Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238
Default Too confident?

Are we as fans being too confident about beating the Jets to get to the super bowl? I see a lot of you are already counting us in. I agree that we outplayed the Jets in the regular season, and didn't have Troy or Heath, but you can throw all of that out the window, because this is the playoffs! Look at the Seahawks beating the Saints. The Jets just beat the Patriots because they are a very good team. I just think that some of you are underestimating them, and I'm a very superstitious person. What I am saying is, don't count your chickens before they hatch. I believe we are going to win this game, but I'm not getting overly confident, because that's how teams lose, and again, I'm very superstitious!

SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
sarahpalinhater
Banned

Member Number: 17609
Default Re: Too confident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain0815 View Post
Are we as fans being too confident about beating the Jets to get to the super bowl? I see a lot of you are already counting us in. I agree that we outplayed the Jets in the regular season, and didn't have Troy or Heath, but you can throw all of that out the window, because this is the playoffs! Look at the Seahawks beating the Saints. The Jets just beat the Patriots because they are a very good team. I just think that some of you are underestimating them, and I'm a very superstitious person. What I am saying is, don't count your chickens before they hatch. I believe we are going to win this game, but I'm not getting overly confident, because that's how teams lose, and again, I'm very superstitious!

I agree with what you are saying. I pointed out that in the past, we have always played home playoff games too conservately. And that might hurt us again. But, since we lost to this team a month ago at home, I think that will be the key thing that keeps the team focused. But in america,,,,ANYTHING is possible. Sure we could lose. But if we do, it will be just that, WE will lose. The Jets will NOT beat us. I just don't see any real advantages for them over us in most of the key areas. But yeah, IF we have a brain Dead day, and turn it over a few times. Or commit too many drive killing penalties, yes, we could lose. As a practical fan I have to admit that.
sarahpalinhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

With areas of critical weakness on the offensive line and in special teams, I'm not confident at all. I think all will depend on how well the Steelers offense performs against a very tough and intelligent defense.

Just remember that many of the Steelers points in the last game came in short-field situations. They may not be so fortunate this time around. Also, third and 19 isn't going to cut it against the crew they are going against. The Steelers will have to play smarter football on offense to beat this Jets team in the playoffs. They will have to bring their "A" game. This means making positive gains on first downs and creating manageable 3rd down situations for Ben to handle. They also have to mix it up in 2nd down situations. No longer will run, run, pass, punt will work. I expect to see strategic blitzes of Ben in Third and Long situations, and usually those don't turn out so well.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #4
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238

I agree with both of you, I'm just not going to write us in yet. We have the advantage with the game being at Heinz, and with the way our D is playing right now, but the Jets are a very well coached team and are a lot like us in many ways. You have to give them respect. This is going to be a hard fought battle just like the Ravens game. I hope it's not such a nailbiter, but those games make good times to . With all that being said, I believe we will win this game.
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #5
Diamond-D
Water Boy

Member Number: 17576

Well, I'm not superstitious at all but I do agree that some fans are very confident (some might say overconfident).

Of course I think we are a good chance to win and I'd even agree that we probably deserve to go in as favorites. But we definitely aren't the overwhelming favorites that some seem to think we are. The Jets really stepped it up against the Patriots and while we are a completely different team in style that doesn't necessarily mean the Jets will have trouble adjusting. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Nothing is a foregone conclusion in the playoffs, especially given the teams the Jets have beaten.

It's fine to be confident when circumstances warrant it, but I don't think this is a game Steelers fans should be overconfident and arrogant about as the Jets are in with a very good chance.
Diamond-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069

You should look at the overconfident and ****y Jets Fans. I already heard a couple of them saying beating The Steelers is going to be easier than beating the Pats and Indy Personally at times I am confident, but sometimes I'm not. Neither Jets or Steelers Fans should be too confident going into this game. It's okay being sorta confident, but not too confident. I still feel The Steelers have good chance, even though special teams need to be on point and offense needs to protect Ben a little better, but other than that, I'm sure it will go fine. The Steelers know the stakes, as well as the Jets probably. But I feel The Steelers are a little more experienced in playoffs than The Jets.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain0815 View Post

Our overconfidence as fans has absolutely no effect on what takes place on the field, although it might make us louder @ Heinz Field come game time.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #8
CASTEEL
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 884

Not overconfident here ... but I do like our chances better that if we were going to Patsy land... Plus I like that we've played 'em and lost to 'em ... I think that a benefit :)
Old 01-19-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Fans can be as confident as they want it is the players who must not get to overconfident.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

I warned fans about becoming over-confident, reminding them of previous times when the Steelers hosted playoff games against teams thought to be inferior (1992, '94, '97, '01, and '04) that the team lost, and the idea was poo-poo'd.

it'll depened-upon which Steeler team shows-up Sunday, the team that turned the ball over in the first half against Baltimore, or the group that dominated the 2nd half of that same game