Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Jets taking different tact, for now

Jets taking different tact, for now
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_718785.html#
By Bob Cohn
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 19, 2011

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The sound has been muted, the fury placed on hold awaiting its proper and intended use. The next game, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan said, "has a different feel" from the last game.

On their first day of looking ahead to the Steelers, the Jets blitzed them with kindness. It was practically a lovefest. Then again, it's early.

Getting ready for Sunday's AFC Championship Game at Heinz Field, the free-spirited, unfettered Ryan lavished praise on his opponents, notably quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, safety Troy Polamalu and coach Mike Tomlin. Jets linebacker and All-Pro trash-talker Bart Scott was silent. That was Monday. Tuesday was calm, an off day accompanied by a winter storm. No one officially talked to the media.

We will know more today when the full roster gathers for the first real practice of the week, but the "feel" so far has yet to incite anything like the verbal sideshow that preceded the Jets' 28-21 upset victory over New England.

"That game was different," Ryan said. "Every game is different, and I don't have a plan on what to say or whatever. I just talk the way it is. If you can't get motivated to win an AFC Championship Game, I don't know what else you need."

The Jets certainly were motivated to win an AFC divisional game. But that didn't keep Ryan from citing his "personal" quest to beat Patriots coach Bill Belichick. Or slighting quarterback Tom Brady's work habits, as they relate to Peyton Manning. Or cornerback Antonio Cromartie calling Brady a naughty word, among other Jets zingers.

Even after the game, many were irked by the Jets' celebratory behavior. Pats receiver Deion Branch called them "classless" and "embarrassing." Some players apparently flipped off the crowd, and Scott delivered an angry, emotional rant on television that surprised even his teammates.

"Epic, ungodly awesomeness," veteran defensive lineman Trevor Pryce marveled to the New York Times.

But that was then. This is a new week, a new game, a new opponent and higher stakes. The Jets' franchise has been to the Super Bowl just once, after the 1968 season, when quarterback Joe Namath engineered an historic upset of the Baltimore Colts and antagonized many with his brazenness by guaranteeing victory against prohibitive odds. Ryan and the current Jets are simply upholding tradition.

He noted that a) this is his third consecutive AFC Championship Game, and b) he is 0-2. Ryan took the Jets there last season in his first year as head coach before losing to Indianapolis and was Baltimore's defensive coordinator when the Steelers beat the Ravens two years ago.

"I don't know if I can handle not winning it," he said. "I need to win this game." (His post game melt down should be entertaining after he loses. - mesa)

What he does know is that the Steelers are a tough draw, despite New York's 22-17 victory at Heinz Field in December. Joking, presumably, that he would have made Roethlisberger a defensive end coming out of college because of his size and toughness, Ryan said, "We've never seen a guy take the hits he can take and also make people miss the way he does and be as accurate on the run."

Pryce said Roethlisberger is "as big as a polar bear," but he meant it in a nice way. Cornerback Darrelle Revis claimed Roethlisberger "puts a bigger stress on our defense" than Manning and Brady, whom the Jets surmounted to get this far. Ryan called Polamalu "an amazing player," and Tomlin "one of my favorite coaches," describing him as "a man's man."

Itching for the good old days of last week, someone suggested that Ryan's time with the Ravens might provide cause to make it "personal" with the Steelers. He passed on the offer.

"Give me someone you want me to call out," he said. "I guess Hines Ward and Casey Hampton. Those would be the two early targets."

But not really. More urgent matters require Ryan's attention.

"It's going to be a huge challenge," he said.

Bob Cohn can be reached at rcohn@tribweb.com or 412-320-7810.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,582 Times in 1,964 Posts
Default Re: Jets taking different tact, for now

I'd be surprised if they resort to trash talking the steelers. historically whenever that's happened it's ended badly for the other team.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Thats why their not doing it.......

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
TurkJetFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17812

jets aren't going to talk trash...it will accomplish nothing...

against the Colts and the Patriots it played its role...

but heading into the AFC Champ game all it will do is rile up the other side...Rex isn't stupid...Even Holmes is staying close to the hip with his comments.
TurkJetFan is offline   Reply With Quote