Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,026 Times in 412 Posts
Default Big Question: Steelers' special teams

Will the Pittsburgh Steelers clean up their special-teams gaffes from their regular-season meeting with the New York Jets?

Your resident AFC North blogger asked Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on Tuesday what the Steelers need to do better on special teams in their rematch against the Jets.

"We need to stop Brad Smith from going 97 yards," Tomlin said. "That's a good start."

Contrary to popular belief, the Steelers didn't lose to the Jets in Week 15 because of poor offense or poor defense. The Steelers outgained the Jets by 101 yards, and Pittsburgh's offense outscored New York's 17-13.

But hidden yards on special teams and Smith's 97-yard kickoff return for a touchdown proved to be the difference in New York's 22-17 victory. New York gained 177 total yards on kickoff and punt returns, which had an impact on field position and consistently gave the Jets a short field. This will be an area to watch for Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship Game.

Pittsburgh's coverage teams have been an issue in previous seasons, so much so that the Steelers fired former special-teams coach Bob Ligashesky and hired Al Everest this season. Pittsburgh's special teams have made strides in the first year under Everest. But his unit probably had its worst game of the season against the Jets.

Smith missed the Jets' divisional-round victory over the New England Patriots on Sunday with a groin injury. His status for this Sunday's game is still to be determined, but the Steelers know the Jets are still dangerous in the third phase of the game.

"They're a very good group," Tomlin said. "It doesn't matter whether Brad Smith is back there or [Antonio] Cromartie is back there. You saw what [Cromartie] did against Indianapolis at a critical time. He's a very capable and dangerous return man, but they have a team of potentially capable return men."
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
btaylor179
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15251
Default Re: Big Question: Steelers' special teams

i shut my eyes when special teams is on field
btaylor179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,192 Times in 3,455 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor179 View Post
i shut my eyes when special teams is on field
me too! I don't look forward to any kick, wether it's us or the opponent returning. It's funny, during the Bears game the other day, Hester had a fair catch and the crowd let out a dissapointed "OOHHHH."

I would take a fair catch anyday over what the Steelers usually give us on special teams
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609

To be honest, I love our ST guys as it goes to getting down the field and tackling. Yeah sure every team has a blunder here and there. But what scares me is how our kicker has only kicked the ball to the 12-15 yard line, and it's not really a high kick. Other teams returners are easily getting the ball it seems to the 35 + yard line. But, our tacklers out there, like Mundy, and S.Sylvester, and others have been a far cry better then the ones I remember a few seasons back. If we could only draft a kicker who is a decent FG kicker, but has great kick-off range, and can consistently put it in the endzone I would be Happy as Heck
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

I wish we'd sign someone with a big leg specifically for kickoffs. Most times the ball never goes pass the 10.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Jetsfan115
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
I wish we'd sign someone with a big leg specifically for kickoffs. Most times the ball never goes pass the 10.
wasn't jeff reed good at that?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts

Only thing Im scared of. If it werent for the special teams, I would be 100% confident right now,
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan115 View Post
wasn't jeff reed good at that?
.......... you've never watched the steelers before have you ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
realdeal
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10935

Jeff Reed was good at getting drunk!! Kickoffs were terrible!!
realdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
.......... you've never watched the steelers before have you ?
Apparently not. Hell, Jeff Reed was even worse.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote