Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Back in the AFC Title Game - by Lawrence Timmons

Back in the AFC Title Game
Written by Lawrence Timmons Wednesday January 19 2011
http://www.timmons94.com/2011/01/19/...afc-title-game

It feels great to be back in the AFC Championship Game. I just feel like we worked so hard all season to get this far. We had some tough points, like the first four games, and most people probably didnít think we could make it this far. We overcame a lot of adversity, and that just goes to show what type of team we have. This team sticks together and fights as one. Thatís what makes us so tough.

We beat the Ravens on a big stage and I think I will always remember how loud the fans were that game. It was the loudest game Iíve ever played in. After every play, the fans showed how much they care. Iím sure it was tough for Baltimore to hear their plays called. And to beat another AFC North team is always a big deal, especially the fashion in which we did it, down 21-7. That victory just shows that with a strong will, anything is possible.

Now weíve got the Jets and thatís a whole new challenge. Itís nice that the road to the Super Bowl goes through Pittsburgh. Weíd much rather play the game here than take it on the road. Both us and the Jets have been kind of underdogs this season, I donít think either team was expected to get this far. Both teams have a lot to prove. It will be a hard fought battle, a defensive battle. Not a lot of points will be scored and the defenses will decide this one. Thatís the kind of game we love to be in.

Our key is definitely to stop the running game. Theyíre not really going to let Sanchez do too much. Heíll get the ball out of his hands quick, throw screens, pitches and short routes. Their offense depends on the running backs LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene, we have to shut those guys down. If we shut them down, we should win the game. We know that if everyone just does their job and nobody tries to do too much, weíll be fine.

Getting this far is also great for the city of Pittsburgh. It really does a lot for the city, especially on game days when sales are boosted in Steelers stores and restaurants by the stadium. Itís a big deal for the city. To get to another Super Bowl with six championships already, that would be incredible.

For me, I just think itís a blessing to be in my fourth year, already have a Super Bowl and be back in the AFC Championship Game. Who wouldíve thought after we were predicted to go 1-3 or 0-4 through our first four games? Itís a great accomplishment and just goes to show you how great the Pittsburgh Steelers franchise is.

One more thing, I would like to thank all the fans who follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/lawrencetimmons. After the Ravens game I must have had like 300 Tweets. So thank you for your support. I try to get back to everyone but sometimes I just canít return every Tweet. But believe me, I do appreciate your support.

Lawrence Timmons is a linebacker with the Pittsburgh Steelers. His blog for www.playerpress.com runs at www.timmons94.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527
Default Re: Back in the AFC Title Game - by Lawrence Timmons

Nothing cooler than hearing directly from a player! Great article! Great read!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,265 Times in 639 Posts

Does every single player HAVE to use the "no one thought we would be here" speech? UGH. Man, so overplayed it gives me a headache.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,039 Times in 878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Does every single player HAVE to use the "no one thought we would be here" speech? UGH. Man, so overplayed it gives me a headache.
Yes but the flip side of that is that it's better to see yourself as an underdog than to risk being too ballsy and overconfident. Doing it this way keeps you humble and hungry and those two emotions go a lot farther than saying "we're the team to beat!".
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,265 Times in 639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Yes but the flip side of that is that it's better to see yourself as an underdog than to risk being too ballsy and overconfident. Doing it this way keeps you humble and hungry and those two emotions go a lot farther than saying "we're the team to beat!".
Steelers have had the greatest defense in the history of the NFL. Even when they sucked the first 40 years of existence, the defense was awesome. Who the hell said anything about the Steelers defense other then they are amazing?

My thing is, if you want to think that, fine, just stop saying it so I don't have to hear it or read it.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Third Rail
Team Captain

Member Number: 16177

I feel good for Timmons. Plenty of people (here) gave him a lot of crap for not having instantaneous success, but he's turned out to be a really great player who has been getting accolades all over the place (NFLN, ESPN, etc.). I'd take him at middle linebacker over an arms-flailing, loudmouthed jackass like Ray Lewis any day.
Third Rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Back in the AFC Title Game - by Lawrence Timmons

Just don't let Timmons read Jetsfan115's predictions and analysis. He may start second-guessing himself.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,098 Times in 842 Posts

This is what Timmons was talking about of the energy in Heinz Field.

CRAZINESS.