Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Rumor: draft day trade to get TJ Duckett

That's been my position all along...If Holmes lasts into the 20's, go ahead and grab him. Problem is, I don't think he will. There's a swarm of teams in the mid-high teens-early 20's that need WR.

He'd need to survive Miami, KC, Denver, and the the Pats to qualify, and ONE of those teams will get Jackson, and the other will grab Holmes.

Hell, I'm still not convinced that Detroit won't take a WR with their first pick. Matt Millen IS still the GM.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
That's been my position all along...If Holmes lasts into the 20's, go ahead and grab him. Problem is, I don't think he will. There's a swarm of teams in the mid-high teens-early 20's that need WR.

He'd need to survive Miami, KC, Denver, and the the Pats to qualify, and ONE of those teams will get Jackson, and the other will grab Holmes.

Hell, I'm still not convinced that Detroit won't take a WR with their first pick. Matt Millen IS still the GM.
Now thats funny, idf Detroit takes him and Liien keeps his job, then the NFL should take the team away
Old 04-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
Mean Machine
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 426

I agree, I don't like Mangold or Carpenter late in the first round...Those guys are more like second round picks...I think the Steelers have a real shot of making a draft day trade because they have two round 4 draft choices so they can afford to give up maybe a 3rd rounder to move up a bit higher...

Now, I love the idea of taking a shot at TJ Duckett, and for a 4th rounder, it wouldn't be the worst deal. He is always nicked up a lot so there's a lot of risk with him...Still, he's worth a gamble with a low risk pick...
Old 04-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #14
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

They were talking about it on ESPN's draft special today. Trey Wingo asked "What IF they take a WR first" and Sean and Golic said "There's just no way they could possibly ever..." and Wingo cut them off and said "That's EXACTLY what we said last year, and they went ahead and picked a WR with their first pick".

I'm telling you, it's clear that Matt Millen has a hard on for WR's, and he also doesn't care about death threats from fans or any of that. Rod Marinelli is definitely a defensive guy, but he's also a new coach who wants to keep his job, and Millen has already survived 3 coaching changes.

While it would be shocking, it wouldn't be impossible if we heard "And with the 9th pick in the 2006 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Chad jackson, WR, University of Florida".
Old 04-26-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine
I agree, I don't like Mangold or Carpenter late in the first round...Those guys are more like second round picks...
Wh-wh-what?

Neither of these guys will even last until pick #32, let alone the 2nd round. You need to brush up on your talent evaluation skills.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #16
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

lmao, i was finna put uh oh you gonna make suit nuts with that statment

anyway, i wouldn't mind trading up for holmes, never really seen him play but i like what i've read on him, i don't think i'd want tj, just draft humes late if you really want a big back and lendale ain't available in the first. damn i can't wait till saturday
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:59 PM   #17
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Update on Cedric Humes. His stock has fallen, and he's now being considered ONLY as a FB, which means that his rd 3-4 status has dropped to rd 5-7.

If the Steelers retain all their picks, he'd be a great 2nd day pick up. I think he'd shock some fans with his ability to be that "Big Back" we all want, and at a much cheaper price than LenDale White.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:01 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
What I found interesting in the Sports Beat Draft Round Table was Dulac's comments stating that the steelers would only consider trading up for White or Santionio Holmes, but they wont bust the bank to do so. They wont move up to 15..but they would consider a move should Holmes fall to 20 or so. They (Tunch, Dulac, Labriola) also stated that they don't feel the Steelers are interested in Carpenter or Mangold.

Who knows?
very interresting local perspective. i have to look at who ahead of carolina may want the #32 pick in a trade. id rather give up a 4th to move ahead for white, than for duckett. nice to see the steelers arent opposed to trade up for a good wr either. we know steelers can beat em on defense. the question (except for the 1st 3 playoff games last year was: could we beat em on offense?)

white or holmes would probably have significant impact on the steelers offense. not rookie of the year impacts but hines, willie, jeronme, or ben will probably never win offensive mvp.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Update on Cedric Humes. His stock has fallen, and he's now being considered ONLY as a FB, .
hmmmm. sounds like jerome. thats the good thing about the steelers. while l. white may seem like the perfect answer, they always examine good and economical backup plans.

l. white would come in and probably expect to be the next jerome bettis

humes would come in and probably hope and work hard to try and be the next bettis.

psychological advantage: humes

i think the steelers would be alright either way they go and i personally want white. he has more potential to be a larry johnson type runner than humes. but with willie parker, we dont need a l. johnson type back. drafting white could harm willies development. draftin humes tells willie the steelers have all the confidence in the world of him.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #20
dbish33
Water Boy

Member Number: 2259

Thats an interesting move....but I dont think its one they will make....they already have an aging oft injured back in Duce! Obviously they will be making some trades on Saturday, probably moving up more than once.....I dont think Lendale White will be their pick tho in the first round but they will be picking an RB up somewhere in the draft
dbish33 is offline   Reply With Quote