Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default QBs separate Ravens and Steelers

QBs separate Ravens and Steelers
By James Walker
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/print?id=23387

PITTSBURGH -- There is not much that separates the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens. Both teams have elite defenses, Pro Bowl players, future Hall of Famers and two of the best coaching staffs in the NFL.

Divisional Round Coverage

But on Pittsburgh's sideline you have quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. And on Baltimore's sideline you have Joe Flacco.

Game, set and match in favor of the Steelers.

Roethlisberger was masterful against Baltimore once again during Pittsburgh's 31-24 divisional-round playoff victory Saturday. He threw for 226 yards and two touchdowns. Roethlisberger's biggest play was a key, 58-yard bomb to rookie receiver Antonio Brown on third-and-19 that led to Pittsburgh's go-ahead score with less than two minutes remaining.

The game marked Roethlisberger's seventh consecutive win over Baltimore -- Pittsburgh's biggest rival -- and improved his career record to 9-2 against the Ravens. It's painfully obvious that the Ravens will not climb "Mt. Roethlisberger" until Flacco closes ground on Pittsburgh's two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback.

As Roethlisberger kept making big play after big play, Flacco floundered with another poor playoff outing, throwing for only 125 yards and one touchdown and committing two huge turnovers (one interception and one fumble). In a very close game that came down to the final possession, Roethlisberger's passer rating was 101.8 compared with Flacco's 61.1.

Joe Flacco was sacked four times in the second half and the Steelers held the Ravens to only three points after halftime.
"He's better. Right now Ben's better," Steelers safety Ryan Clark said bluntly. "He's more experienced, he's been through it more times and seen more things. It's not a slight on Flacco at all; it's a compliment to our guy. We have total confidence in Ben that when we need a play he's going to make it."

The look on Roethlisberger's face Saturday night was matter-of-fact. There was no big smile or special show of emotion in the locker room or during his news conference after one of the best wins of his career. Roethlisberger expects to step up in key postseason moments, so much so that he barely wanted to indulge in his clutch play.

"I have confidence in our guys," Roethlisberger shrugged. "It's not just me by any means, all I have to do is throw it."

Baltimore needed big plays from Flacco against Pittsburgh but didn't get them.

The Ravens' defense was tremendous in the first half. They forced two Pittsburgh turnovers early that led to 14 points, including a forced fumble of Roethlisberger that was picked up by Ravens defensive lineman Cory Redding and returned for a 13-yard touchdown.

The Ravens led 21-7 in the first half before Pittsburgh's defense got to Flacco in the second half and things fell apart. Flacco was only 4-of-12 passing for 43 yards and had both of his turnovers in the second half. Flacco also didnít get much help as Baltimore receivers dropped some passes. Four of Pittsburgh's five sacks also came after intermission, as Pittsburgh outscored Baltimore 24-3 in the second half.

"I think you kind of saw Joe get a little rattled. He was getting hit a couple of times," Clark said as he continued to compare the two quarterbacks. "We put some pressure on him and Ben never [gets rattled]. I think he likes it."

JOE FLACCO VS. 5+ RUSHERS

Joe Flacco handled extra pressure well all season until the Steelers rattled the Ravens quarterback Saturday.
1st 17 games Divisonal round
Comp. pct. 59.0 20.0
Yards per att. 7.9 0.9
Passer rtg. 98.2 72.9
Dropbacks/sack 17.5 11.0
Source: ESPN Stats & Information

Flacco dropped to 2-6 against the Steelers and 0-6 in games that Roethlisberger has played. Flacco's two wins against Pittsburgh came in 2009 when Roethlisberger sat out with a concussion and this season when Roethlisberger was serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

"We're both good football teams and the bottom line is they're better at winning right now than we are," Flacco said. "We have to improve. We're just not there yet."

And neither is Flacco. But afterward, Roethlisberger offered Flacco some words of encouragement.

"I'd just tell him to keep his head up," Roethlisberger said. "He's a really, really good player. He's going to be one of the best in this league."

But for now Roethlisberger continues to rack up wins against Flacco in this great rivalry.

This is the fourth time Pittsburgh has made it to the AFC title game in Roethlisberger's seven seasons. The Steelers will try to advance to the Super Bowl for the third time since the 2005 season when they play next weekend against the New England Patriots or New York Jets.

Meanwhile, another great season ends for the Ravens as Flacco continues his maturation process. Flacco has led Baltimore to the playoffs in three straight seasons, which is quite an accomplishment. But for the Ravens to win a Super Bowl, their third-year quarterback needs to put together more Roethlisberger-like performances in the postseason.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default Re: QBs separate Ravens and Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
By James Walker

PITTSBURGH -- There is not much that separates the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens. Both teams have elite defenses, Pro Bowl players, future Hall of Famers and two of the best coaching staffs in the NFL.

But on Pittsburgh's sideline you have quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. And on Baltimore's sideline you have Joe Flacco.

Roethlisberger was masterful against Baltimore once again during Pittsburgh's 31-24 divisional-round playoff victory Saturday. He threw for 226 yards and two touchdowns. Roethlisberger's biggest play was a key, 58-yard bomb to rookie receiver Antonio Brown on third-and-19 that led to Pittsburgh's go-ahead score with less than two minutes remaining.

The game marked Roethlisberger's seventh consecutive win over Baltimore -- Pittsburgh's biggest rival -- and improved his career record to 9-2 against the Ravens. It's painfully obvious that the Ravens will not climb "Mt. Roethlisberger" until Flacco closes ground on Pittsburgh's two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback.

As Roethlisberger kept making big play after big play, Flacco floundered with another poor playoff outing, throwing for only 125 yards and one touchdown and committing two huge turnovers (one interception and one fumble). In a very close game that came down to the final possession, Roethlisberger's passer rating was 101.8 compared with Flacco's 61.1.

Joe Flacco was sacked four times in the second half and the Steelers held the Ravens to only three points after halftime.
"He's better. Right now Ben's better," Steelers safety Ryan Clark said bluntly. "He's more experienced, he's been through it more times and seen more things. It's not a slight on Flacco at all; it's a compliment to our guy. We have total confidence in Ben that when we need a play he's going to make it."

The look on Roethlisberger's face Saturday night was matter-of-fact. There was no big smile or special show of emotion in the locker room or during his news conference after one of the best wins of his career. Roethlisberger expects to step up in key postseason moments, so much so that he barely wanted to indulge in his clutch play.

"I have confidence in our guys," Roethlisberger shrugged. "It's not just me by any means, all I have to do is throw it."

The Ravens' defense was tremendous in the first half. They forced two Pittsburgh turnovers early that led to 14 points, including a forced fumble of Roethlisberger that was picked up by Ravens defensive lineman Cory Redding and returned for a 13-yard touchdown.

The Ravens led 21-7 in the first half before Pittsburgh's defense got to Flacco in the second half and things fell apart. Flacco was only 4-of-12 passing for 43 yards and had both of his turnovers in the second half. Flacco also didnít get much help as Baltimore receivers dropped some passes. Four of Pittsburgh's five sacks also came after intermission, as Pittsburgh outscored Baltimore 24-3 in the second half.

"I think you kind of saw Joe get a little rattled. He was getting hit a couple of times," Clark said as he continued to compare the two quarterbacks. "We put some pressure on him and Ben never [gets rattled]. I think he likes it."

Joe Flacco handled extra pressure well all season until the Steelers rattled the Ravens quarterback Saturday.
Comp. pct. 59.0 20.0
Yards per att. 7.9 0.9
Passer rtg. 98.2 72.9
Dropbacks/sack 17.5 11.0

Flacco dropped to 2-6 against the Steelers and 0-6 in games that Roethlisberger has played. Flacco's two wins against Pittsburgh came in 2009 when Roethlisberger sat out with a concussion and this season when Roethlisberger was serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

"We're both good football teams and the bottom line is they're better at winning right now than we are," Flacco said. "We have to improve. We're just not there yet."

And neither is Flacco. But afterward, Roethlisberger offered Flacco some words of encouragement.

"I'd just tell him to keep his head up," Roethlisberger said. "He's a really, really good player. He's going to be one of the best in this league."

But for now Roethlisberger continues to rack up wins against Flacco in this great rivalry.

This is the fourth time Pittsburgh has made it to the AFC title game in Roethlisberger's seven seasons. The Steelers will try to advance to the Super Bowl for the third time since the 2005 season when they play next weekend against the New England Patriots or New York Jets.

Meanwhile, another great season ends for the Ravens as Flacco continues his maturation process. Flacco has led Baltimore to the playoffs in three straight seasons, which is quite an accomplishment. But for the Ravens to win a Super Bowl, their third-year quarterback needs to put together more Roethlisberger-like performances in the postseason.
Flacco reminds me of Neil O'donnell....

We all know how that turned out......

He just reminds me of one of those guys that would rather run then fight........

You can't win championships with those guys........
Old 01-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Superbowl
Water Boy

Member Number: 17629

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
By James Walker

Comp. pct. 59.0 20.0
Yards per att. 7.9 0.9
Passer rtg. 98.2 72.9
Dropbacks/sack 17.5 11.0

Game on the line the 3 best QBs Brady-Manning and Big Ben. Ben's not a ratings QB. He just wins.
Superbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,454 Times in 3,544 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

and we have a young & talented wr corps. the ravens have a bunch of washed-up has-beens
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

I'll still say, the Steelers "D" is the real separator when all is said n done in this game.
Our "D" play to setup Ben(and "O") to go for the jugular, and that is LeBeau's other tactic.
QB's ?, ya but ....pffft
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Sick

Best part of the article...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I think this loss will destroy the Ravens. I'd bet $ next year they miss the playoffs and their locker room completely implodes. Then they'll finally realize they need to rebuild that team. They have too many selfish players. They are so wrapped up into their ego's and BS trash talking to ever win a championship with those players.

Flacco is not good enough in today's NFL to win a SB. He would need one of the best defenses ever...along with a dominating running game to win a SB. He's not tough enough and gets rattled too easily. He lacks that 2nd gear that is needed to win big games. In the 4th quarter you need your QB to elevate his play. I don't know the number but I'm willing to bet Flacco hasn't orchestrated too many come from behind victories.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
I think this loss will destroy the Ravens. I'd bet $ next year they miss the playoffs and their locker room completely implodes. Then they'll finally realize they need to rebuild that team. They have too many selfish players. They are so wrapped up into their ego's and BS trash talking to ever win a championship with those players.

Flacco is not good enough in today's NFL to win a SB. He would need one of the best defenses ever...along with a dominating running game to win a SB. He's not tough enough and gets rattled too easily. He lacks that 2nd gear that is needed to win big games. In the 4th quarter you need your QB to elevate his play. I don't know the number but I'm willing to bet Flacco hasn't orchestrated too many come from behind victories.
Flacco left Pitt cause he couldn't even start there.........
Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Flacco left Pitt cause he couldn't even start there.........
He left because Palko (i think) had the starting position guaranteed to him. Flacco realized he would be a backup for a while and to have the best chance to start he went somewhere else. Turned out very well for him in the long run.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote