved to pick Toby Gerhardt with our second round pick to compliment Mendy. I fell in love with Gerhardt since he had that Bettis type style of runner and had Pittsburgh written all over him. We took Worlids, who should pan out in the long run for us!
I can't blame you. I was feeling pretty comfortable with Maddox at the time. I was a little surprised by the Ben pick.

I see missing Ben would have been a bad FO move but Robinson and Gerhardt are probably not bad players. Did you feed into the hype of any players that turned out to be busts?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by finesward View Post
In the spirit of this week I'm gonna go with Sergio Kindle, the 11th pick in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft by the Ratturds.

Lets see... he broke his skull, has 2 dui's, and has yet to put on pads.
Did you want him with our first pick? Are you guys giving me real stories? lol I want real stories of players you wanted that turned out to be busts.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post

I also wanted us to take Kyle Wilson (CB) over Pouncey, obviously Pouncey worked out for the best there, although I do think if Starks and Colon hadn't been injured that said CB might be making a larger impact to the team currently thna Pouncey would have been...
Me too. I was in the Kyle Wilson camp ALL THE WAY and I was disappointed when the team chose Pouncey. I thought they were just giving in to the pressure of the fans. I so much disliked Gay that I wanted him cut. I didn't know about the McFadden trade upcoming obviously so i was worried when the Jets took Wilson. I was thinking "Greedy bastards!". I was still holding out hope that the Steelers could trade up to get him.

I was way wrong about Pouncey.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #17
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
not bad ones but i was really pissed that they passed on mangold for holmes. i also didn't want timmons , i wanted them to trade down to the mid 20's and pick ben grubbs or justin blaylock., and get an extra 2nd rd pick...
You guys are all wusses. Nobody is giving bad names. Some of you must have messed up on some guesses.

Daunta Robinson, Toby Gerehardt, Alex Mack, Mangold, Grubs, Blaylock, ...where are the busts?

I guess yours counts because without Holmes, we would not have won a Superbowl...lol
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Two things I will say, I was extremely happy when the Steelers had Ben fall into their lap.

And outside of that the happiest I ever was on draft day was in 1989 when the Steelers had two first round picks. I couldn't have been happier when they got Tim Worley and Tom Ricketts. Shows what little I know, and why I no longer take myself too seriously as a draft nick.
My favorite draft of all time was when we got Plax in 2000. I had been wishing for a big receiver EVERY year and he was who I coveted. I was nervous reading the draft rumor mill and there were some rumors that Phily might grab him. It was also clear that the Ravens needed a WR and that was a possiblity. There were some late rumors that we wanted Chad Pennington. When they announced it, I felt like I had won the lottery.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #19
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post

God was teasing me that draft because I wouldn't have minded taking Revis then the Jets took him right before us. About Timmons I was annoyed because it had turned out he was only 6'1 (almost) instead of 6'3 like he was listed before the combine. lol

Then I wanted Jarrett and Carolina took him right before us. About Woodly, i felt we had already taken an OLB with our first pick.

Woodley was a popular 2nd pick on the board I was on and while I thought he would be good, I wanted to be different so I picked Quentin Moses as my second pick.
I gambled on Moses and Michael Bush.

So my list was something like:
Jarret, Moses, Bush, etc. etc. Gosh I suck...lol I also thought "Poz" was overrated and wouldn't be that good in the pros. lol I was wrong. He is pretty good in Buffalo.

Most people on the board I was on wanted Adam Carriker (who was supposed to be the next Aaron Smith) but Poz was probably a close second.

I had Jason hill on my list and the 49ers took him right before our 3rd pick and I was perplexed by the Spaeth pick.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #20
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i was pretty high on james hardy myself , i still think he might be able to salvage his career on another team with a better qb.
I'm pretty high on any big receiver. Going into the 2008 draft, Sweed was my favorite player. Imagine my excitement when we got him in round 2. I was upset when the Redskins took 2 WR so I thought he was gong to get taken right before us like in 07. Wen they announced Sweed i was so so excited.