Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Adams sick of losing

Adams sick of losing
Monday, January 17, 2011
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11017/1118601-87.stm

It isn't often we get to walk in the Steelers' shoes, especially the size 22s of the man so enormous that they call him "Flozell The Hotel." But Saturday night was one of those times. Saturday night, we all could relate to big offensive tackle Flozell Adams. Saturday night, we also learned a little more about why this Steelers team is so special and will go to Super Bowl XLV Feb. 6 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, if it can beat the New York Jets Sunday night in the AFC championship game at Heinz Field.

Column warning:

Read on with caution if you are having your bagel and coffee.

"He was puking his guts out," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of Adams. "He puked out everything."

This was at halftime of the playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens. Somehow, Adams made it through the first half but, finally, was brought to his knees, not because the Steelers trailed, 21-7, although that made every player on the team feel sick, but because of flu-like symptoms. Who among us hasn't been there? We just want to die when we're hugging the commode. Adams wanted to get back on the field to block the great Terrell Suggs and the other beasts on the Ravens' defense.

The Steelers' medical staff worked feverishly through halftime and the third quarter to get Adams well. "I had IVs, pills, shots [of anti-nausea medicine], everything you can think of," he said.

"It hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldn't believe it. I don't think I've been sick like that since college. And to get sick now ... "

During the biggest game of his decorated pro career.

Adams, 35, spent his first 12 years in the NFL with the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys lost all five of its playoff games with him before beating the Philadelphia Eagles a year ago in the wild-card round. He signed as a free agent with the Steelers right before training camp after starting right tackle Willie Colon was lost for the season in the summer because of an Achilles' tendon injury.

Do you think Adams would love to get back to Dallas for the Super Bowl?

You have no idea.

"Flozell came here for one reason -- to win,"
Tomlin said. "He has all the money he needs and all the accolades. All he wants to do is win. His intentions are as pure as any player I've ever been around."

Adams' illness left the Steelers in a bad spot. Backup swingman Trai Essex had to jump into Adams' spot. That's not a good thing when Suggs and his bunch are the opponents.

The Steelers' problems got much worse when left tackle Jonathan Scott was banged up on the final play of the third quarter. Now, we're talking some serious juggling. Essex had to move to the left side. Backup Doug Legursky stepped in at right guard and bumped starter Ramon Foster to right tackle.

That's when something amazing happened. Something almost Willis Reed-like, if you will. As the players huddled up for the first play of the fourth quarter, Adams, who was aware that Scott was down, walked straight from the locker room to the sideline and right onto the field.

Actually, staggered is a better description.

"Dead Man Walking," teammate Brett Keisel called Adams.

Tomlin ran 20 yards onto the field to stop Adams. He and trainer John Norwig pulled him back to the sideline. This wasn't time for heroics from a guy who was so sick he could barely stand. Not against Suggs and Co., who were coming after Ben Roethlisberger with bad intentions.

"Wasn't it an awesome sight seeing him trying to go out there?" Tomlin asked. "I told him I appreciated him and what he was doing, but that, hopefully, we wouldn't need him."

The Steelers didn't, as it turned out. Scott recovered quickly and finished the game. Essex went back to right tackle and Foster to right guard. The Steelers won, 31-24, surviving and advancing.

"They made the right decision not letting me play," Adams said after the game. He appeared to be feeling better, if only because of the win. At least he no longer looked green.

"I could have let the whole team down if I had gone back in," Adams said. "I could have given up a sack or missed a block or got the quarterback killed. Better to have Trai and Doug in there. They did a damn good job. The whole line did. I'm so proud of 'em."

It's been that way all season. The line, though not nearly the best in the NFL, has been better than most people think despite playing without Colon and starting left tackle Max Starks and with rookie center Maurkice Pouncey. Sure, it allowed six sacks Saturday, three by the inimitable Suggs. But Tomlin wasn't concerned with that number. "We could have five Anthony Munozes on the line and we'd still give up sacks because of the quarterback. No. 7 is going to take some sacks. But he's going to make more big plays for us." The only numbers Tomlin cares about were on the scoreboard. "We're not interested in style points," he has said many times.

Adams expects to be ready when the Steelers take on the Jets.
"I came here to win the Super Bowl. I'm one win from getting there."

The Steelers will start to look ahead to the Jets game when they report back to work today at their South Side compound. But Roethlisberger wanted to take one final look back at the Ravens game. Adams' willingness to play under such trying circumstances wasn't lost on him or the other players.

"That the way it is with this team," Roethlisberger said. "We would do anything for each other. Even get off a gurney. I mean, literally get off a gurney."

You want to know why the Steelers are in the AFC championship game?

That's as good a reason as any.

First published on January 17, 2011 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11017...#ixzz1BGoGMbqL
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609
Default Re: Adams sick of losing

"He was puking his guts out," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of Adams. "He puked out everything."

Puking his Guts out ?...Man, that's a WHOLE lot of Puke, considering his Gut

But I hope the big guy is doing better.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

Man, you have to admire the effort. I've been critical of Flozell at times but overall, I think he's done a solid job. Hope he's feeling better and we'll see him playing next week. The O-line actually played really well the last time we faced the Jets... I'm sure they will next week as well.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

that would be so awesome if he could return to Dallas for the Super Bowl.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
SacknificentStew56
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16658

Hope he'll be fine for the AFC Champ game. We need him on the line for sure.
SacknificentStew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Flo got alot of flack here in Dallas for his false starts and lack of concentration at times, but for the most part, he shut down Trent Cole, Justin Tuck, Osi, Andre Carter, and other dominant NFCE pass rushers, which really helped Tony Romo and our offense.

Flo even made Drew Bledsoe look like a Pro Bowler in 2005 before he went down with a knee injury, which was when Bledsoe went back to his old self.

Congrats on Flo this year - he's certainly played very well. Doug Free(Flo's replacement) has played decently this year, but I'm not sure if he's a long-term replacement at LT.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,094 Times in 4,590 Posts

theres an old saying- 'dont look a gift horse in the mouth".

i have never been critical of flozell and have been more than happy he's been here ever since he arrived. it was a great signing for a great price. i would hate to see him go after a single season him and a rookie have almost saved our line and helped get us to another championship game.

i rarely say this about a cowboy but i hope he finally gets his ring. he is 'steeler' through and through.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
JCPsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 15542

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewman41 View Post
Flo got alot of flack here in Dallas for his false starts and lack of concentration at times, but for the most part, he shut down Trent Cole, Justin Tuck, Osi, Andre Carter, and other dominant NFCE pass rushers, which really helped Tony Romo and our offense.

Flo even made Drew Bledsoe look like a Pro Bowler in 2005 before he went down with a knee injury, which was when Bledsoe went back to his old self.

Congrats on Flo this year - he's certainly played very well. Doug Free(Flo's replacement) has played decently this year, but I'm not sure if he's a long-term replacement at LT.
Yeah the Hotel I thought was going to have a lot of false start penalties but I can only remember a handful from him this year. Thought he has played well for us.
JCPsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Well Flozell and the his little buddies need to man up and step it up this week. Ellis is going to be litzing on Ben all day long.

Like super bowl 43, the media needs to call out the Oline now. We cant have ben on his back 15 times a game with 6 sacks.
Of course getting a head shot flag and hit to knees might help, but apparently the ref's dont see the hits on Ben like the Oline dont see the guys flying by them.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

The Jets D-Line didn't give us alot of trouble the first game. If anything it was their Blitzing DB Coleman who did. But, with Antonio Brown now playing a bigger role, and with him being a good, quick hitting WR, it will be tough to rush Coleman off the lone, and have Brown not covered. Cause Coleman will likely be the guy who has to cover Brown on WR sets.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote