Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,897 Times in 858 Posts
Default Question to Christians ?

Its Christmas time again. The season for giving and celebration. Everyone buys, buys, and buys gifts and presents for their children and loved ones. The kids get to write to Santa Claus and perhaps go and take a picture with him at the local mall. Early Christmas morning everyone opens their gifts, family's visits each other, has a feast and get's drunk and passes out. Then prep for the New Years Eve party next week. Kool...
But if I'm not mistaken, is not Christmas the celebration of Jesus's birthday ? I know that I have not seen one (1) celebration that honored Jesus's birthday in the form of a birthday party just for him ? Of course I'm not a Christian (but Jewish), so therefore I may have missed something ? Any explanation of why there is'ent any birthday parties / celebrations for Jesus ?

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,630 Times in 1,570 Posts
Default Re: Question to Christians ?

Christmas' pagan origins

Few people realize that the origins of a form of Christmas was pagan & celebrated in Europe long before anyone there had heard of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on. From the biblical description, most historians believe that his birth probably occurred in September, approximately six months after Passover. One thing they agree on is that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter. So why do we celebrate Christ’s birthday as Christmas, on December the 25th?

The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.

In Rome, the Winter Solstice was celebrated many years before the birth of Christ. The Romans called their winter holiday Saturnalia, honoring Saturn, the God of Agriculture. In January, they observed the Kalends of January, which represented the triumph of life over death. This whole season was called Dies Natalis Invicti Solis, the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun. The festival season was marked by much merrymaking. It is in ancient Rome that the tradition of the Mummers was born. The Mummers were groups of costumed singers and dancers who traveled from house to house entertaining their neighbors. From this, the Christmas tradition of caroling was born.
In northern Europe, many other traditions that we now consider part of Christian worship were begun long before the participants had ever heard of Christ. The pagans of northern Europe celebrated the their own winter solstice, known as Yule. Yule was symbolic of the pagan Sun God, Mithras, being born, and was observed on the shortest day of the year. As the Sun God grew and matured, the days became longer and warmer. It was customary to light a candle to encourage Mithras, and the sun, to reappear next year.

Huge Yule logs were burned in honor of the sun. The word Yule itself means “wheel,” the wheel being a pagan symbol for the sun. Mistletoe was considered a sacred plant, and the custom of kissing under the mistletoe began as a fertility ritual. Hollyberries were thought to be a food of the gods.

The tree is the one symbol that unites almost all the northern European winter solstices. Live evergreen trees were often brought into homes during the harsh winters as a reminder to inhabitants that soon their crops would grow again. Evergreen boughs were sometimes carried as totems of good luck and were often present at weddings, representing fertility. The Druids used the tree as a religious symbol, holding their sacred ceremonies while surrounding and worshipping huge trees.

In 350, Pope Julius I declared that Christ’s birth would be celebrated on December 25. There is little doubt that he was trying to make it as painless as possible for pagan Romans (who remained a majority at that time) to convert to Christianity. The new religion went down a bit easier, knowing that their feasts would not be taken away from them.

Christmas (Christ-Mass) as we know it today, most historians agree, began in Germany, though Catholics and Lutherans still disagree about which church celebrated it first. The earliest record of an evergreen being decorated in a Christian celebration was in 1521 in the Alsace region of Germany. A prominent Lutheran minister of the day cried blasphemy: “Better that they should look to the true tree of life, Christ.”

The controversy continues even today in some fundamentalist sects.
http://www.essortment.com/all/christmaspagan_rece.htm

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Christ is a big fan of consumer capitalism. I thought everyone knew that. Just spend five minutes watching the 700 Club, or TBN, and you'll see the light.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,630 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Christ is a big fan of consumer capitalism. I thought everyone knew that. Just spend five minutes watching the 700 Club, or TBN, and you'll see the light.
not true... you have to send a donation to see the light....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Some churches do have "birthday party" celebrations during the Christmas season. Others that I know don't do that, but include various things within their services to honor the birth of Christ.

To me, the particular date really doesn't matter. I still believe that setting a time aside to reflect and be grateful for the gift of Christ coming to earth in human form is an act of worship and honoring to God. As far as all of the other trappings that come with Christmas, I think family traditions are awesome. Personally I think God doesn't really give a flip about trees, lights, gifts, etc, one way or the other. People always seem to find ways to fight about such things that ultimately don't matter.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

[YOUTUBE]U5yKfmjwIbg[/YOUTUBE]
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,120 Times in 440 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

christmas these says is for santa not jesus
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
urgle burgle
Starter

Member Number: 12834
My Mood: Confused

when i was a kid, i used to make a birthday card for the Big Guy.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
caplovestroyp43
Banned

Member Number: 16490
My Mood: Angelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
Some churches do have "birthday party" celebrations during the Christmas season. Others that I know don't do that, but include various things within their services to honor the birth of Christ.

To me, the particular date really doesn't matter. I still believe that setting a time aside to reflect and be grateful for the gift of Christ coming to earth in human form is an act of worship and honoring to God. As far as all of the other trappings that come with Christmas, I think family traditions are awesome. Personally I think God doesn't really give a flip about trees, lights, gifts, etc, one way or the other. People always seem to find ways to fight about such things that ultimately don't matter.
Right On!! My mom seems to think Christ was born in the Spring. Guess we'll never know but I'm glad we have a day to recognize God's most Wonderful Gift to mankind.
caplovestroyp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
therocksteeler
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6324

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post

I like ....... well put!