Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,039 Times in 878 Posts
Default Superstitions

What superstitious stuff do you do when watching a game or even leading up to a game? Do you do anything special or weird, or do you just say the hell with it and go about your business?

For me, if I'm watching at home, I can't wear "colors" on game day. Evey single time (it seems) if I wear anything with Steeler colors on game day they either lose or have way more problems than they should.

If I actually go to a game, then there's no problem at all and I get decked out in as much team stuff as I can find (including the lucky scarf my wife knitted for me). But if I'm just watching on TV, I have to be careful not to wear anything that might put the whammy on anything.

How 'bout you guys?
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
TailgateMel
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8498
Default Re: Superstitions

Well, I just spent wayyy too much $$ to insure I got a parking pass for the "lucky" tailgating lot I'm always in. We were there for the superbowl years, but last year moved to another lot and we didn't even make the playoffs... so - I'm a little superstitious about that lot.

Mel

100% Certified Grade-A SteelerChick
TailgateMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,098 Times in 842 Posts

I'm about the ONLY family left in my community with their Christmas tree still up. We believe that our Christmas tree brings the Steelers good luck in the playoffs. Some people agree, but really, we believe there's some magical Myron Cope, Art Rooney the Chief mist that boils right in the center of our Christmas tree lmao. The last time we left it up until Feb, we won the Superbowl twice! HERE WE GO!

Our whole family, if we win, will wear the SAME EXACT jersey's, jeans, sweatpants, slippers, earrings, etc than the last week and have the same food. If we lose, we will then switch it up for a new win streak.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I'm about the ONLY family left in my community with their Christmas tree still up. We believe that our Christmas tree brings the Steelers good luck in the playoffs. Some people agree, but really, we believe there's some magical Myron Cope, Art Rooney the Chief mist that boils right in the center of our Christmas tree lmao. The last time we left it up until Feb, we won the Superbowl twice! HERE WE GO!

Our whole family, if we win, will wear the SAME EXACT jersey's, jeans, sweatpants, slippers, earrings, etc than the last week and have the same food. If we lose, we will then switch it up for a new win streak.
Actually, my tree is still up but it's because we're just too lazy to take it down.

I usually have a Steelers ornament hanging from it but my couldn't find it this year. We've done OK so far without it so even if I found it I doubt I'd put it up at this stage in the game.

Then there's my Steelers wool cap which hasn't been washed since the beginning of the season and even though my wife hates it when I wear it out in public, I told her it will not see the inside of a washing machine until this is over.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
stand undefeated
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 507

The only superstition I have is trying to replicate the enviroment of gametime the week before.

This week I think i'm watching the game at home instead at my g/f's... so this could be bad!!!
stand undefeated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
I'm about the ONLY family left in my community with their Christmas tree still up. We believe that our Christmas tree brings the Steelers good luck in the playoffs. Some people agree, but really, we believe there's some magical Myron Cope, Art Rooney the Chief mist that boils right in the center of our Christmas tree lmao.
My family began doing this in 1974, and my Mother continues this tradition of leaving the tree-up until the Steelers' season ends:
2 years ago, my dad died in his chair, sitting next to that tree, the day after winning SB43

that first year (1974), I received a copy of the then-new 'About Thre Bricks Shy of a Load', about the 1973 steeler season as a Christmas gift, which I read the week before winning SB9 in January 1975:
I made a habit of re-reading that book, cover-to-cover, the week before the SB whenever the Steelers played in that game during the remainder of the 1970's, in 1995, 2005, and in 2008

With my fiancee going thru chemotherapy this Winter, we didn't put-up a Christmas tree, but I am wearing my 1990's-era ProLine coaches-style windbreaker as-often-as possible
Old 01-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Thanked 1,004 Times in 527 Posts
My Mood: Cool

I grow a playoff beard every year. My wife hates it.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
saveus1011
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14643

Well, get ready for a novel ladies and gentlemen, because I am very superstitious come playoff time.

NOW, keep in mind, I do not do this for every game, mainly just playoffs (with the exception being a playoff clinching game in the regular season, or a battle for the division.)

Like many, I grow a playoff beard (which is more like playoff peach-fuzz) but I have this thing called "The Ritual" and it goes like this -

-Wings 30 minutes before game-time
-Authentic Ben Roethlisberger jersey
-12-13 Minutes before game-time, The Three Songs of Playoffs (For those wondering, "Don't Cha", "Stickwitu", and "God Is Trying To Tell You Something".)

And during the week, I have my own Steelers Mix that I do nothing but listen to for this week's theme is "Remember December" by my future wife (HOPEFULLY) Demi Lovato.

BTW, ask me the record of this whole thing if we make it to Dallas.
saveus1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
Thanked 1,004 Times in 527 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
My family began doing this in 1974, and my Mother continues this tradition of leaving the tree-up until the Steelers' season ends:
2 years ago, my dad died in his chair, sitting next to that tree, the day after winning SB43

that first year (1974), I received a copy of the then-new 'About Thre Bricks Shy of a Load', about the 1973 steeler season as a Christmas gift, which I read the week before winning SB9 in January 1975:
I made a habit of re-reading that book, cover-to-cover, the week before the SB whenever the Steelers played in that game during the remainder of the 1970's, in 1995, 2005, and in 2008

With my fiancee going thru chemotherapy this Winter, we didn't put-up a Christmas tree, but I am wearing my 1990's-era ProLine coaches-style windbreaker as-often-as possible
I still have one of those too, lol.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #10
FanSince72
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post

For such a sad story, I still find myself smiling. You sound like you have a great family.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dad and I'll keep a good thought for your fiance.

Good luck to you all!