Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default TV coverage of the Baltimore/Pittsburgh game

I was dissapointed a couple of times at how quickly the coverage cut away to a commercial right after a big play. They totally lost the emotion of the moment by doing this to capture more of the all mighty dollar. I realize they have to get their spots in and time is money, but in a playoff atmosphere with the big plays that were going on in the 2nd half they did their viewers an injustice.

One time I remember they cut to a commercial and then right back to the stadium after about 4 or 5 seconds as if someone made a big mistake in the booth cutting away so fast. It may have been Clark's pick but I can't remember for sure.

Heading to Pittsburgh this weekend so I'll get to feel the emotion instead of having to rely on TV to see it, but the tradeoff will be missing all the replay angles, figuering out who's not in and are they hurt, and missing the play by play or commentary.

TV coverage has come a long way and it really is great watching the games on TV, I just wish they'd stick with certain moments a little longer instead of trying to sell me soap 3 seconds after my team just made a game changing play.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: TV coverage of the Baltimore/Pittsburgh game

I wish the TV coverage would show more of the back end of the defense pre-snap.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
stand undefeated
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 507

Yep... I know exactly what you mean.

Flacco dumps it off to Rice... tackle,FUMBLE, recoveredCOMMERCIAL.

Flacco drops back to pass.... INTERCEPTION Ryan Clark, run back of 17 yards, tackleCOMMERCIAL.
stand undefeated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
wutchy
Banned

Member Number: 17595

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
I wish the TV coverage would show more of the back end of the defense pre-snap.
That gets on my nerves too. I try to account for everyone on the defense pre-snap. You usually have to use numbers, or the absense of a number. Sometimes a deep safety will be 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage, so i guess you can't blame the camera man for not zooming out to give us a quick peek.

When I'm watching at home, i like the frequent commercials. You can get a beer, take a leak, grab something from the fridge, refill your salsa and chips, roll a cigarette, all kinds of stuff.
wutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,497 Times in 667 Posts

I was just talking about this last night with my brother-in-law (a Jet fan, BTW - I wished him luck 'cuz I'm a swell guy).

I told him that right after the turnover there was a 30-second spot for a phone or some other friggin' thing and I said "Of all the times to just cut to a commercial --- like anyone watching that game gave a rat's azz about having a phone marketed to them right at that point".

I was pissed when they did that, but being CBS I wasn't surprised. CBS is the absolute worst when it comes to commercial breaks. At least NBC (on Sunday night) tends to stick with the action in critical moments like that.

While I'm on a rant, CBS also needs to lose that annoying offensive / defensive lineup crap with the players' heads telling everyone who they are and what college they came from along with the music that goes with it.

Just put the damn names up and leave it at that; announcing a lineup doesn't need to be so dramatic.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Broadcast was set up to go to commercial at a change of possession about the 10 minute mark of the third quarter - that happened to come around the time of the Rice fumble so you got the replay of the Rice fumble after they sold something - if the Steelers had scored or held the ball for several first downs to start the third quarter the commercial would have come afterthey scored or punted to the Ravens

Same reason we got replays of the 58 yard throw to Brown out of commercials following teh 2:00 warning

When you flip around on Sunday Ticket and see the same commercial 4 times in a 2 minute span for different games you get an appreciation for how coreographed the scheduling of commercial breaks at certain times in the game are - that's what pays those fees to broadcast the NFL
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
While I'm on a rant, CBS also needs to lose that annoying offensive / defensive lineup crap with the players' heads telling everyone who they are and what college they came from along with the music that goes with it.

Just put the damn names up and leave it at that; announcing a lineup doesn't need to be so dramatic.
But then we would not get Ike Taylor saying his name and, in place of where he went to school, then saying "swagging".

I think NBC pulls that stunt, not CBS - CBS shows pictures of the various offensive and defensive units after which they zoom in on one player's picture in the unit
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,497 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
But then we would not get Ike Taylor saying his name and, in place of where he went to school, then saying "swagging".

I think NBC pulls that stunt, not CBS - CBS shows pictures of the various offensive and defensive units after which they zoom in on one player's picture in the unit
Actually, I think it's MNF that does the voices but CBS does the heavy music with that magpie Nantz chattering away right up until (and sometimes even after) the play starts.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

I'm pretty sure Ike has never said Swagging in his life.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote