Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Roethlisberger's comeback ability second to none

Roethlisberger's comeback ability second to none
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_718525.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 17, 2011

A piece of unsolicited advice to coach Rex Ryan and the New York Jets: Do not, repeat do not, give Ben Roethlisberger a second chance to win a game at the end of it if you want to go to your first Super Bowl since Joe Willie Namath owned Broadway.

The Jets visit the Steelers on Sunday in the AFC Championship Game, and the one thing that stands out about their 22-17 victory at Heinz Field on Dec. 19 is what didn't happen.

Roethlisberger led the Steelers down the field in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter but came up agonizingly short.

That is one of the few times during his career that Roethlisberger has not delivered with the game on the line.

He still threw for 68 yards and rushed for 22 more in leading the Steelers to the Jets' 10-yard line before consecutive incomplete passes ended the Steelers' comeback bid.

The Jets may have vanquished Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on the way to their second consecutive AFC title game. But they don't exactly get a bargain with Roethlisberger, as Ryan noted after his team's stunning 28-21 upset of New England yesterday.

"Now (it's) 'Mission Impossible, Round Three,' " Ryan said.

The Ravens probably wouldn't argue that Ryan laced the Jets' next assignment with some hyperbole, given how the Steelers ended Baltimore's season Saturday.

Roethlisberger led the Steelers on an 11-play, 65-yard touchdown drive after the Ravens had tied the score at 24.

Roethlisberger's 58-yard pass to rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown set up Rashard Mendenhall's 2-yard scoring run.

And it only bolstered the argument that he is as clutch as any quarterback of his generation -- and may go down as one of the greatest gamers of all-time. Remember: Roethlisberger is only 28 years old.

"I have confidence in our guys. It's not just me by any means; all I have to do is throw it," Roethlisberger said of his penchant for late-game heroics. "The guys did a great job of protecting on the long pass play. I just had to throw it up and let them make a play."

Such humility probably wouldn't play too well in Baltimore, where Roethlisberger may be as reviled as Robert Irsay, the owner who moved the beloved Colts from the Charm City to Indianapolis in 1984.

He improved to 9-2 lifetime against the Ravens and again found a way to beat them at the end of a high-stakes game.

Roethlisberger's success against the Ravens is just a reflection of what he has done since going 13-0 as a starter as a rookie during the 2004 regular season -- no quarterback has ever done that in the NFL -- and then leading the Steelers to a Super Bowl title the following year.

"He may not be Brady or all the other guys, but you can't knock the guy for what he has done," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said. "He is a proven winner in the playoffs. And me as a player, I am just glad to be a part. When I see him in that huddle, I know I've always got a chance to win a ballgame."

The Jets probably share the same sentiment after watching Roethlisberger nearly snatch a victory from them a month ago.

"He's proven time and time again that he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league," Steelers tight end Heath Miller said. "He doesn't get a lot of respect outside of here, as much as he deserves. Hopefully we can bring home a ring this year to solidify that. Maybe his game isn't as pretty as some of the other quarterbacks who stand in there and throw the ball, but I think he's one of the best at what he does."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,290 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Roethlisberger's comeback ability second to none

I'll take ben over brady any day of the week. And I will say that he possibly is the better qb out of the two.

Don't think so?

- Brady's accuracy is worse than Jamarcus Russell when he's facing pressure. Ben is capable of making amazing throws when there's 300lb linemen wrapped around his waist.
- Brady can't make plays out of the pocket. Flush him out and it's a negative play or incomplete pass. Flushing Ben out of the pocket is a death sentence to a defense.
- With how bad brady is throwing the ball with the pass rush in his face, I'm almost positive that if he was the Steelers QB, we wouldn't even be in the playoffs right now

and if we wanna talk about rings and championships, as we all know, this is a 'what have you done for me lately?' league.

Championships since 2005: Ben -2, Brady -0

Congrats Tom, you're now the new peyton manning. Fantasy football MVP, but a choke artist. I guess since they can't cheat anymore they won't win any championships
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

I say this about Brady all the time, he's been a play off choker since 2005, Manning atleast won a champion ship since Brady won one, so he truely is the new Manning. But when you try to convince this to Patriot fans, they say "well he has the 3 rings from so many years ago. Yes thats a great thing, but thats in the past, he's a has been now.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,265 Times in 639 Posts

I guarantee you, if Big Ben wins 2 more games, all the "he doesn't get enough credit or nobody believed in him" talk will be thrown out the window. He wins two more games, and Big Ben will cement a first ballet hall of fame ticket to canton.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I guarantee you, if Big Ben wins 2 more games, all the "he doesn't get enough credit or nobody believed in him" talk will be thrown out the window. He wins two more games, and Big Ben will cement a first ballet hall of fame ticket to canton.
i think he's a first ballot even if he doesn't. but I have a good feeling about this year
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
OX1947
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i think he's a first ballot even if he doesn't. but I have a good feeling about this year
If the Steelers win on Sunday, look for Big Ben to have a masterful Super Bowl. It will be a Mark Rypien, Troy Aikman type Super Bowl for him. 300 yards and 3 or 4 TDs.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
If the Steelers win on Sunday, look for Big Ben to have a masterful Super Bowl. It will be a Mark Rypien, Troy Aikman type Super Bowl for him. 300 yards and 3 or 4 TDs.
Ben needs a superbowl MVP type superbowl to get him into the Hall. As much as I like him, superbowl 40 was just shameful for a quarterback. 2006 was a terrible season. He's only 7 years in, with a comeback drive in 1 superbowl, its hall of fame worthy, not first ballot. If he wins this year, and its a big win, then he'd be first ballot, even if he retired after the superbowl.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
that'll only happen if we're playing green bay and get caught in a shootout. if it's the bears, it'll be a low scoring game.

personally i've never been big on stats, as long as we win it's all good!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
OX1947
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Ben needs a superbowl MVP type superbowl to get him into the Hall. As much as I like him, superbowl 40 was just shameful for a quarterback. 2006 was a terrible season. He's only 7 years in, with a comeback drive in 1 superbowl, its hall of fame worthy, not first ballot. If he wins this year, and its a big win, then he'd be first ballot, even if he retired after the superbowl.
Ah crap, if the Steelers win the Super Bowl. Hines Ward is going to retire. I forgot about that.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Ah crap, if the Steelers win the Super Bowl. Hines Ward is going to retire. I forgot about that.
dreaded this day but honestly, it will make the victory all the sweeter if we can send ward out a winner