Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default For Holmes, the Foe is Familiar

For Holmes, the Foe is Familiar
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
By ADITI KINKHABWALA

With shoulder pads and tape strewn all over the floor, the stunning upset of the Patriots in the books and the Jets' AFC-title-game ticket officially punched, Jerricho Cotchery stood in the chaos of the visitors' locker room at Gillette Stadium and felt safe admitting it: he and fellow receiver Santonio Holmes had been late to their meeting with the quarterbacks Saturday night.

Because they were watching the Steelers game.

Nine months and exactly one week ago, the Steelers sent Mr. Holmes to the Jets, dumping him after one too many off-the-field incidents. Now, this Sunday, he'll become the first-ever Super Bowl MVP to face his old team in a conference title game.

"To be able to win the AFC Championship game and go to the Super Bowl on that field? For him it would probably be a dream come true," running back LaDainian Tomlinson said, imagining his own situation were he to face the Chargers, who dealt him last year. "This has to be huge."

Steady and generally not demonstrative, Mr. Holmes gave hint to that in the aftermath of the Jets' 28-21 win Sunday night in Foxborough. As the Jets came off the field and through the Gillette Stadium tunnel, Mr. Tomlinson heard the Jets' fans' chants of "LT! LT! LT!" and thumped his chest repeatedly. Linebacker Bart Scott flung his arms out and weaved liked a jet plane. Jason Taylor stuck his pointer finger in the air, clenched his fist and let loose a primal, "Yes!" twice.

Then there was Mr. Holmes, a player former Ohio State teammate and current Jet teammate Nick Mangold called "always cool," pushing his 5-foot-11 frame up the sides of the tunnel to high-five green-clad fans.

"No question, I was watching for those guys," he said later, sitting in the locker room and acknowledging that, as Mr. Cotchery said, he was glued to the Steelers' 31-24 comeback victory over the Ravens Saturday evening. "No question I want to see those guys."

Mr. Holmes had just finished out a now-customary big-play game for the Jets. In the third quarter, right after the Patriots had methodically marched down the field and pulled to within 14-11, he made a gorgeous play on a third-down pass, perfectly dragging his two feet inside the left back corner of end zone for a seven-yard touchdown.

On that play, quarterback Mark Sanchez was looking for matchups and picked the one that's quickly become one of his favorites. Mr. Holmes, in what has also become an "always" practice, credited Mr. Sanchez for a "beautiful pass."

For four years, Mr. Holmes was making plays just like that on Heinz Field. The Steelers let him go in April, though, just as the league handed down a four-game suspension for violating its substance-abuse policy. All the Steelers got in return for the 25th overall pick in the 2006 draft was the Jets' fifth-round pick. They eventually traded that for 29-year old cornerback Bryant McFadden and a 2010 sixth-round pick, Central Michigan receiver Antonio Brown.

But Mr. Holmes said wanting to see the Steelers again isn't about avenging the move, or proving the trade was a mistake. The Jets already went out to Pittsburgh last month and won 22-17 in a game that had three ties and two lead changes.

"Never even cared about that," he said Sunday night, sitting quietly on a stool in the Jets' locker room. "The situation was given, opportunity was presented. I'm taking advantage of what I got right now."

The reason he wants to be in Pittsburgh, he said, is, "I know what their defense is all about. I know how I can help my team exploit their defense, and we're going to use every bit of it this week."

And so this week, he said, there won't be any late meetings.

"He's a Jet now," said receiver Brad Smith. "He'll be focused on us."

(I don't mind that we dumped Holmes but I wish we had dumped him to a NFC losers like the Cardinals. Then he would have never been a threat to us. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Default Re: For Holmes, the Foe is Familiar

Doesn't he know who defense he is versing? Is Lebeau's and trust me Lebeau will bring something new and fresh which will blow Sanchez's mind. Also Sanchez has not versed Troy yet. On game film, you can point out where he is, but it's a completely different story during the game. No one can emulate Troy, he'll be ready this week.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,200 Times in 504 Posts

What position did Santonio play on defense? Man, he knows jack-shit. I bet he NEVER intended ONE of the defensive meetings his whole tenure here. Santonio knows nothing and can probably only tell them what they will already see on tape.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,583 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

what foe is he talking about? the pittsburgh police department?
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Ohhh, this is going to be good.
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,200 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Man, that was awesome! +1!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
Farrior_roirraW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12978

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
The reason he wants to be in Pittsburgh, he said, is, "I know what their defense is all about. I know how I can help my team exploit their defense, and we're going to use every bit of it this week."
Just like in week 15?

"I am proud to be a Steeler, no doubt about it. I was born to be a Steeler." - Farrior
Farrior_roirraW is offline   Reply With Quote