Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default How we drafted Troy P

In the thread about our worst draft mistakes I commented that I was ticked off that we traded up for Troy. Was I ever wrong. Just for grins I went back and looked at how we got him. I'd forgotten about Dexter Jackson. Since time is passing so slowly I thought I would post it. Admins please feel free to move it if you wish. - mesa

Polamalu was drafted 16th overall in the first round of the 2003 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Polamalu was actually the team's second option at safety, as they had planned on signing Dexter Jackson that offseason. Jackson, the reigning Super Bowl MVP with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, even had a verbal agreement to sign with the Steelers, only for him to back out at the last minute and sign with the Arizona Cardinals instead. (What an idiot but good for us. - mesa) The Steelers then went to "Plan B" and drafted Polamalu instead.

The Chargers, who had the 15th overall pick, had a major need at safety to replace Rodney Harrison but instead chose to go with quantity over quality forgoing the opportunity to select Polamalu by trading down and getting Sammy Davis and Terrence Kiel. The Steelers, ecstatic that Polamalu slid past the Chargers, quickly made a move to bring Polamalu to their team. The Steelers believed so much that Polamalu could have a positive impact on their defense that they traded up from the twenty-seventh spot to the sixteenth spot, originally held by the Chiefs. The Steelers traded away the ninety-second and two hundredth overall pick for the rights to switch first round picks and select Troy Polamalu. Essentially, the trade was Polamalu for Larry Johnson, Julian Battle, and Brooks Bollinger (the Bollinger pick was subsequently traded to the Jets in the same draft). He has the distinction of being the only safety ever drafted by the Steelers in the first round.[2]

In the last game of his college career against Iowa in the Orange Bowl, Polamalu injured his hamstring in pre-game warm-ups and had very limited action in the game that day. Subsequently, the hamstring caused Polamalu to miss the Senior Bowl and 2003 NFL Combine as well.[3] Polamalu was able to perform for scouts at his USC pro day. He was then drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first round and signed a five-year, $8,275,000 contract.

After reading this I am convinced that God is a Steelers fan. - mesa
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Default Re: How we drafted Troy P

God loves Polamalu and the Steelers. He put 2 and 2 together.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I forgot about that hammy injury. It hampered his development his first two seasons. He did not see the field at all in 2003, and only saw limited action in 2004.

I DO remember his breakout game in week 5 of 2005 though--- against the Chargers, my new "hometown team" :-( (j/k-- the Chokers will never be MY hometown team).

The next day, Chargers fans at work were asking non-stop who the heck that "pall-mall" guy was-- he was ALL OVER THE PLACE in that game!! I think that was Brees last game against us as a Charger too.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,175 Times in 2,657 Posts

another related story that landed polamalu in our lap-

i heard this on sirius radio (i think it was an actual interiew with an ex-member of the staff... either way its a first hand story).

the st louis rams had the 12th pick of the draft. pretty much the entire coaching staff and football scouts/people were hellbent on drafting polamalu and he was highest on their board.

ownership/management i.e. the check writers were in love with DT jimmy kennedy from penn state and after much debate they forced the coaches hand.

the rest they say is history. kennedy was a bust, and polamalu is great.

thats why owners own, coaches coach, and players play.

the point of the interview was that the people in the rams front office didnt know shit about scouting talent and were trying to be jerry jones/dan snyder.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Good read. These days moving up from 27 to 16 would probably cost more I'm guessing. 90 and 200 is only worth 143 on the Trade Value Chart whereas the deficit was 320 to go from 27 to 16.

Basically it should have cost us our 1st and second round picks to move up.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
CaliStillersFan
Starter

Member Number: 11604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
another related story that landed polamalu in our lap-

i heard this on sirius radio (i think it was an actual interiew with an ex-member of the staff... either way its a first hand story).

the st louis rams had the 12th pick of the draft. pretty much the entire coaching staff and football scouts/people were hellbent on drafting polamalu and he was highest on their board.

ownership/management i.e. the check writers were in love with DT jimmy kennedy from penn state and after much debate they forced the coaches hand.

the rest they say is history. kennedy was a bust, and polamalu is great.

thats why owners own, coaches coach, and players play.

the point of the interview was that the people in the rams front office didnt know shit about scouting talent and were trying to be jerry jones/dan snyder.
That's pretty sad considering that the Rams management offices are still in LA and Troy played at USC. HAHAHA Thanks fools!!!
CaliStillersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

Great move by Colbert and company.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 AM   #8
rondisco
Water Boy

Member Number: 17556

truth be known, Cowher was actually more fond of safety Mike Doss from Ohio State. the media always had him and Troy neck and neck during their college years, and until USC pro day, most people gave Doss the edge. then Troy had a legendary showing at pro day. Troy kept in touch with Doss until Doss was released from the NFL. i would say that in college, people compared him and Troy like people compare Troy and Ed Reed now. good thing management didn't listen to Cowher, huh. i think Cowher is a believer now.

regarding the orange bowl. to say that he sat out that game because of a pulled hamstring is not exactly true. it is true that he had a pulled hamstring that was nagging him, and it is true that he aggravated it early in the game, but he never would have sat out of his final game for that. what happened next was never released to the press and is actually a point of contention between Troy and the usc coaching staff and trainers. they decided to give Troy a cortisone shot on the sideline (which is not uncommon in football). the object was to reduce the swelling so that he could finish the game, but the shooter made a horrible mistake. he hit a nerve (which was pure sloppiness on the part of the medic trainer). when he hit the nerve, he essentially gave Troy a dead leg that would last for several hours. Troy was furious. his leg was instantly numb to the effect of having your leg fall asleep. if you watch the game closely, you will see that Troy tries to return, later in the game, but you try playing on a sleeping leg. he checked himself out and to this day it is one of his toughest sporting moments because he loved usc and wanted that game so badly.
rondisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondisco View Post
but the shooter made a horrible mistake. he hit a nerve (which was pure sloppiness on the part of the medic trainer). when he hit the nerve, he essentially gave Troy a dead leg that would last for several hours. Troy was furious. his leg was instantly numb to the effect of having your leg fall asleep. if you watch the game closely, you will see that Troy tries to return, later in the game, but you try playing on a sleeping leg. he checked himself out and to this day it is one of his toughest sporting moments because he loved usc and wanted that game so badly.
Sounds like the playoff game Bettis missed against the Ravens a handful of years ago. They gave the Bus a shot and hit the nerve ... no Bussy for that game ... but we won anyways.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

This is all fascinating to read. If you guys know of other cool draft stories, please post.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote