Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Things we can't do if we want to move on

1. Fumble. Mendy has to hang onto the ball. Ben's was one of those holding the ball too long plays.
2. Special Teams break downs. Both the opening kickoff and the almost punt return TD were bad ST plays. With our D, making a team go the whole field is huge.
3. Miss a makeable field goal. I know a 43 yarder at Heinz isn't guaranteed, but this is the playoffs. Suisham has been money most of this season missing only 1 field goal in 17 tries. He just had his 1 playoff miss, no more.
4. Miss open field tackles. I love Troy, but he struggled yesterday tackling Rice, missing 2 big tackles on him. 1 for a TD, the other for a huge 1st down on 3rd and 7 where Troy had him 3 yards before the line.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Things we can't do if we want to move on

# 2. Easily the most important. I just started a thread about this asking questions.

Not only are we in danger of TD's being scored every time........the field position part of this is absolutely critical.
We are constantly being pinned deep in our own territory (thus asking our offense to drive 90 yards waaaaay more than they should have to...)....and we are punting from deep in our territory too, thus giving opposition awesome field position (and thats not even counting the ridiculous runbacks against us...)
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
1. Fumble. Mendy has to hang onto the ball. Ben's was one of those holding the ball too long plays.
2. Special Teams break downs. Both the opening kickoff and the almost punt return TD were bad ST plays. With our D, making a team go the whole field is huge.
3. Miss a makeable field goal. I know a 43 yarder at Heinz isn't guaranteed, but this is the playoffs. Suisham has been money most of this season missing only 1 field goal in 17 tries. He just had his 1 playoff miss, no more.
4. Miss open field tackles. I love Troy, but he struggled yesterday tackling Rice, missing 2 big tackles on him. 1 for a TD, the other for a huge 1st down on 3rd and 7 where Troy had him 3 yards before the line.
Have an offense as sloppy as it was for the entire first half.
Have Special Teams miss tackles and assignments
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

5. The chippy play and stupid fights like Taylor's stupid head butt have to stop! I'll bet there will be a fine out of that one. We were lucky the refs didn't see it. In the first half the chippy play was out of control. We play that way against Goodell's darlings, the Cheats, and there will be a yellow rain of flags against us.

On number 4 it's apparent that Troy is still injured. I wish we had not played him that last game of the season especially since we did not need him against the Clowns. It would have been better to let him rest.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

#6 We can not start slow. This team, for what ever reason, has a habit of starting slow. Last time when we played the Cheats we did it and they tore us apart. The same thing will happen if we start slow again next week. Why we start slow is beyond me but we can't afford to let a team like the cheats get up on us early.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
#6 We can not start slow. This team, for what ever reason, has a habit of starting slow. Last time when we played the Cheats we did it and they tore us apart. The same thing will happen if we start slow again next week. Why we start slow is beyond me but we can't afford to let a team like the cheats get up on us early.
The Steelers first drive of the game was a 10 play, 80 yard touchdown drive. They started fast enough. Eliminate the turnovers and they'll be fine.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
Frankie3521
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10456

We can't fumble or miss open tackles? You must really be a guru to the game of football, I've never thought those things were important. I'm taking notes, anything else?

Oh, making easy field goals is important too? I really think you deserve a spot on the coaching staff for the Steelers. You see the game in a light only few have.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
5. The chippy play and stupid fights like Taylor's stupid head butt have to stop! I'll bet there will be a fine out of that one. We were lucky the refs didn't see it. In the first half the chippy play was out of control. We play that way against Goodell's darlings, the Cheats, and there will be a yellow rain of flags against us.

On number 4 it's apparent that Troy is still injured. I wish we had not played him that last game of the season especially since we did not need him against the Clowns. It would have been better to let him rest.
Yep. This is a big one. I don't think the Jets or Pats will provide the same type of chippy play. The extra hatred is not the same. But Kemo needs to be sat down and reprimanded for his BS. Could have cost us the game on that last TD play. Giving them the ball at our 48. He also got away with one even later than this one early in the game. Fool missed his block and Mendy should have been stopped for a loss if not for a great cut, then the fool tries to make up for his missed block by taking a late cheap shot. This crap can not be tolerated by Tomlin.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
SmashmouthFootball
Starter

Member Number: 12020

Our offense needs to make every drive relatively productive, and that doesn't necessarily mean scoring points. They need to avoid dumb strings of penalties and they need to move the chains at least once or twice every possession. That will be key to our field position battles and key in keeping Brady off the field. We can't let ourselves get behind because we need to be able to use our run game, because you can run on the Pats...just not if you're down three scores. The Patriots struggle to get good pass rush regularly so our offensive line needs to be solid in not letting their 3 or 4 man fronts get to Ben so he has time to pick apart Belichek's scheme.

If the rookies(Sanders and Brown) can make the same impact they have the last 5 or so weeks, we have a great shot to put points on the board and win. Belichek has always subscribed to making sure they shut down a teams strength(I.E., Mike Wallace...) so those guys are going to have opportunities to get open and make big plays for us.
SmashmouthFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixburgher View Post
The Steelers first drive of the game was a 10 play, 80 yard touchdown drive. They started fast enough. Eliminate the turnovers and they'll be fine.
I did not say we started slow in this game but that we have done it numerous times this season. The game against the Cheats stands out as an example. We started fine in this game but then collapsed and we can't do that next week either.