Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rex Ryan, Jets tone down trash talk in run-up to Steelers

Rex Ryan, Jets tone down trash talk in run-up to Steelers
04:42 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-to-steelers/1

A toned-down Rex Ryan indicated Monday that the New York Jets might tone down their approach to trash talk as they prepare for the Pittsburgh Steelers in Sunday's AFC championship game.

The Jets won 28-21 in New England on Sunday in a game in which Ryan personally set the tone for a week of trash talk when the said the game was a "personal" matchup between him and Patriots coach Bill Belichick. The previous week, Ryan had called the Jets' wild-card date with the Indianapolis Colts a "personal" test with Peyton Manning.

On Monday, Ryan heaped praise upon his next counterpart, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who he said was "one of my favorite coaches."

He said he had no script of trash talk he expects to follow.

"That game was different, every game is different," Ryan said. "I don't have a plan on what to say ... I just say it the way it is. If you can't get motivated to win an AFC championship game, I don't know what else you need."

Pressed on why there might be less trash talk against the Steelers, Ryan -- the former Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator -- joked he could mix it up with his former rivals.

"Give me somebody you want to call out ... I guess Hines Ward, Casey Hampton," he said.

Ryan acknowledged the win against the Patriots meant something special for the Jets, who lost 45-3 in New England in December. And he said it was the second-biggest victory in franchise history, after the Jets' win in Super Bowl III.

"I felt that Belichick had dominated me the time before," Ryan said. He vowed to himself that "no way is that gonna happen to me again. ... I'm not in his class, not even close. But he was going to get my best shot."

The Steelers lost to the Jets 22-17 in Week 15, but Ryan expressed admiration for Tomlin and his team. He may have given some insight into how he motivated his team to prepare the Patriots too.

Describing a previous game against Tomlin when Ryan was coaching for the Ravens, Ryan said he was in a game where "we couldn't stop a nose bleed."

That was the same phrase Jets LB Bart Scott used to describe the Patriots in a postgame tirade about the Jets not receiving any respect on Sunday.

Said Scott, "All we hear is about (the Patriots') defense. They can't stop a nose bleed. Twenty-fifth in the league, and we the one that gets disrespected."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,580 Times in 2,376 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Rex Ryan, Jets tone down trash talk in run-up to Steelers

what would he call out casey hampton for? challenge him to a hot dog eating contest? lol
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
revisisland
Water Boy

Member Number: 17740

Rex likes Tomlin and it wont get seriously personal with the two teams. Heck, everything romartie and bart scott have said about big ben has been complimentary thus far. Rex has a vendetta with baltimore not pitt. Baltimore snubbed rex who had served in baltimore for 10 years in favor of an outside hire in harbaugh who got to take credit for the success of the team he inherited by riding off of the dominant defense that rex worked to preserve as DC id be pissed if i were him too. So, in short, if it was personal with any AFC N team it would be bal, not pitt.
revisisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
what would he call out casey hampton for? challenge him to a hot dog eating contest? lol

Only if they're foot-longs.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Well what is there to trash talk about?

Rex beat a Steeler team that was probably looking past the Jets a bit and was without Miller and Troy.

Ben threw for more yards than Sanchez, threw more TD's than Sanchez and we out-rushed them by 40 yards. The only real game-changing moments were the kickoff return and a goofy hand-off that resulted in a safety.

It may have been a loss, but it wasn't a loss that was the result of the Jets dominating or anything. It was more about Heath and Troy being out and the team just having a bad game.

Rex knows that he didn't beat any "A" Team so there's nothing to trash on.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,154 Times in 479 Posts

Let 'em talk, it won't change the fact that 70,000 Steelers fans will be ready to turn that place upside down. No matter how high the stakes are, we are going to show up and punch them in the mouth. I hope their getting that N.E, emotional win off their chest, this is our bread and butter. I hope their ready because this is going to be a 60 minute dog fight that N.E didn't want to play.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,580 Times in 2,376 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

on a serious note, rex coached with the ravens and know that talking trash to the steelers doesn't work, you piss our boys off, they play better. I don't remember a single time a team coming in talking trash come out with a victory very often. The teams that beat us usually don't talk at all and surprise us. this team plays better angry, and rex knows that by now. he's smart to stay quiet this time.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful

Rex isn't going to talk shit because he remembers what has happened to him every time his defense ran their mouth before a game with us. So does Bart Scott. Remember the bounty incident on Hines? Yeah that shit didn't work out to well. He know talking shit to the Steelers does nothing but piss them off, and that's the last think you want to do.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
wnyBob
Water Boy

Member Number: 17493

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Let 'em talk, it won't change the fact that 70,000 Steelers fans will be ready to turn that place upside down. No matter how high the stakes are, we are going to show up and punch them in the mouth. I hope their getting that N.E, emotional win off their chest, this is our bread and butter. I hope their ready because this is going to be a 60 minute dog fight that N.E didn't want to play.
Rex is being quite probably trying to figure out how to explain to the NY media that Sanchez is in therapy for having nightmares this week seeing himself either on his back staring up at the stadium lights and a blur of yellow towels or watching someone in a black jersey running the other way with one of his passes. Not that he should be intimadated or anything but I head Rex wouldn't let him watch the Baltimore and Flaco demise reruns. ooooooo it's gonna be cold and painful! Welcome to PA from warm Southern Calif.
wnyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

He can talk all he wants, I doubt we will be saying to much before the game.

Rex knows what he will say, and it will be anything he can to redirect any talk about his weak QB. Perhaps another video surfaces about his wife this week doing a horse, who knows what the Ryans are into and at what cost they will sell out family members for a win, lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote