Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,511 Times in 671 Posts
Default Clayton on Ben

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ohn&id=6027672

Clayton's AFC Q&A:

1. What is the significance of Roethlisberger's appearance in the AFC Championship Game?

If Roethlisberger beats the Jets and eventually gets the Lombardi Trophy, he will earn his third Super Bowl ring, tying Brady and giving him two more than Peyton Manning. The Manning-Brady battles dominated the 2000s. Both are locks to be first-ballot Hall of Famers. Roethlisberger might not be able to put "HOF" next to his name yet, but three Super Bowl rings would let him enter the conversation. He's only 28 years old. What's amazing is that he's 9-2 as a playoff quarterback. Manning has been in the playoffs in 11 of his 13 seasons, but his record is 9-10. Putting it in more perspective, there are only five quarterbacks since 1980 who have more playoff wins than Roethlisberger -- Joe Montana (16), Brady (14), John Elway (14), Brett Favre (13) and Troy Aikman (11).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are some damned interesting stats and what surprises me more is that Bradshaw doesn't even enter into THAT conversation. All in all, I'd say that Ben is in pretty good company and worthy of being in ANY conversation.

It also points out the ridiculousness of bringing Drew Brees into the discussion of "elite" QB's as has been done to death for the last year or so.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Clayton on Ben

Bradshaw ONLY doesn;t enter into it, because they are saying since 1980. Bradshaw is 14-5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Bradshaw

In his 14-season career, Bradshaw completed 2,025 of 3,901 passes for 27,989 yards and 212 touchdowns. He also rushed 444 times for 2,257 yards and 32 touchdowns. He was 107-51 as the starting quarterback and the Steelers reached the playoffs 10 times. His career postseason record as a starter was 14-5. He was also selected to play in three Pro Bowl games.

Drew who?lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

If Ben gets his 3rd Super Bowl ring this season. As far as Hall of fame talk goes, and those who feel Ben is NOT a HOF QB. Take note. Ben as of right now has 2800 career pass attempts,,,and 144 TD's. Now, lets say next season Ben throws 500 pass attempts, I doubt he does, but lets say he does. Now, if he attempts that many, it is more then safe to say Ben will have at LEAST 25 TD's, and lets go ahead and say he will have 14 Interceptions. Now, that would give him a total of 3300 pass attempts, for 169 TD's and 100 Intercetions.

Well Troy Aikman threw for a career 165 TD's, and 141 career Interceptions,,,and...Aikman had 4,715 career pass attempts to get those 165 TD's....over 1400 MORE then Ben will have had to get his 169...and BOTH would have 3 Super Bowl wins as well....and Aikman had ALOT better talent around him then Ben has had. And maybe the BEST O-Line ever. And Aikman was a 1st time ballet Hall of famer....but Ben is not ?

Ridiculous! Ben is a LOCK for the Hall of fame. No matter what the " Haters " wish to think.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
NYC_Steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16763

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Those are some damned interesting stats and what surprises me more is that Bradshaw doesn't even enter into THAT conversation.
While I don't dispute the kudos to Ben, I do have an issue with your reference to Bradshaw. As the story stated, the playoff wins were as of 1980. Bradshaw was winning Super Bowls in the 70's - which is why he's not on the list. Terry was 14-5 in the playoffs and by the 80s, the Steelers were in decline. And don't forget: a 2nd wild card game was added to each conference in 1978. Don't knock Terry - he's the man. As for passing stats and such - don't forget: the Steelers of the 70s were a running team with passing capabilities.
NYC_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Steeler View Post
While I don't dispute the kudos to Ben, I do have an issue with your reference to Bradshaw. As the story stated, the playoff wins were as of 1980. Bradshaw was winning Super Bowls in the 70's - which is why he's not on the list. Terry was 14-5 in the playoffs and by the 80s, the Steelers were in decline. And don't forget: a 2nd wild card game was added to each conference in 1978. Don't knock Terry - he's the man.

I would never knock Terry.

He's the guy who got me into being a Steeler fan in the first place and I've been on board since he was a rookie.

What I meant by what I wrote was that Terry never seems to be included in any of the "elite" conversations and that frankly pisses me off in the same way that Ben seems to always be left out.

Like Ben, Terry certainly wasn't "pretty", but he was the best money QB in the game. I see a lot of similarities to him in Ben and I suspect that his lack of gaudy stats are the reason why he's hardly mentioned. But like Terry, I think of Ben as the best money QB in the game today, so maybe history is repeating itself.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I would never knock Terry.

He's the guy who got me into being a Steeler fan in the first place and I've been on board since he was a rookie.

What I meant by what I wrote was that Terry never seems to be included in any of the "elite" conversations and that frankly pisses me off in the same way that Ben seems to always be left out.

Like Ben, Terry certainly wasn't "pretty", but he was the best money QB in the game. I see a lot of similarities to him in Ben and I suspect that his lack of gaudy stats are the reason why he's hardly mentioned. But like Terry, I think of Ben as the best money QB in the game today, so maybe history is repeating itself.

Bradshaw is a legend no doubt. And maybe the biggest " Money " QB ever. But the difference between he and all the others was that Bradshaw had the benefit that None of his players could legally just leave the team. There was no free agency during his career. As where Ben has had to deal with that distraction of old players leaving, and new players arriving. Bradshaw never had to worry about his Hall of fame teammates leaving.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

First of all there is not much anyone can say or do anything to convince me that pretty much any of the players from the 70's could stack up against these new athletes of today's games. As much as I loved C Mike Webster at around 260 lbs would never have a chance against someone of Ngata's stature in Baltimore . . no way. That being said, I think Ben could go back in time easier than Terry could move forward to play against faster bigger players today. Ben is big strong and doesnt get flustered anymore that I can see. Terry threw alot of INT's during his career and he hasnt ever faced a defense like the Steelers have now with all the speed and Ravens as well. Now, I appreciate all that Bradshaw did in the 70's for that Steelers team, but he had a Great Defense for that Time of the game. But they had a backup QB that most likely could have won a lot of games for that team as well.
Ben should be Hall of Fame bound in my opinion, but with a 3rd super bowl on his resume he would be an automatic in my opinion.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpalinhater View Post
Bradshaw is a legend no doubt. And maybe the biggest " Money " QB ever. But the difference between he and all the others was that Bradshaw had the benefit that None of his players could legally just leave the team. There was no free agency during his career. As where Ben has had to deal with that distraction of old players leaving, and new players arriving. Bradshaw never had to worry about his Hall of fame teammates leaving.

I hear that and it's all the more reason to put Ben higher on the list. He's done quite a bit with what has sometimes been a revolving door at WR. First Plax, then Holmes, now Wallace (just to name a few). But all along he's still managed to be who he is and has still managed to build the record and resume he has.

It's just mind boggling how little he's mentioned and how guys like Brees and Rogers - both excellent QB's but with nowhere near the overall success as Ben - regularly upstage him and are almost always included in the "Brady / Manning" narrative.

I mean...Come On!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Bradshaw ONLY doesn;t enter into it, because they are saying since 1980. Bradshaw is 14-5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Bradshaw

In his 14-season career, Bradshaw completed 2,025 of 3,901 passes for 27,989 yards and 212 touchdowns. He also rushed 444 times for 2,257 yards and 32 touchdowns. He was 107-51 as the starting quarterback and the Steelers reached the playoffs 10 times. His career postseason record as a starter was 14-5. He was also selected to play in three Pro Bowl games.

Awesome find
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
bigchuck
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16933

ben wins games flat out, i dont care what stats he says theres no better in the clutch in the NFL right now then ben, no matter the situation (3rd and 16) when the big games on the line he delivers and is why hes been so sucessful in the playoffs. bens not the "smoothest" qb out there but when it comes to intangibles no one is on his orbit, he stands alone.
bigchuck is offline   Reply With Quote