Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
wutchy
Banned

Member Number: 17595
Default UH-OH! TROUBLE IN STEELER LAND!

I was just drawing up some schemes and plays. I kept finding the same mismatch and advantage time after time.
I have 6'2" Ike Taylor covering 6'3" Braylon Edwards.
I have William Gay covering #10-[you know who] Santonio.
I have injured McFadden covering Cotchery.

figure the jets to work on Gay against Santonio.******************

I have Clark playing one deep to help any corner that gets beat on a double move or falls down.

I have the steeler D in a one deep robber, with Troy playing up and covering Tomlinson out of the backfield off play action fakes.

I have a LB - either Sam or Will - covering TE Keller.

I have an ILB blitzing, with robber Troy filling the space against the run or pass to Tomlinson.

Here is why i said "UH-OH". I keep drawing up plays that exploit Gay against Santonio, and Tomlinson against Troy, and Keller against Woodley or Harrison.
I just don't like those match-ups. Sanchez isn't a good deep ball thrower, so I'm not toooo concerned about Ike getting beat on a double move.
McFadden should be able to handle Cotchery, but B MAC is hurting. If B MAC can't go, that means someone like Mundy, Madison will cover Cotchery.
Another cause for worry.

The only answer that i can find is a 2 deep robber, with Troy and Clark deep, and someone like Mundy or Madison playing up the way Troy usually plays. But that is 6 DB's. Which means a 3-2 stack with 3 pass rushers, and 2 LB's. Both of which will be busy covering Tomlinson out of the backfield, and Keller in space - WITH HELP FROM THE ROBBER SAFETY - EITHER MUNDY OR MADISON.

That means we'll have to get pressure on Sanchez with 3 down linemen. With MAYBE little help from the robber- but when the robber shows blitz, figure them to attack the LB's with Tomlinson out of the backfield, or Keller in space. Whcih will put a lot of pressure on Harrison and Woodley's cover skills.

I can't find a coverage that makes me feel comfortable.
wutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts
Default Re: UH-OH! TROUBLE IN STEELER LAND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutchy View Post
I was just drawing up some schemes and plays. I kept finding the same mismatch and advantage time after time.

I have Clark playing one deep to help any corner that gets beat on a double move or falls down.

I have the steeler D in a one deep robber, with Troy playing up and covering Tomlinson out of the backfield off play action fakes.

I have an ILB blitzing, with robber Troy filling the space against the run or pass to Tomlinson.

Here is why i said "UH-OH". I keep drawing up plays that exploit Gay against Santonio, and Tomlinson against Troy, and Keller against Woodley or Harrison.
I just don't like those match-ups. Sanchez isn't a good deep ball thrower, so I'm not toooo concerned about Ike getting beat on a double move.
McFadden should be able to handle Cotchery, but B MAC is hurting. If B MAC can't go, that means someone like Mundy, Madison will cover Cotchery.
Another cause for worry.

The only answer that i can find is a 2 deep robber, with Troy and Clark deep, and someone like Mundy or Madison playing up the way Troy usually plays. But that is 6 DB's. Which means a 3-2 stack with 3 pass rushers, and 2 LB's. Both of which will be busy covering Tomlinson out of the backfield, and Keller in space - WITH HELP FROM THE ROBBER SAFETY - EITHER MUNDY OR MADISON.

That means we'll have to get pressure on Sanchez with 3 down linemen. With MAYBE little help from the robber- but when the robber shows blitz, figure them to attack the LB's with Tomlinson out of the backfield, or Keller in space. Whcih will put a lot of pressure on Harrison and Woodley's cover skills.

Dude, you have not a CLUE how the Steelers are going to attack the Jets offense or vice versa. It's a moot point. Draw up Madden plays all you want, there's a reason why coach's stay up around the clock, 24-7 to work out their kinks. Until you "draw up" a 1,000 page full, telephone sized phonebook of schemes, then your couple won't really scare me if you feel there's mis-matches against William Gay, haha. It's ludicrous for you to to draw up your own defense when it takes even the players YEARS in the system to under stand the zone blitz packages and responsibility!

For the record, Ike is listed as our #1 corner back. His assignment will be to shadow their #1 receiver, which would be Santonio Holmes for most of the game, not Edwards. McFadden will lineup over Edwards and our Nikel guy, Gay, will lineup over Cotchery only IF they spread us out in multiple receiver sets. I'm sure the Steelers are going to use some safety help over the top of Holmes on occasion when we aren't stacking the box with an extra man to stop their ground game.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,732 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

ike vs any of their receivers won't be a mismatch. he's usually good at shutting down tall wr's like ochocinco & TO so I'm not worried about edwards vs him. Santonio creates problems but bmac/gay should be able to handle him. we have good speed in our inside backers farrior and timmons who will be there to get in the way of short crossers that make santonio dangerous. if they wanna go deep middle to him say hi to ryan clark.

bmac isn't the best cover corner but he's a sure tackler, he won't give up the huge play. gay is not nearly as bad as he's made out to be. maybe people are just homophobic and don't like his name lol.

biggest question is who will win the chess battle between sanchez or polamalu? my money is on polamalu, if sanchez doesn't know where he is on even one or two plays, you can count on a turnover happening. jets fans better hope the kid is doing his homework in film or that LT/Greene can somehow carry the load for him (which i doubt)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

They did fine the first meeting W/O Troy . . . So I am not too worried a out how our Def stacks up against the Jets Off.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
wutchy
Banned

I'd bet you any amount of money that you would want to bet that Troy won't be playing up. So there will be no Troy/Sanchez chess match.
Troy and Clark are going to have to play 2 deep. Even if Troy does play up on occassion, he will have to pick up Tomlinson out of the backfield or Keller in space.

IF TROY PLAYS UP, THEN CLARK AND MUNDY OR MADISON WILL BE 2 DEEP.

We're looking at 6 Db's. With 3 down linemen, that leaves you "2" - "TWO" LB's.

THERE - WILL - BE - NO - 3-4 - PEOPLE!!!

LEBEAU IS NOT RETARDED, HE WON'T TRY TO COVER HOLMES,EDWARDS,COTCHERY, AND KELLER WITH 4 DB'S. WON'T HAPPEN.!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
wutchy
Banned

I just double checked the rule book. We're still only allowed 11 on defense.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
KingsOfTheGridiron
Water Boy

Member Number: 17797

Quote:
That's why the Steelers have Dick LeBeau.
KingsOfTheGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
azJETSfan
Water Boy

Member Number: 17766

Quote:

Another cause for worry.

*Cotch is no speedster, but usually a good hands WR

*Holmes is your double move threat, but as you know, he makes SPECTACULAR plays...& drops the easy ones it seems lately. Sanchize is a little better (with a little confidence early) at throwing deep than you are giving him credit for & getting better ever day.

*B Easy has become the talent & clutch player the browns thought he was.

You threat, quick slants & check downs in the flats. IF the Jets play smart, they shoot deep in the 1st series at least once to keep the D from creeping. There will be some Pitch & tosses with counters if your LBs get TOO aggressive TOO fast & dont stay in their lane. Also, Smith should be back (& While I must admit I HATE IT) the seminole will be back in the rotation. I can see a small twist this time though (they did it once & I WISHED they would have waited till post season to try it) & let Brad pass. Surprisingly, Sanchize has some HANDS ... it would NOT surprise me if they had him run a 1/2 ass route since no one covers him any way & chuck one at em 20 yrds from the nearest defender. (just my thought though)
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Ike did a pretty good job last week and I see him doing well against Edwards.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,732 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by azJETSfan View Post
*Holmes is your double move threat, but as you know, he makes SPECTACULAR plays...& drops the easy ones it seems lately. Sanchize is a little better (with a little confidence early) at throwing deep than you are giving him credit for & getting better ever day.
no, not lately. he's always been like that in a steeler uniform. Catches some dirt easy catches but makes some spectacular grabs. gotta take the bad with the good with him, which I'll say is a good trade off, he makes catches when they're absolutely needed.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote