Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,333 Times in 2,900 Posts
Default NYT Stirs Pot - Pittsburgh Split On Roethlisberger

New York Times takes a day off from running stories by Alan Schwarz on why football is an evil sport that causes brain damage to print today's pot-stirrer on Roethlisberger's diminished popularity in Pittsburgh

In Pittsburgh, a Quarterback Split

Since entering the league in 2004, Roethlisberger has delivered two Super Bowl titles and brought shame upon the city....

He divides Pittsburgh, the City of Bridges, the way the Allegheny River does downtown from the north shore, with the split occurring mostly along gender lines. Men generally seem of a similar mind as Kenny, a sexagenarian nursing a beer at Jack’s Bar on Thursday morning who ascribed Roethlisberger’s behavior to youthful indiscretion and said, “No charges were filed, so I don’t pay any attention to it.”

Women were less forgiving, their ambivalence exemplified by Cecelia, a sexagenarian hotel employee who said she was tuning out Steelers games as long as Roethlisberger was on the team. “I watched the first four this season, but none since he came back,” she said. “It kills me because I really, really love the Rooneys.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/15/sp...eelers.html?hp

FWIW I do not recall any stories in The Times this week that stated the guilty plea of Lawrence Taylor to prostitution charges has "brought shame" upon New York City

Since I live in Atlanta I have no clue whether there really is a significant group in Pittsburgh that, along with The New York Times, has not moved on with regard to Roethlisberger impacting whether they support the Steelers - any Pittsburgh resident posters who can give an assessment on that?
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: NYT Stirs Pot - Pittsburgh Split On Roethlisberger

that stuff's not true at all.
The New York Times is a progressive, far-left, looney-bin publication that makes Hustler magazine look credible.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
cloppbeast
Team Captain

Member Number: 16124

This story is kind of bogus. The New York Times had a point they wanted to prove, and the found a way, even if that involved using a sample size of 2. The one lady did say, "“I think there are a lot of women who feel like I do" - if she thinks so, I guess that's good enough for the NYT. Normaly I'd be amazed at this ridiculous reporting, but I've gotten used to it.

I haven't met any female or male Steelers fans that have stopped watching the Steelers because of Roethlisberger, nor have I met any female or male Steelers fans who hold anything against Ben.

The title of this thread is entirely accurate. The New York Times is just stirring the pot.
cloppbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

67,000 people at every home game
Waiting list 20,000 deep for tickets.
For the most part on the road we fill 1/3 of the stadium with black and gold
#1 NFL apparel seller in the world

5 prime time games this year? National coverage on all but 1 or 2?

12-4 team
No boo's
Perhaps first game back there were some fence sitters there was some worry.

YUP, the above has all the making of fans who hate Ben, and those same fans are cheering week in and week out and asking for his autograph.

As the above poster has stated and I agree. I have yet to hear anyone aside from other teams fan that is anti Ben. Furthermore if you dont like it or him go root for the Brown at least you will know you won't have any playoff anguish to deal with.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
huntingteacher
Water Boy

Member Number: 15304
My Mood: Bored

I bleed black and gold. I've followed sports so long, I've got tired of most. The Steelers are different. I like the Rooneys. I like the class they have and the success doesn't hurt either. I don't care for Ben's past behavior. I believe in forgiveness, and he can and maybe already back on track. Still too early for me to throw my unequivical support behind him.
huntingteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
SacknificentStew56
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16658

FUGG this story and FUGG the NY Times!! The only way the Giants or Jets will get close to a Lombardi will be if they take a field trip to Pittsburgh and we're not having that.
SacknificentStew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

Anything from New York is garbage. They have garbage everywhere you look in that city. And rats. Lots of rats. Can't walk through the park without getting mugged. Anyone who would live in that city is a looney toon. Ten to one the person who wrote that article doesn't even live in New York City. Probably commutes in from the burbs.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
that stuff's not true at all.
The New York Times is a progressive, far-left, looney-bin publication that makes Hustler magazine look credible.
Spot on. Wouldn't use it to wipe my ass, it would make my ass dirtier.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote