Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Dilfer: Flag could determine Ravens-Steelers game

Dilfer: Flag could determine Ravens-Steelers game
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...lers_game.html

As a Super Bowl-winning quarterback with the Ravens, ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer has a first-hand appreciation for the team's rivalry with Pittsburgh as well as the physical nature of both teams. This week he speculated that physicality could have a big effect on the game.

"This game has all the elements to it, drama because itís a divisional game, big personalities and the big, sloppy element of old-school football," Dilfer said. "What scares me the most of this game are two teams that are built on their physicality. Ö Iím scared that this game is so evenly matched, it usually comes down to the last possession, a field goal is going to be dictated by a yellow flagÖIím hoping that a flag doesnít dictate the outcome of this game, but my gut tells me it will.Ē

If that's the case, consider this: The Ravens were penalized few times for much less yardage than the Steelers this season.

The Ravens incurred 90 penalties through the regular season for 673 yards. The Steelers had 100 violations for 903 yards.

(After Airhead's game plan this is the second thing I worry about the most particularly since Goodell hates us. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,138 Times in 2,641 Posts
Default Re: Dilfer: Flag could determine Ravens-Steelers game

i see trent is already making excuses for his ravens loss.

the good news is the refs let the teams play in the first round.

all 8 teams were penalized less than their season average.

2 if not 3 teams only drew 2 flags.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i see trent is already making excuses for his ravens loss.

the good news is the refs let the teams play in the first round.

all 8 teams were penalized less than their season average.

2 if not 3 teams only drew 2 flags.
Hope you are right but that still leaves Airhead's game plan to worry about.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
RavensFan20
Water Boy

Member Number: 17673

I want to see the refs let the players play but this past year in all sports there were times when the refs made calls that effected the outcome of the games. Look at the MLB Playoffs, there were a few matches in the World Cup where the ref made a call that effected the game. That is why Dilfer is bringing this up.

I expect the refs to allow most of the pushing and shoving but if it gets out of hand or is one sided i expect a flag. I also dont want to see any flags in the last two min of the game unless they are blatent fouls that need to be called.

So let the two teams play and only throw the flag if it is a blatent call, this is the playoffs.
RavensFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Do we really want the ref's to "let em play"? Like the Jets game this year? I can picture sanders getting his jersey half way ripped off then bear hugged in the end zone...

If they call a fair and consistent game I will be happy. The playoff loss to jacksonville comes to mind. Remember the scramble that won the game where james and polamalu were being held? I really don't want it to come to that again. They need to watch Oher early and flag him immediately if he starts his false starts to keep him in check, same with holding on harrison. A few flags early will only benefit the players on both sides to not try and get over on the refs. I'd rather they come early than late in the game. Again consistency is key. I don't want either side bitching about the ref's after this game.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,485 Times in 2,331 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

dilfer can shove that yellow flag up his ass
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
pitt0wns
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15034

Remember the Steelers are in the hole atleast 10pts every game due to bad calls
pitt0wns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Ravens Den
Banned

Member Number: 17656

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Dilfer: Flag could determine Ravens-Steelers game
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...lers_game.html

As a Super Bowl-winning quarterback with the Ravens, ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer has a first-hand appreciation for the team's rivalry with Pittsburgh as well as the physical nature of both teams. This week he speculated that physicality could have a big effect on the game.

"This game has all the elements to it, drama because itís a divisional game, big personalities and the big, sloppy element of old-school football," Dilfer said. "What scares me the most of this game are two teams that are built on their physicality. Ö Iím scared that this game is so evenly matched, it usually comes down to the last possession, a field goal is going to be dictated by a yellow flagÖIím hoping that a flag doesnít dictate the outcome of this game, but my gut tells me it will.Ē

If that's the case, consider this: The Ravens were penalized few times for much less yardage than the Steelers this season.

The Ravens incurred 90 penalties through the regular season for 673 yards. The Steelers had 100 violations for 903 yards.

(After Airhead's game plan this is the second thing I worry about the most particularly since Goodell hates us. - mesa)

Dont act like Goodell singles you out or the refs, there were plenty of games that went the STEELERS way because of the refs. If JAMES HARR. would of just kept his mouth shut , GOODELL would have never been watching him like a hawk, its his own fault, BUT this little
(im being sarcastic saying LITTLE) Helmet to Helmet fining b.sht that was announced mid season was just the worse thing that could have happenned. I can understand what they are trying to do , but if your going to change the RULES MID SEASON that is that big and game changing, there are going to be serious problems and complaints. What would have been the very best thing to do (sometimes not because the fine comes a week later which is a whole other story) was address this issue during the off season so teams,coaches and refs can prepare for it. This rule change came out of no where and i dont like the idea of ONE MAN judging whats right and whats wrong, whats a legal hit and whats not. ITS TOTAL DICTATORSHIP and should absolutely have a committee that votes or discuss the hits and fines.
Ravens Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Ravens Den
Banned

Member Number: 17656

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt0wns View Post
Remember the Steelers are in the hole atleast 10pts every game due to bad calls
Every team gets screwed now and again, so dont act like the STEELERS are being singled out.

From my understanding the OFFICALS that are calling the game are pretty fair, thats all i want is a fair game. NO BULLSHT CALLS ON EITHER SIDES. THATS ALL I WANT.
Ravens Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens Den View Post
Dont act like Goodell singles you out or the refs, there were plenty of games that went the STEELERS way because of the refs. If JAMES HARR. would of just kept his mouth shut , GOODELL would have never been watching him like a hawk, its his own fault, BUT this little
(im being sarcastic saying LITTLE) Helmet to Helmet fining b.sht that was announced mid season was just the worse thing that could have happenned. I can understand what they are trying to do , but if your going to change the RULES MID SEASON that is that big and game changing, there are going to be serious problems and complaints. What would have been the very best thing to do (sometimes not because the fine comes a week later which is a whole other story) was address this issue during the off season so teams,coaches and refs can prepare for it. This rule change came out of no where and i dont like the idea of ONE MAN judging whats right and whats wrong, whats a legal hit and whats not. ITS TOTAL DICTATORSHIP and should absolutely have a committee that votes or discuss the hits and fines.
This coming from a fan base and team that cries 95% of the time when the Ravens lose about how the refs "screwed them". HAHAHAHAHAHA! You are about the dumbest troll I have ever seen on a message board in my life, and trust me... that's REALLY saying something. Your last name isn't Lumber by any chance is it?

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote