Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cook: Self-motivation never problem for Steelers' Ward

Cook: Self-motivation never problem for Steelers' Ward
Saturday, January 15, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_718289.html
Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward has a message for those who think he's washed up:

"Don't take me out to the shed and shoot me in the head just yet. I'm not ready for that. I know I'm not the 21-year-old Hines, but I'm not done playing football."

This is great news for the Steelers.

"People are doubting Hines? Good. He loves proving people wrong. He's such a gamer," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

It's not as if Ward needs extra motivation for the game today against the Baltimore Ravens. We are talking about the Ravens, right? "There's nothing like beating Baltimore," he has said many times. And it is the playoffs, isn't it? "The time of year when a player makes a name for himself." And the Steelers do think they have a legitimate shot at a seventh Lombardi, correct? "We have a great team."

But a little extra motivation never hurts. If Ward wants to have a big postseason to make up for his dreary -- at least by his high standards -- regular season, how can that be a bad thing for the Steelers?

"In the playoffs, you have the chance to make significant plays," Ward said. "I pride myself on being the guy that my teammates can lean on to make those plays."

I don't know about you, I won't be surprised if Ward has a big day, even though he did little against the Ravens in the two regular-season games. How about maybe seven catches for 115 yards and a touchdown? I learned a long time ago not to doubt him after calling him a "singles hitter" and saying he wasn't worth the really huge money that the top wide receivers were getting. That was six years, 449 catches, 5,647 receiving yards, 42 touchdowns, two Super Bowls and a Super Bowl MVP award ago.

I know, one of the worst things I've written, which really is saying something.

That was powerful motivation for Ward then, just as his doubters are now. He knows they are looking at his age -- 34 -- and pointing to his statistical dropoff from 95 catches for 1,167 yards and six touchdowns last season to 59 catches for 755 yards and five touchdowns this season. But he said it's a matter of opportunities. "I'll bet I didn't have 100 balls thrown to me this season," he said. Ninety-four, actually. He said he's still getting open, but the ball, for whatever reason, isn't getting to him as much as it once did. Maybe the pass protection breaks down. Or Roethlisberger goes elsewhere. Something ...

"If you look at the top 15 plays when we've had missed opportunities, I'll bet I've been involved in 12," Ward said.

"All I know is I'm still being bracketed on second and third down and I still had [New York Jets cornerback Darrelle] Revis chasing me all over the field. That has to say something, doesn't it? That tells me I can still play this game."

The double coverage tickles Ward at this stage of his career. "Why don't they bracket Mike [Wallace]? He's our big-play guy. They should worry about him, not me." But the mere mention of his day against Revis and the Jets makes his smile disappear quickly. "I was open that day, too, but we didn't want to throw to his side." The Steelers lost that game, 22-17, despite having two plays -- both incompletions -- from the Jets' 10 in the final 9 seconds. Neither went to Ward.

"That ate me up inside," he said. "I'm known as a red-zone guy, but I didn't get the opportunity to make a play."

The only things in football that Ward treasures more than catches and touchdowns are wins and Super Bowl titles. This will be his 15th postseason game with the Steelers. Who knows how many more chances he'll have to win a championship to go along with the one from 2005 when he was MVP of Super Bowl XL against the Seattle Seahawks and '08 when the Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals?

"It's different this time. There's a different vibe. Things have changed," Ward said.

"I'm not the oldest guy on the team, but I am the oldest guy who was drafted here and I've been around here the longest. I don't have Deshea [Townsend] anymore. He's gone now. He and I came in together [in 1998]. I'm the last one left."

Ward plans on playing next season. With 954 career catches for 11,702 yards and 83 touchdowns, he has a couple of big milestones in sight. He really wants 1,000 catches. Only seven players in NFL history have reached that extraordinary number.

But it's clear Ward has thought about his football mortality. It's also clear it saddens him. I'm guessing he would play until he's 50 if he could. He said he telephoned good friend and former teammate Jerome Bettis last week to talk about how he handled the final years of his career, which, like Ward's, should get him to the Hall of Fame.

"He just said, 'Enjoy playing the game. People always are going to say something about you. They're always going to doubt you when you reach a certain age. Just play your game,' " Ward said.

The doubters, again.

"Good," Roethlisberger repeated. "Let 'em doubt Hines. Watch what happens."
Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. Ron Cook can be heard weekdays on the "Vinnie and Cook" show from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11015...#ixzz1B5PAmSDu
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default Re: Cook: Self-motivation never problem for Steelers' Ward

The part where it said Ward was open during the Jets game makes me wonder...
Anyways Mesa do you ever go to sleep?
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,849 Times in 4,490 Posts

Quote:
I learned a long time ago not to doubt him after calling him a "singles hitter" and saying he wasn't worth the really huge money that the top wide receivers were getting. That was six years, 449 catches, 5,647 receiving yards, 42 touchdowns, two Super Bowls and a Super Bowl MVP award ago.

I know, one of the worst things I've written, which really is saying something.
ah yes, i remember that well. if im not mistaken, ron cook compared him to the pirates jason kendall when he got his 6 yr/&60 mil deal.

hopefully all the fans and messageboard savants will finally STFU about ward being moved to the slot or retiring after this season.

people act like they are so sure of hines intentions because of a single line they read in an article almost a year ago.

hes not retiring (even if they do win the SB).

you heard it for certain, from here, first.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ah yes, i remember that well. if im not mistaken, ron cook compared him to the pirates jason kendall when he got his 6 yr/&60 mil deal.

hopefully all the fans and messageboard savants will finally STFU about ward being moved to the slot or retiring after this season.

people act like they are so sure of hines intentions because of a single line they read in an article almost a year ago.

hes not retiring (even if they do win the SB).

you heard it for certain, from here, first.
well it was hines that said it...

Quote:
“I don’t want to be like Brett Favre,” Ward told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I don’t want to be like Old Yeller, when they take you behind the barn and shoot you.”
“If I win three Super Bowls, I’m retiring… I’m telling you that right now.”
but i still think even if they win he'll come back for at least 1 more year. players say all the time that they don't care about stats and personal accolades , but i don't believe it. they always seem to know those stats during interviews.
hines can reach a few milestone and move up a few spots in a few stat catogories with 1 more good season.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote