Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Brett Keisel's beard 'lives on'

Brett Keisel's beard 'lives on'
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=6028165

Now-legendary facial hair makes veteran Steelers DE stand out, so does steady play

PITTSBURGH -- The beard has its own Facebook page now, 700-plus admirers strong. It is the source of admiration and stares, high-fives and complaints, love and hate.

Brett Keisel emerged from the showers Saturday night, and there were a 100 things to say. There was the Pro Bowl invitation he'd received earlier in the day, the first ever in a nine-year career. There was the fumble he pounced on that helped the Pittsburgh Steelers gut out a blood-and-mud 31-24 divisional playoff victory over the Baltimore Ravens.

Keisel walked to his locker, and a throng soon gathered.

"The beard lives on," he said.

And so ended another night in Pittsburgh, where the defense does little to live up to its on-the-field persona. James Harrison, the beastly linebacker known for his jarring hits, could be found late Saturday hanging out with his little boy, who sat in a stall next to his locker. Troy Polamalu, the fearsome safety with the wild mane, walked gingerly out of the shower with a giant, wooden cross around his neck. He spoke in quiet tones.

Keisel is known as "The Diesel." He stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 285 pounds. He didn't just grow a beard, he unleashed something so out of control that it looks as if two small animals were laid to rest on his face. Yet, it's clear he's part of the soul of this team. In a 10-minute span Saturday night, two players -- one current, one former -- walked up to Keisel to say they loved him.

Last week, coach Mike Tomlin put on the board the names of some of the team's youngsters, guys who haven't been to a Super Bowl or the playoffs but would probably be called upon Saturday to help push the Steelers toward their seventh ring. Tomlin asked his veterans to show the younger guys the way. Keisel was more than happy to help.

He has been with the team since 2002 but was never one of the more recognizable faces. The Steelers' schemes don't allow Keisel to put up big numbers like Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, defensive ends for the Colts who are Pro Bowl staples. Keisel has always been fine with that.

He joked that the P.A. guy picked a bad time to announce his Pro Bowl selection, delivering the news when the Steelers had just given up a touchdown and fell behind 14-7 in the first half.

"I'm sitting there pissed off on the sidelines," Keisel said, laughing. "I wanted to stand up and blow the crowd kisses, but I couldn't."

There was no joking around at halftime. Pittsburgh was down, 21-7. Against a defense like the Ravens, it seemed like 41-7. Keisel said the Steelers were hanging their heads, and it was the veterans' jobs to lift the team up.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

"We came in at halftime, and everyone just checked himself," Keisel said. "We understood where we were at, down 14 points. And everybody gut-checked himself."

The Steelers decided then that they needed two turnovers to make up for the two the Ravens had in the first half. They came up with three. And all of them came in the third quarter, which ended in a tie at 21. Keisel recovered the last one, a fumbled snap by Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco.

It was one of the defense's most inspired games of the season. It gave up just 126 yards, surrendering 28 in the final 30 minutes. When it was over, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said nothing is ever surprising in the Ravens-Steelers series. The defenses are tough. The outcomes are draining.

But Keisel didn't seem all that tired. He's going for a third ring, which he said would look good on his pinkie. He's keeping the beard, which isn't good news for his wife.

She reportedly bought him a razor for Christmas, which is collecting dust. Keisel has been growing the beard out since June, and he can't get rid of it now. Not with the AFC Championship looming. Not when the defense is playing so well.

"I don't mind the beard," Keisel said. "But I'm sick of the mustache getting into my food. I can't put my mouthpiece in without biting on it.

"I'm sick of it, but I'm a team guy, and I'm going to ride this 'til the very end."

Elizabeth Merrill is a senior writer for ESPN.com. She can be reached at merrill2323@hotmail.com. ESPN reporter Greg Garber contributed to this report.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
drucifer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9518
Default Re: Brett Keisel's beard 'lives on'

Of course he can't cut it now! It's an independant entity, and by this point has most likely developed self-awareness and is capable of abstract thought. It'd be like murder!
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387

Since ancient times, men have assumed hair equals strength. No wonder bald men are so pissed.
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,033 Times in 2,579 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

Why shave it ? I mean it OBVIOUSLY doesn't effect his GREAT Running abilties :-) I mean just look at his moves....

sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

He doesn't have a beard. The Beard has a Brett Keisel.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
He doesn't have a beard. The Beard has a Brett Keisel.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

He's not growing a playoff beard. It's a Dynasty Beard. And he's so American that he's raising a nest of Bald Eagles inside of it.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,968 Times in 892 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
He's not growing a playoff beard. It's a Dynasty Beard. And he's so American that he's raising a nest of Bald Eagles inside of it.
good deal because they're about to be extinct
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,523 Posts

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote