Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Super Bowl ring would cap career for 'The Hotel'

Super Bowl ring would cap career for 'The Hotel'
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_718785.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 19, 2011

For a man who would be nicknamed "The Hotel" because of his immense size, Flozell Adams seemed a perfect fit for the football field.

But not in his mind.

Rather than filling his nights studying blocking schemes, Adams concentrated on English, science and Renaissance and Medieval history -- standard stuff for your typical 6-foot-5, 265-pound high school sophomore.

Now he is close to making history of his own -- earning his first Super Bowl ring in a career filled with accolades. As he's done all year, Adams will start at right tackle for the Steelers when they host the New York Jets on Sunday in the AFC Championship Game.

And he is just one win away from returning to Dallas, where he spent the first 12 seasons of his NFL career.

"It would be cool," Adams said of playing in the Super Bowl on the Cowboys' home field, "but that's not a major focus of mine. I don't care if it was in Europe, as long as I win the Super Bowl."

Adams started 178 games at left tackle for the Cowboys and made five Pro Bowls before getting released last April.

He didn't sign with the Steelers until late July after starting right tackle Willie Colon was lost for the year to an Achilles injury.

And he didn't fully commit to right tackle until Adams saw quarterback Byron Leftwich get flattened by a defensive lineman he was supposed to block.

That came in the Steelers' first preseason game against the Detroit Lions. The play only validated questions about whether Adams could make the transition from the left to the right side of the offensive line.

"Once I got to the sideline, I was thinking to myself, 'I've got some real work to do, and I'm going to definitely do it, and I'm going to make myself play right tackle the best I can,' " the 6-7, 338-pound Adams said. "I (made) the conscious decision that I'm going to work harder because I wanted to do it."

Adams might have never played football had Proviso West High coach David Glover not spotted him in the school's field house near the end of his sophomore year.

Adams hadn't played sports growing up outside of Chicago, and when Glover asked him about going out for the football team in the fall, Adams said he would think about it.

Glover pulled an end-around that summer, talking to Adams' mother. She, in turn, informed Adams that he would be playing football that season.

"She drove me up to training camp at the high school the first two days just to make sure I got on the field," Adams says. "At first I hated it. I was kind of getting beat up out there, and (Glover) kind of pulled me to the side one day and he told me that I needed to pick it up."

He did, eventually getting recruited by a host of Big Ten schools before signing with Michigan State. In East Lansing, Mich., Adams earned Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year honors -- and picked up his aforementioned moniker.

After a lengthy career in Dallas, he essentially started over after signing with the Steelers -- and not just because Adams didn't really know anyone when he arrived at St. Vincent College in Latrobe.

Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler has likened the switch Adams made to someone writing with their left hand for years, then having to do so with their right hand.

Adams went along with the position change. But he didn't embrace it until Leftwich got sacked by Lions defensive end Cliff Avril.

"He just went the wrong way," Leftwich said. "That's what preseason games are for, and we just laughed about it and went on to the next play. We knew there would be some things like that happen, but as you can see he's been playing his butt off at right tackle."

He has gone to extremes just to get on the field.

Take last Saturday.

Having left the AFC divisional playoff game because of flu-like symptoms and vomiting, Adams tried to stagger back onto the field in the fourth quarter after Jonathan Scott, who had moved from left tackle to replace him, went down with an injury.

Adams could barely stand, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin made sure he didn't re-enter the game.

"That was an ugly scene, but a beautiful one at the same time," Tomlin said. "We appreciate his intentions. His intentions are very pure. This guy wants to win. He wants to be a part of a winner."

Adams, 35, has another year left on his contract, and he said he is not considering retirement.

He wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh and will do so at right tackle, if that is what the Steelers want.

"I'm happy where I am. I'm not just saying that," Adams said. "Wherever I can go, just to participate with this organization, right tackle, left tackle, anything I can do I'm going to do."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on ...

The Jets' inability to seize momentum early in games:

"Neither have we, to be quite honest with you. The great thing about football, and particularly playoff football, is you guys can do all you want to try to write the script of how this game could potentially unfold all week. The reality is that nobody knows. That's why it's going to be awesome to be in the stadium at 6:30 on Sunday. Probably a week ago no one anticipated our score being 31-24 against the Ravens, but it was."

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward saying after a Dec. 19 game that he could have been thrown to more often while Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis was covering him:

"I've been in the league 10 years. I haven't been around a receiver who didn't think he wasn't open."

Jets wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who caught eight passes for 100 yards against the Steelers earlier this season:

"Braylon Edwards is playing really well. It kind of takes me back to the year that he had with Derek Anderson (for the Browns) my first year in the AFC North. He was a Pro Bowler. He made about every difficult catch that came his way. He was a big guy. He played to his personality. He made plays down the field. He is doing the same thing for the New York Jets this year."

What it means to be a Steeler:

"Win."

Whether he has grown since his first playoff game:

"If you're not getting better, I don't care what business you're in, you're a dead man. I try to look critically at the mistakes that I make and try to learn from them, like our team does. I like to think that I am."

Steelers-Jets matchup

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor professes a desire to cover the opponent's top receiver, and Santonio Holmes fits the bill for the New York Jets. Holmes, MVP of Super Bowl XLIII for the Steelers, had six receptions for 40 yards in the 22-17 victory over the Steelers on Dec. 19 at Heinz Field, but only two catches for 20 yards against Taylor. Holmes and Taylor's statistics this season:

Holmes

Receptions: 52

Receiving yards: 746

Yards per catch: 14.3

Touchdowns: 6

Taylor

Tackles: 66

Solo: 52

Forced fumbles: 1

Interceptions: 2

Passes defensed: 11

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458
Default Re: Super Bowl ring would cap career for 'The Hotel'

I liked Flo alot here in Dallas - his random false starts pretty much got so much flack, that everyone forgot about all the times he consistently shuts down all the NFCE premiere pass rushers(ie-Trent Cole, Osi, Andre Carter, etc). When Flo went down in 2005, Drew Bledsoe went from being an MVP candidate to back to his old self. Yes, he is THAT good.

I wished we had kept him - Doug Free his replacement has played well, but he's really not a punishing franchise type of LT.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,868 Times in 2,905 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

we're gonna need him this sunday. our offensive line struggles last game imo was a lot in part of having to put jonathan scott the scrub in the game

as much as i dislike essex at guard he's been serviceable at tackle.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Jetsfan115
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17757

and the jets have Future HOFs LT and jason taylor chasing a ring as well as shaun ellis the longest tenured jet chasing one.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
UF-Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan115 View Post
and the jets have Future HOFs LT and jason taylor chasing a ring as well as shaun ellis the longest tenured jet chasing one.
I can bet all the Steeler fans on this Steeler forum care.
UF-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,868 Times in 2,905 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF-Steeler View Post
i don't
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
Jetsfan115
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17757

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF-Steeler View Post
they should when LT goes for 2 TDs again and JT is all over big ben. Meanwhile Flozell is a human turnstyle
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
they should when LT goes for 2 TDs again and JT is all over big ben. Meanwhile Flozell is a human turnstyle
Again? What's this again stuff?

Oh....you mean like he did against the Pats defense.

He won't be seeing the Pats defense this week. Conversely, Mendy had 2 TDs against the staunch Ravens run defense. Not saying it's impossible, but as Steelers fans, we've kind of gotten used to not worrying about the run most of the time.

And we all already know that Ben is going to get sacked a few times. That's a given almost every game. Doesn't phase his play though.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Super Bowl ring would cap career for 'The Hotel'

Quote:
they should when LT goes for 2 TDs again
He's only managed to score 2 TDs in a game against Pittsburgh once in his career... SEVEN SEASONS AGO. (For your 7 lovers out there.).

In fact, his career stats against Pittsburgh are pretty pedestrian.

2001 - DNP
2002 - DNP
2003 - 22 car - 91 yards - 2TD | 6 rec - 8 yards - 0TD
2004 - DNP
2005 - 18 car - 62 yards - 1TD | 7 rec - 68 yards - 0TD
2006 - 13 car - 36 yards - 0TD | 8 rec - 34 yards - 0TD
2007 - DNP
2008 - 18 car - 57 yards - 1TD | 3 rec - 45 yards - 0TD
2009 - 7 car - 15 yards - 0TD | 1 rec - -1 yards - 0TD
2010 - 11 car - 49 yards - 0TD | 1 rec - 6 yards - 0TD

Career AVG against Pittsburgh

14 car - 51.6 yards - <1TD | 4 rec - 27 yards - 0TD

I hate to bring facts and stats into your pom-pom party Mr. Jet fan guy but, we all know that LT is usually pretty sub-par against Pittsburgh. Being as this is one of the best defenses of all-time against the run, I can't even pretend to think LT is going to do anything more than the same ole meh.

Quote:
and JT is all over big ben
He was sacked, what? 6 times in last week's win? Hit and hurried countless other times? Heck, they won their 6th Super Bowl giving up the 4th most sacks in the league. It's almost like Ben welcomes pressure. I'm pretty sure he's not worried about Mr. Taylor like you want him to be.

I digress. They still have to play the game.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
This is funny... I believe Spaeth could block Taylors old ass!!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote